Old 04-15-2013, 12:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 252.2/ticker/126

Height: 5'2

Lightbulb Obsessing over Weight Loss vs. Obsessing Over Being Healthy

I'm on my second week of my 'restart' and so far so good. Lost weight this past week, am exercising more and eating less sweets. However, I've noticed that I'm majorly obsessing over losing weight--i.e. repeatedly poring over my weight loss chart, browsing for hours online on clothing websites, etc. I'm spending wayy too much time fantasizing about a slimmer me (don't worry, there's no eating disorders or anything--it's just my mindset that's unhealthy).

I realize that this isn't right and I should be obsessing over being healthy, rather than just losing weight (which will be a side effect of getting healthier). Have any of you guys struggled with this thought process? Do you have any tips for changing my mindset?

Last edited by shepherdgirl; 04-15-2013 at 12:58 AM.
shepherdgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:00 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 266/238.1/130

Height: 5'1

You could read a book called "Fat Is A Feminist Issue" which deals with the psychological aspects of eating. And you can also find books at the library about binge eating. They will help you more because they are usually written by nutritionists or psychologists.
ladykahlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:39 AM   #3  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

S/C/G: 212/104.2/120

Height: 5'2"

Glad to here you realize obsessing is not healthy either.

Find something you can do to channel your energy and redirect your weight obsession learn a new language ,learn a new skill,volunteer,....just find ways to bring positive experiences to your life....this will enhance your life at the same time you are transforming your body.

Good Luck,Roo2
Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

When I notice myself reading websites about the thing I want to do, rather than doing the thing I want to do - I get up and shut the computer off. If you are reading about being thinner, shut the computer off and go for a walk. Clean out your closet. Do some sit ups.

I have a friend who has a pinterest board all about running, pictures of runners, quotes about running and yet has every excuse in the book about why she isn't running that day.

Keeping your goal in mind is healthy, especially since you mentioned you've just "restarted" and the initial appeal of the change will soon give way to the "oh, this again" boringness of weight loss. Having a picture in your head of where you want to be can help you though the tough times, just have that picture in your head while you are walking and don't sit at the computer staring at it.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #5  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdgirl View Post
I'm on my second week of my 'restart' and so far so good. Lost weight this past week, am exercising more and eating less sweets. However, I've noticed that I'm majorly obsessing over losing weight--i.e. repeatedly poring over my weight loss chart, browsing for hours online on clothing websites, etc. I'm spending wayy too much time fantasizing about a slimmer me (don't worry, there's no eating disorders or anything--it's just my mindset that's unhealthy).

I realize that this isn't right and I should be obsessing over being healthy, rather than just losing weight (which will be a side effect of getting healthier). Have any of you guys struggled with this thought process? Do you have any tips for changing my mindset?
I don't struggle with it. The obsession with weight loss has completely taken over!
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #6  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

I immerse myself in research and reading.

You can watch Food Inc. That movie completed shifted my paradigm forever. LOL.
http://www.takepart.com/foodinc
This book is rather life changing- http://www.amazon.com/Nourishing-Tra.../dp/0967089735

Intuitive Eating is AH-MAZING. Seriously...Incredible. Especially if you want to heal your relationship with food and self.
http://www.intuitiveeating.org/conte...tuitive-eating

And I just downloaded the self-compassion diet book:
http://www.amazon.com/Self-Compassio...ompassion+diet

Also, why did you restart? I'm losing weight so that I can try to start to have a family soon. I research the effects on obese mothers on infants- and as soon as I read that....I became fiercely motivated to focus on health, not just weight loss (because heck- I can do that with only eating fake food.). Focus on your GOAL. What is your goal? Why is that your goal?
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 252.2/ticker/126

Height: 5'2

Thanks guys! I guess I just want instant gratification and like jofla70 mentioned, this is probably due to the fact that this is just the beginning of my restart . . . I call it the 'honeymoon' stage of my diet. lol I did really well at the beginning of last year and finally thought it would be the time I succeeded, but it wasn't. I just don't want to make that same mistake again. I want this to be the year that I get healthy (and lose weight) and hopefully I have the right mindset. I'm super scared of failure, so maybe that's why I'm obsessing over it.

@Roo2: Touche! lol By obsessing, I mean just spending a large amount of time and energy on one thing, which could be good or bad I guess depending on what it is. For me to lose over 100 lbs, it is going to take a lot of my time and energy. I'll just need to direct that into my exercising rather than window shopping for bathing suits!

I like your tips best, seagirl. Incidentally, that's one of the reasons I never joined Pinterest--I love a lot of the stuff on there, I just don't have the dedication to try all of it. Maybe when I'm not busy (ha!), I'll check out some of the books the rest of you mentioned.
shepherdgirl is offline   Reply With Quote