View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013, 11:58 PM   #5

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I don't put any sweeteners or flavorings in my yogurt during the making. I store the plain yogurt either in the crockpot or in Rubbermade containers, and I add sweeteners and/or other flavorings only to what I scoop out for a single serving. Plain, it makes a great sour cream or creme freche substitute. Often I sweeten it, but don't add any other flavorings. To make fruit yogurt, I just stir in some fruit spread or jam. My favorite flavor is almond extract (just a few drops) and a bit of sweetener. I also use Davinci or Torani syrups (usually Splenda sweetened), instant coffee granules, hot cocoa powder, even jello packets (sf jello or jello pudding)

When I'm craving cheesecake, I stir sf instant pudding mix into yogurt (2 cups for a small packet).

As to the thermometer, I bought one for the same reason. I spurged on a thermometer with a long, flexible probe and an alarm. LOVE IT!

I could probably do without now, because it takes almost exactly three hours to reach the right temp, and another three to cool enough for adding starter.

Originally Posted by L J View Post
Wow! Thank you so much for all of the information! Reading your reply, I definitely feel confident enough to give this a whirl. I am going to try it left Sunday on my day off. My crockpot is old and cantankerous and I don't own a microwave so I am going to buy a thermometer so I don't second guess myself.

Chobani is my go to yogurt, so I'm going to try that as my starter.

What do you put in your yogurt you make it, if anything? I like plain yogurt with peanut butter, but my kids insist on fruit yogurt, mostly strawberry. I'm not sure how to make it sweet enough that they will eat it.
My Etsy shop (currently closed for the summer)
etsy link by permission from 3fc! Want to add yours? Ask them!
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote