Old 04-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #1  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Smile Today Is My 9 Year Atkinsversary!

9 years ago today, I made a decision to change my life by starting Atkins and change my life it did!
I started by reading the book (Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution 2002 edition). In fact, I read it twice because I wanted to make sure I comprehended exactly how to do it correctly and why it works. After reading the plan, I knew this was something I could do and could stick to. I wanted to make this a total lifestyle change not just another "diet" I would try for a while and quit. I liked the idea of being able to eat full fat mayo, cheese, butter, bacon etc. Who doesn't enjoy those things!!!
I started walking and doing Walk Away The Pounds and I actually enjoyed it!
The weight started to come off and it was both exciting and motivating! Because of the foods you can eat on Atkins, I have never felt deprived....even when eating out at restaurants.
Thanks to Atkins, my life has changed for the better! At 51 years old, I feel better today than I did 9 years ago.
Atkins has been my lifesaver and will always be my lifestyle!!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:32 AM   #2  

I'm not on Atkins but I love success stories!! Congratulations on your weightloss and maintenance!!! And wow, 9 years!! What an inspiration!!!

elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

Congratulations!!
TheWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #4  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Congrats!

I always enjoy reading your posts... and it's really nice to see when someone finds a way of eating that works for them long term... I think that is just really great to see...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #5  
Christine =)

S/C/G: 247/199.5/160

Height: 5'8"

Congratulations!! You're truly an inspiration!! =)
happierme88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #6  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

JerseyGirl... to you (9 YEARS bOOYAA!) and thank you for all you do within this forum. You and your story really are an inspiration!! Your reminders that this is a lifetime way of eating and not a quick fix reminds me to believe and think of Atkins that way. YOU are Marvelous!!

Last edited by wannaskipandlaugh; 04-13-2013 at 07:14 PM.
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #7  
NeNe

S/C/G: 200/187/165

Height: 5'6"

Congrats jerseyGirl on your 9-year Atkinsversary! Truly a milestone and an inspiration to all of us Atkins girls. I say that it is a lifestyle change for me as well and it makes me sad to have to veer away from it this week per doctor's orders as my surgery date draws near. I plan to start right back on it as soon as I can get up and prepare foods for myself though. I feel better when I am in ketosis. I have so much more energy and my mind seems to be clearer also. Can you share with me how you adjusted from losing weight to maintaining? I am not too far from my goal and I want find out about how maintenance works so I can dream of that day. LOL

Blessings to you for many more happy Atkins years,
firegirl441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #8  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Thank you all for your kindness I truly appreciate it more than words can say.
I greatly enjoy this forum and sharing my experiences with Atkins. Hopefully I can help & encourage those who have also embraced this lifestyle.
Thanks again for all your support & encouragement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firegirl441 View Post
Can you share with me how you adjusted from losing weight to maintaining? I am not too far from my goal and I want find out about how maintenance works so I can dream of that day. LOL
Hi Firegirl
Thank you so much for your kind words
Congratulations on being not too far from your goal Its a wonderful feeling but, at the same time, there is fear of the unknown. It goes without saying, now that the weight has come off, we want to keep it off! This means mindful planning and making good choices. It means not falling back into the old habits that got us in trouble to begin with.
For me, I feel very blessed to have family & a wonderful DBF who support me and the lifestyle I have chosen. I think a support system is very important. When people aren't supportive and try to sabbotage your efforts, it certainly can make it more difficult to achieve your goals.
As for what I eat, I have always kept it pretty simple and close to Induction. For example, when you are out at a restaurant, you can never go wrong with some type of beef, chicken or fish (Grilled, NO BREADING!), a veggie and a salad. My "indulgence" is a small/medium sweet potato with butter & cinnamon once a week! Occasonally when DBF & I go out, I'll have a glass of white zinfindal. In the Summer, I will have some blueberries. That is pretty much it. I don't eat bread, white potatoes, rice, pasta or fruit. I drink water, sometimes with lemon. Oh, and I do enjoy yogurt everyday (full fat plain greek yogurt). I use Splenda very sparingly and not everyday. I don't believe in falling prey to "low carb" frakenfoods (packaged, processed foods). Sticking with real food is the way to go! That is pretty much my maintenance.
I hope this helps!!
All the best to you!!!
Old 04-15-2013, 04:06 AM   #9  
Enjoying the journey

S/C/G: 225/192/170

Height: 5-5.5

JerseyGyrl - Congratulations!!! 9 years is awesome!!! Totally agree with you on the frankenfoods!!! How much yogurt do you plan for your daily intake? How far into Atkins were you before you added yogurt back? and do you ever eat cottage cheese?
Lulu NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #10  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu NH View Post
JerseyGyrl - Congratulations!!! 9 years is awesome!!! Totally agree with you on the frankenfoods!!! How much yogurt do you plan for your daily intake? How far into Atkins were you before you added yogurt back? and do you ever eat cottage cheese?
Hi Lulu NH
Thank you for your kind words, I truly appreciate it.
To answer your questions, I added yogurt back after about a year. I typically eat a 6 oz. cup of plain greek yogurt (8 carbs) everyday. I also like the Dannon Light & Fit Carb & Sugar Control yogurt, which is 4 oz (3 carbs).
As for cottage cheese, I don't usually eat it because I'm not fond of it Its a texture thing!
Hope this helps!
All the best to you!!!
Old 04-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 181/181/115

Height: 5'3"

Jerseygirl - Congratulations on keeping the weight off for 9 long years, you are amazing!!! Thanks for all the great advice and support to the rest of us!!!
PrettyMom09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #12  

Height: 5'6"

Congratulations! 9 years is amazing!
IAmTheGlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 165/162/135

Height: 5'10"

Sorry I missed this earlier! Congratulations on 9 years! Wonderful! I follow your posts pretty regular , you're a fantastic inspiration and a great source of knowledge! Wishing you continued success!
Eloise123 is offline   Reply With Quote