Old 04-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #1  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Default Struggling with fat cravings and calories

I count everything, calories, carbs, fiber, fats, proteins. I need to in order to track because I don't plan my menus and I need to stay on top of how much I eat. I workout hard and I get really hungry. I'm trying to manage the hunger by keeping carbs lower. Instead, I replace them with protein and fats. I try not to go too high with the proteins, which means I eat more fats. In fact, I actually crave them. My diet looks similar to a ketogenic diet, except there are days when I go a little high on carbs.

I don't have a problem with eating this way. However, I struggle A LOT with cutting overall calories. Because I'm tall (5' 10") and I do weight training and Pilates three hours a week plus cardio three times a week, and my lean body mass is 152 lbs., I have calculated that I can eat just over 2000 calories a day and still lose weight, about a pound a week.

I'm happy with that rate of weight loss. If only I could keep my calories down to that. I find that I am still quite hungry in the afternoons and evenings and I let extra fats sneak in. If I try to add other macros, like protein or carbs, they just get added on top of the fats. I eat an average of 150 gm of fat a day, and averaged just under 2500 calories/day. Not losing weight at all now.

I tried increasing my activity, but that just makes me hungrier. If I could figure out why I'm craving so many fats and then address that, my weight loss would actually start happening again!

Anyone else struggle with fat cravings?
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/205/115

Height: 5'3"

I do a ketogenic diet as well as calorie count and I find that if I go higher in carbs that's when I get cravings (Usually a few hours later, AND the next day). Nowadays, I always stay under 20g net carbs per day, but your number for feeling no cravings may be different. I excercise about 15-20 hours a week including walking. Maybe the higher intensity workouts that you are doing could be making you hungry, I don't know, but don't stop doing them they are great for the body.

Two days ago I did a relatively new workout (hiking instead of walking) and yesterday I had MAJOR cravings and ate about 3 times my usual calories. I craved FATTY MEAT!

Just letting you know that I am also low carb and sometimes do suffer from cravings.

I hope you find your balance and begin losing again!
kayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #3  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Did a bit more reading on craving fatty things. What I read suggested that when the body lacks certain fat-soluble nutrients, it may crave fats. It was discovered that I have very low vitamin D levels. I was supplementing, but fell off from taking my vitamins over the last three months. Which coincides with my most intense cravings for fats. Back on the vitamins today!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 265/205/115

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for the info. I'm on lots of vitamins and supplements so I think I'll be alright, but will definitely not forget my Vitamin D, which is new to me.
kayin is offline   Reply With Quote