Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 04-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 344/311/140

Height: 5'6

Default Do you experience anxiety when eating fatty foods?

I found out in the last year that I have anxiety. (Self diagnosed with the help of google) and it's not too prevalent but I will have attacks every now and then. I'd rate them a 6/10 at worst, which is why I haven't seeked help for it. I do not want medication unless it's really effecting my life.

Anyways I noticed one of the things that triggers them, is when I'm eating foods I know are horrible for me. When I overeat at a buffet or if I eat fried chicken or something super cheesy like pizza or a cheesesteak. I will start my normal anxiety antics at bed time then start tripping myself out like I'm having a heart attack. I did read a lot of heavier people have anxiety so I was just wondering if this trigger is familiar with anyone else.

Ps - I have woken up at least 2-3 times with what seemed like my entire body was shaking, like there was a train going by somewhere real close or even a tiny earthquake! I was so surprised to find out that is part of anxiety as well.
Skettihead03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 113/117/110-120

Height: 5'5"

hmmm, i've had anxiety but not specifically associated with any food. You could check on the forum "dieting with obstacles" where I think there may be others dealing with anxiety. If it is something that feels scary to you, perhaps you could check with your doctor to make sure nothing else is going on. I had some bad anxiety after a horrible accident I had and the symptoms were scary, like electricity going through my body at times. My doctor told me it was likely anxiety from all the stress of the accident and to check back if the symptoms didn't go away. She also did all my vital signs like blood pressure. Sure enough, my symptoms did go away. good luck.
veggiedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #3  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I had/have anxiety although not often triggered with food but mostly work. I also had the shaking body issue you talk of although mine was more like: i) a nuclear bomb; ii) a tornado; or, iii) hitting a wall in my car. In other words, deafening noise and vibration in my sleep before waking abruptly! I do see a phsychotherapist but the anxisety and sleep issues have vastly reduced with weight loss, so we're discussing other things now!

Last edited by IanG; 04-13-2013 at 09:32 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #4  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

I do have anxiety eating fatty foods only because of my severe acid reflux and possible gallbladder disease but nothing like you are describing. Are you absolutely sure that it is anxiety, some other health issue(s)?

What do you mean by tripping yourself out like you're having a heart attack? Like you feel chest pain and some arm pain? If so, that could be heartburn or some other health issue (not trying to scare you, sorry! ) I only suggest this because you say it is triggered by fried and/or fatty food which is what triggers my above issues with chest pain, arm pain, back pain, and/or some stomach issues as well. But the body shaking, that is a bit odd.

If it's totally not heartburn and you are sure it is anxiety then I agree with veggiedaze- check out "dieting with obstacles", you may get more feedback there RE: your issues.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 344/311/140

Height: 5'6

I'm just now seeing these responses - thanks for the tips and insight.

Amandie - I am about positive that it is anxiety. Reason being is that I feel guilty when eating these bad foods, because I know they're bad. (but they taste so good lol) And I even think oh god I hope this won't trigger my anxiety... and sure enough later, there it goes. As far as the heart attack thing goes, no I never have chest pain or arm pain. But I do have a 'weird' feeling in my arm that I now know is all in my head. When the attacks are at their worst, I lay down, close my eyes, breathe slowly, and try to keep telling myself it's just anxiety it's just anxiety, and it will eventually stop after maybe 20 minutes or so. When I am awakened in the middle of the night with the shake episodes or whatever, it may take a little longer to calm down.
Skettihead03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #6  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Perhaps a good physiologist could be helpful?
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote