Old 05-27-2010, 06:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 148/133/135

Height: 5'7"

Default Vegetarian and Ideal Protein

Hi all - I'm going to join IP on June 28! Am really looking forward to it to get off this carbohydrate train (I'm training for a 1/2 marathon June 26, which is why the IP on June 28) and lose some fat! The question is - are there other vegetarians out there (I don't eat any meat - no seafood, etc)? If so, what choices do you make for the lean protein at dinner - anything besides plain tofu? Thanks for any help you can provide!!
joggingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:38 PM   #2  
I'm doing it!

S/C/G: 186/186/135

Height: 5'6''

The protein I eat also has carbs: beans, lentils, quinoa, soy milk
My Body in Motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by joggingirl View Post
Hi all - I'm going to join IP on June 28! Am really looking forward to it to get off this carbohydrate train (I'm training for a 1/2 marathon June 26, which is why the IP on June 28) and lose some fat! The question is - are there other vegetarians out there (I don't eat any meat - no seafood, etc)? If so, what choices do you make for the lean protein at dinner - anything besides plain tofu? Thanks for any help you can provide!!
are you an ovo-lacto (lacto-ovo) vegetarian or a true vegan?

You can always have another protein drink or packet at dinner. (Choose one of the soy items if you are a true vegan.)

You can have black soy beans or edamame.

A lot of vegetables are good protein so, you could eat more of them.

SOME..... VEGETABLE PROTEIN: Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Cucumbers, Eggplant, Green pepper, Kale, Lettuce, Mushrooms, Mustard green, Onions, Spinach, Tomatoes, Turnip greens, Watercress, Zucchini

Also as options:
quorn,
seaweed
spirulina
nonfat milk
egg white
egg
tofu, soy products, soy substitutes

carefully read the carb count on the meat substitutes. You are looking for no more than 7g carbs to 20g protein the first 3 weeks and then 14g carbs to 20g protein the remainder of phase 1 if you are trying to "match" a Ideal Protein product.

Last edited by showgirlaz; 05-27-2010 at 09:00 PM.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:06 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 148/133/135

Thanks so much for the input. This really helps with my planning! I am lacto-ovo, so hopefully that will be a bit easier. I'm so glad to hear about the black soybeans and edamame - love them! Thanks for the help!
joggingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:59 AM   #5  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by joggingirl View Post
Thanks so much for the input. This really helps with my planning! I am lacto-ovo, so hopefully that will be a bit easier. I'm so glad to hear about the black soybeans and edamame - love them! Thanks for the help!
You are welcome! Since you are lacto-ovo, you will have some added advantage to a vegan. You can create a protein dinner with real eggs/egg whites (3 egg whites/1 whole egg is equal to a 5oz meat portion). You will find creative ways to make crustless quiche muffins, the dairy is unfortunately a more limited thing but, since it is your only protein, your coach may be will to let you use a small portion per day of nonfat as a partial protein value.

Just remember you can definitely use an extra IP packet to sub for the dinner protein. At least you will know it is a whey, soy, or albumin source of high grade protein.

We aren't really supposed to have nuts or seeds on this plan, it is because of the fat values but, if you look at the nuts and seed and pick a low carb/moderate fat one, you could probably add some of them in after the first 2 or 3 weeks, to meet some of your protein requirement. I know sunflowers are good in that area.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #6  

Default Vegetarian

Are there more vegetarian threads regarding the IP Diet?

While buying tofu today, I was looking at the other soy based products, such as seitan and a "chicken" option. Here are the labels - would someone tell me if the latter are ok on the IP diet?

tofu: 5 g fat; 5 mg sodium; 10 g protein; 0 carbs

seitan: 2 g fat; 320 g sodium; 21 g protein; 6 g carbs

"chicken": 4.5 g fat; 280 g sodium; 18 g protein; 5 g carbs

Thank you in advance.
peaches17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #7  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches17 View Post
Are there more vegetarian threads regarding the IP Diet?

While buying tofu today, I was looking at the other soy based products, such as seitan and a "chicken" option. Here are the labels - would someone tell me if the latter are ok on the IP diet?

tofu: 5 g fat; 5 mg sodium; 10 g protein; 0 carbs

seitan: 2 g fat; 320 g sodium; 21 g protein; 6 g carbs

"chicken": 4.5 g fat; 280 g sodium; 18 g protein; 5 g carbs

Thank you in advance.
There are other threads, too.
I'm going to assume you are using IP or similar products for all except "dinner".
The dinner protein should be 30 to 40g. The NET (carbs minus fiber) should be no more than 7g; if it is closer to 15g then no "restricted" that day.

For what you listed, you want at least 3 servings of the tofu or 1.5 to 2 servings of the seitan (which is getting kind of close to too many carbs depending on the fiber) and 2 servings of the "chicken".

I have successfully used Gardein Chick'n Scallapini (2 to 3 for dinner), Gardein Classic Buffalo Wings without sauce (entire package), Boca Vegan Burgers (from Costco, there are several kinds) 2 of the ones that are 100 calories and 19g of protein. Tofurkey (I like the peppered) 2 servings or the whole package,
Some of the Quorns are OK -- they are a little lacking in protein. Morningstar Hot n Spicy sausage patties -- 4 or just 2 with some eggs.

You can PM me if you have other questions.
I'm sure losses are a little less than others due to the carbs and salt in the "meat", but it is still every bit as worth it.

Eating at a restaurant is about impossible, so plan on flipping dinner and lunch so that you can order a salad or steamed vegetables and have a restricted for "dessert" or whatever works well for you.
infoplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #8  

Oh what a delight to meet another vegetarian! My coach is one but oddly didn't know about any of the "meat" alternatives, which seems strange to me.

Any other tips or suggestions to share for how the diet may or may not be different for us?

Do you eat fish? I don't love it but will eat it if forced, so I figure that's what I can order when out at restaurants.

I'd PM you but don't know how! :-)

Last edited by peaches17; 04-13-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #9  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches17 View Post
Oh what a delight to meet another vegetarian! My coach is one but oddly didn't know about any of the "meat" alternatives, which seems strange to me.

Any other tips or suggestions to share for how the diet may or may not be different for us?

Do you eat fish? I don't love it but will eat it if forced, so I figure that's what I can order when out at restaurants.

I'd PM you but don't know how! :-)
Fish will work out great to offset the extra carbs you have on the "fake meat" days. I had salmon for a while but couldn't seem to stomach the farm raised anymore so I stopped eating it. Talapia works well, too, plus canned tuna, of course.

This is a spreadsheet I created with sources that I used. There might be one or two that I played with in maintenance (such as when the sauce is included).
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...xNXRoX2c#gid=0

I think you have to have 10 posts before you can PM (private message). You access that from the User CP tab.
infoplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #10  

your spreadsheet is awesome! great job!

the westsoy seitan is exactly what i made for dinner last night. the entire packet was 8 oz so i had the whole thing per the instructions on my IP sheet. it almost felt like too much food - could it be? or, is it more about me getting used to eating more? i think my problem before the program was eating too little and starving myself into submission.

morningstar farms: do you ever eat the "bacon" strips? if i can eat those as part of IP, i am set forever with this "diet" as i love them and would cook those alone for my meals on many days. my meat eating mother even commented how they smelled like bacon! :-)

so maybe the key touches upon what you mentioned - within a given week, some days will be fake meat (maybe 1 or 2 max), with the others being tofu, fish and eggs to balance it all out?

Last edited by peaches17; 04-14-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 221.5

Angry problems with fake meat on ideal protein program

hey out-there-----i have been a vegetarian for over 30yrs and never ate a lot of the fake meat products---except the high carb ones of course. i have texture issues it seems---when i try to eat seitan, boca burgers, etc. it makes me want to gag. i don't know how i will last the 3-4 months to get to my goal. anybody else like this? my friend who has texture issues just went back to eating meat. i miss my beans---kathy
ksdunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:01 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksdunham View Post
hey out-there-----i have been a vegetarian for over 30yrs and never ate a lot of the fake meat products---except the high carb ones of course. i have texture issues it seems---when i try to eat seitan, boca burgers, etc. it makes me want to gag. i don't know how i will last the 3-4 months to get to my goal. anybody else like this? my friend who has texture issues just went back to eating meat. i miss my beans---kathy
If you are really desperate, talk to your coach about using the alternative P1/2 plan that adds 1 lo fat dairy, 1 starch (ie beans), and 1 fruit to your daily menu, since it is used for people that must have more food such as diabetics. Worked great for me and gives you more protein choice ie greek yogourt and beans, etc.

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:48 PM   #13  

For meat substitutes, do I only have to consider the amount of carbs or fats and sugars as well? The gardein meatballs, chik'n scapollini and the wings are relatively low as long as you aren't using the sauce but I wanted to ensure I was able to eat these as long as they are within the carb range recommended.
gijade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:56 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijade View Post
For meat substitutes, do I only have to consider the amount of carbs or fats and sugars as well? The gardein meatballs, chik'n scapollini and the wings are relatively low as long as you aren't using the sauce but I wanted to ensure I was able to eat these as long as they are within the carb range recommended.
You don't need to look at the sugars as they are included in carbs but it is essential to get adequate protein and the fat calories must be 30% of total calories or less to fit the IP macros.
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #15  

Default Protein and Calorie Max for "Dinner"

If consuming products such as "fake meat" alternatives, how much protein should I be looking to consumer for '"dinner". An earliest post mentioned limitation on carbs and you mentioned limitation on calories. I just want to ensure that I'm not eating too much or eating less than the required amount. I am following protocol otherwise for the coffee (black), 3 packets of IP Alternatives daily and 4 cups of vegetable and one huge green salad of unlimited vegetables with the very minimum 64oz on some days and a bit more on others.
gijade is offline   Reply With Quote