View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #121
SouthernMaven
Intuitive Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfergirl2 View Post
Sigh...help...i am so frustrated. Same story as always...i manage to stick with a diet for a month or so, and then i start binging, and the binging becomes more and more frequent until the point where the diet just CLEARLY is not working, and then i figure it's time for a diet break or a new plan, even though a diet break is not warranted since i've barely lost any weight. I keep trying to just raise my calories, basically i'm at maintenance level calories right now, and i STILL can't stick with it!! If i just "stop dieting," however, i'll end up higher than my weight of 160.5 this morning, which is not acceptable. I just don't know what to do I know what will probably happen is that i'll just give up for a couple of weeks, gain another few pounds, panic, and then start on a new diet, do great for the first few weeks...and thus the cycle begins again. Well...if that happens...i guess the good news is that i'm not GAINING weight, just relosing and regaining the same 5 pounds. Better than gaining i guess
For some reason I thought I'd already responded to this post, but as I was going back through the thread I realized that I hadn't (although I meant to).

I don't have a whole lot to add to what bingefree2013 posted, and I agree with that post. I wanted to say, however, that I do have some understanding of your frustration. My situation was a bit different in that I had more weight to lose (I'm saying this based on the information in your profile), but for some reason I just could NOT motivate myself, no matter how hard I tried. I couldn't even take it off for my daughter's wedding, and if that's not a motivator, I don't know what is!

I'd struggled for over a year to get the extra weight off, and being 61 years old the health benefits for me outweighed any vanity issues. Still, I couldn't do it. I would do pretty much what you are describing. I didn't really "binge" so much as just do a lot of "last supper" eating, meaning I'd eat extra food (sometimes junk food, sometimes not) in anticipation of starting over the next day, or the next Monday, or whatever.

And what I wanted to say is that all I accomplished in that time was put on more weight. I seriously started trying to diet again around August of 2011, right after my father died. I'd lost a lot of weight and reached goal in 2010, only to start putting it back on almost immediately. At August of 2011 I was at least 10 lbs heavier, probably closer to 15. And when I finally said "enough" to the dieting I had gotten to the 25 lbs overweight mark. So I put on anywhere from 10-15 lbs doing what I described above.

Had I continued, I'd probably be approaching the 30 lb overweight mark right now.

I'm not telling you what to do; in fact, I think bingefree2013 is right to state that you may not be ready to stop the dieting. You have to be ready to accept some weight gain. It may or may not happen, but you have to be prepared for it.

But I feel pretty confident in saying that if you continue the pattern you are describing, you will in all likelihood gain anyway.

Like many others, I've been "successful" with dieting. I use the quotes because what I mean is that I was able to successfully take the weight off, but not truly successful because I was never able to keep it off.

But when I finally gave up dieting for good, I knew in my heart of hearts that I absolutely could never do it again. I should have admitted that to myself when I didn't get the weight off for my daughter's wedding, but I still kept trying. Until it eventually dawned on me that I was done. Totally and completely done.

From what you're writing, I have to agree with bingefree2013; I don't think you're there yet. But I'm rooting for you, whatever path you decide to take!

- Rob Stevens, The Overfed Head

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
- Albert Einstein