General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 344/311/140

Height: 5'6

Default How many carbs for low carb?

So I'm not exactly following a specific plan, besides staying beneath 1300 calories per day. Because of my suspicions of having PCOS some members recommended a low carb diet. I want to try it out but google is not helping me, I am trying to find out how many carbs to eat. I have gotten some crazy ranges on complete opposite ends of the spectrum. One said 20 per day (which seems like literally starving) and others said 300!!

Myfitnesspal says for me 250. I am usually way below that anyways, like today I finished out at 135 carbs and yesterday 129. So are these still too many or am I on the right track?
Skettihead03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #2  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I think you're on the right track. You have to get your carbs down low enough so that it doesn't affect your blood sugar and you can continue to lose weight. You might be able to go a little lower, but that's up to you. I struggle to get below 50 net gms/day.

I've got PCOS and I'm a type 2 diabetic. I usually have more blood sugar level issues with carbs in the morning than the afternoon, so I eat under 10 gm of carbs at breakfast. At lunch, I pack on the vegetables, along with protein and fat, so around 20 gms. That usually includes an avocado. For afternoon snack, I'll have yogurt, a handful of almonds, maybe a single serving of fruit on occasion, so around 30 gm. And at dinner, again with the veggies, meat and fats, and if I'm really hungry, I'll add a sweet potato, so around 60 gm. That's 120 gms. I usually subtract the fiber grams from that, so a net total of 80 gm.

I'm taller than you and I have a lot of muscle I've developed and am continuing to work on, and eating some carbs is an important part of the energy delivery system for muscle growth. However, if I go too high, like over 150 gm a day, it really impacts my blood sugar levels. I am not on any medication to manage my blood sugar. I do it all with diet and exercise. And with regards to carbs, I stay away from all refined carbs. Best to eat carbs that are combined with plenty of fiber, plus add some healthy fat to slow the whole digestion process down and not have such an impact on bloodsugar levels.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 344/311/140

Height: 5'6

Thanks, your answer was very helpful!
Skettihead03 is offline   Reply With Quote