Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

Unhappy Hospitalized and depressed

So I had thyroid removal surgery earlier this week, which already worries me because weight control without a thyroid is already challenging.

I wasn't able to exercise, which made me feel more fearful as I suffer with water weight.

Now I'm back in the hospital due to severe calcium and electrolyte levels. So I can't exercise, I have to eat the hospital meals, I have to have more and more IV's pumped into me, and I don't have my thyroid hormones regulated yet.

My mind is playing terrible tricks on me, making me believe that I have regained 20 lbs. I have eaten my full meals, telling myself I need the extra calories for strength and recovery, when I probably don't need the full meals in order to feel full. I keep having thoughts of binging, like things are already over for me in terms of weight loss. The nurse offered to bring me extra food, which I don't really need, but I am thinking about it.

I just feel so down and depressed. They have been pumping me full of meds and my levels are getting lower. I feel depressed about everything. And hopeless.

I need someone on this forum to give me a swift kick, or tell me to get a grip, or sympathize - I'll take anything to help me get through this rough patch.

Last edited by KittyKatFan; 04-12-2013 at 08:54 PM.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #2  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Hugs

When you're back to 100 percent then you can worry about the weight, until them take care of your body!

Get well soon
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #3  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

KittyKatFan Sending you hugs. I agree with Mozzy. Once you are out of the hospital and getting your health back you can concentrate on your weight. Now you need to take care of yourself and focus on getting healthy. Hang in there.
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #4  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

KittyKatFan - how could your head possibly be in a good place when your body is not?

For what it is worth, having no thyroid should be fairly easy to get regulated. I know several people who have had either removal or irradiated (is that what they call it) and they are on 100% synthetic hormones. They are healthy as can be and don't have weight issues.

So... have faith that once they get your levels all back to normal, that you'll be feeling better than ever. RIght now, don't worry about pounds (as even if you do gain a bit in the hospital, it will almost certainly be temporary). just concentrate on getting well.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

*hugs*. KittyKatFan, you will get through this. Focus on getting yourself well, have friends come and visit. We're here for you too!
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #6  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

S/C/G: 212/104.2/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKatFan View Post
So I had thyroid removal surgery earlier this week, which already worries me because weight control without a thyroid is already challenging.

I wasn't able to exercis, which made me feel more fearful as I suffer with water weight.

Now I'm back in the hospital due to severe calcium and electrolyte levels. So I can't exercise, I have to eat the hospital meals, I have to have more and more IV's pumped into me, and I don't have my thyroid hormones regulated yet.

My mind is playing terrible tricks on me, making me believe that I have regained 20 lbs. I have eaten my full meals, telling myself I need the extra calories for strength and recovery, when I probably don't need the full meals in order to feel full. I keep having thoughts of binging, like things are already over for me in terms of weight loss. The nurse offered to bring me extra food, which I don't really need, but I am thinking about it.

I just feel so down and depressed. They have been pumping me full of meds and my levels are getting lower. I feel depressed about everything. And hopeless.

I need someone on this forum to give me a swift kick, or tell me to get a grip, or sympathize - I'll take anything to help me get through this rough patch.

Oh Hon sorry things are not going better for you right now . Give yourself so time to heal . Yes you do need the nutrition to get better ...so try not to worry about it...Is there someone that could bring you Protein Shakes or whatever foods you are use to eating? That could help you feel like you have a little control over your diet.
Maybe a talk with a Dietitian to make sure you are getting all the nutrients your body need
Just realize this is a small blip in your life you have to get through ....and you will get through it ....just inconvenient ..but something that you are strong enough to handle!
So just think no worrying about making beds, cleaning or cooking for you ....Cuz someone has to do it!
Take care and hurry back,you are missed, Roo2
Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 130/120/110

Height: 5'4

Default Hugs...

You're right that you do need to eat the full meals for strength and recovery! but no I don't think you need for the nurse to bring you extra food. Right now is not the time to have a dieting mentality. You need to go easy on yourself and do whatever it takes to be happy! Read comics, watch comedy, post on this site, look outside the window when it's nice out, whatever.
Look how far you've come in weightloss! You know how to loss weight! But right now you need to heal! And concentrate on being happy until you recover...then you can attack weightloss like you have successfully done in the past like a beast!
sunshinesmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 191/178/145

Height: 5'6

Big hug and support coming your way. I know how you feel. Honestly, been there. You have to eat and keep your strength up. Your body needs to heal. You have lost such a large amount of weight, it will not come back during this challenging time. You should ask to speak with someone on staff that can help with nutrition. They should be able to adjust your meals for healthier options.

Give yourself a break. You have had a major surgery and you are bound to feel depressed. Hang in there. You need to read motivating books and focus on encouraging things. All of the things you are feeling and going through is normal. Be gentle on yourself during this time.
bbrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

*gentle hugs* With all that you are going through, it is not at all surprising that you are depressed and worried. I know that it's difficult to look ahead when you're feeling so badly but this too shall pass. It will. Once your electrolytes and calcium are back in balance you will feel soooooo much better. Please try not to worry about your weight loss efforts at this juncture. You need to eat and you need to heal. As someone mentioned up thread, taking thyroid medication will help a lot. *more hugs*
Garnet2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 320/IP303/197/135

Height: 5'3"

KitKatFan- wishing you a speedy recovery!
Cherie2888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Feel better soon! Keep in mind that hormones can play with your head, and consider the source of your bad feelings.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:28 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

I asked for help and y'all delivered. Thanks so much for taking a couple of minutes of your time to help me.

It is so frustrating to be in my position. I hate feeling helpless. But I have to learn that some things are out of my control for now and that I will get through this. I just have to accept short-term weight fluctuations and health issues, with the long-term goal of being healthy.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:25 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

(((Hugs)))

Get well soon and worry about the weight later.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote