Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #1  

Height: 5"6

Default Permission to Eat My Trigger Food? It's Been 3 Months Without Ice Cream!

Hey everyone!

I've got a question for you all! I'm lettin' my crazy hang out here! (as either Stephanie or Shiv recently wrote!)

I am a calorie counter and I aim for about 1500 a day. I know that I can eat whatever I want, weight loss wise, up to 1500...so this isn't a question about "healthy eating". Rather, it's a question about emotional eating and trigger foods!

I do what I can to never fully deprive myself. I let myself enjoy the odd chocolate or glass of wine within my calories, so that I am never feeling the need to super binge.

BUT my ultimate trigger food, that I haven't allowed myself to have since Christmas, is vanilla ice cream. Thank god it's 12 bucks a litre in my tiny town- that's enough of a deterrent already!

So, I want ice cream. I want it in the house. I want one serving, and then to rid the rest (i know it's a waste but I don't trust having it yet). My boyfriend and I have our first Spring bbq this weekend and I want ice cream for dessert!

Not sure if i am ready...is the only way to know to try?????

lmao i love how my life crisis today is whether or not to buy ice cream. haha let me know what you think and have a wonderful weekend!!!!
NorthernChick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #2  

Height: 5"6

lol upon reading this, I sound like a total idiot. Thank you for supporting my crazy, 3FC!
NorthernChick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #3  

I think you have earned yourself some ice cream!!!

Is there a way you can go to an ice cream shop and have a cone/cup and be done with it? That way you don't have to waste any or be tempted to have a bigger scoop or just one more spoonful, etc.

Either way, enjoy your BBQ and your ice cream and your new thinner body!!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

Wow....you are in the middle of nowhere it might be easier and cheaper to make your own. :-) Can you get some cream for cheaper?

I am a CC and have not had any ice cream for about a year. I have had frozen yogurt though and limit my portions.

Eat and share one serving with a friend .
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernChick13 View Post
Thank you! That's an awesome idea! Unfortunately, I live in a tiny frozen town of 500 ppl, with only 1 store. We are a fly-in community, which means I can't even drive anywhere else.

lol i love sharing where i live: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulita

https://www.google.ca/search?q=tulit...2ODoW4iwKLwIEY

But yes, thank you for your input! I really appreciate how even the tiniest things that become mental can still be shared positively on 3FC
WOW!!! You definitely ARE northernchick LOL!!

And for the record, I love posts like these ones!! You worked your tail off since the beginning of the year and you want to splurge on a treat, I say go for it and enjoy it!! Our weightloss is as much mental as it is physical (maybe I'll dare say more mental!)!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #6  

i think you are allowed! And i think you are allowed to do whatever it takes to keep on track, even if, FOR YOU, it means throwing an extra portion of spendy food away

It's what i do. i allow myself ONE day a week to eat whatever i want and i mean whatever i want. Then i immediately get back on track the rest of the week, eating healthy and enough but not too much. And if i have to throw away the extra to keep on track that way, then i do so. I just reign it in and i've managed to loose all the weight i need to even eating THOUSANDS of extra calories that one day (i am NOT NOT saying for you to do this, LOL) but yes, take that day and eat what you want of it without guilt, if you don't want the rest of it, throw it away without guilt if you are able, and then go about the rest of your week. Life is about discipline and about living!
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #7  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Take a protein shake and make into ice cream! Google "ziplock bag ice cream" for directions! It would be fun to make, and you know you'd only be making one portion, so you couldn't go crazy with it.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #8  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I gave up ice cream last October (it's one of my ultimate loves).
Just recently (within the last two weeks) have I felt strong enough to enjoy a single serving of ice cream with in my calorie budget. I buy the skinny cow stuff. Eat one and them I'm fine for a few days.
I'm super impressed that I'm able to do that, it's a huge NSV for me!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #9  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozzy View Post
I gave up ice cream last October (it's one of my ultimate loves).
Just recently (within the last two weeks) have I felt strong enough to enjoy a single serving of ice cream with in my calorie budget. I buy the skinny cow stuff. Eat one and them I'm fine for a few days.
I'm super impressed that I'm able to do that, it's a huge NSV for me!
I'm jealous! I started doing that and went down the slippery slope. It started out as an occasional treat, but then I started abusing it and having it every night almost, and more than I should have. It wasn't causing me to gain, but I didn't lose while I was doing this. Plus, I was snacking on other stuff like cheese and almonds. Its a wonder I didn't gain weight back! But since I cut out the late night snacking .... again.... I have been losing.

Unfortunately, I just can't trust myself to be responsible when it comes to these things!! As a result, I can't keep stuff like that in my house.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

How about buying a vanilla ice cream cone periodically instead? As Krampus mentioned in another post, while we all seek to achieve a healthier relationship with food there's no point in "testing ourselves" by dangling our triggers in front of our eyes.

JMHO Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #11  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

I would suggest dishing some out into a tupperware and immediately give the remaining liter to a friend with a large family.

This way, you get to have some, it won't be in your house, and if there are a lot of people in the family you give it to, it will be gone before you can ask for some more. You just have to be strong enough to NOT go back to the store.

Best of luck and enjoy your ice cream !!!
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #12  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

If I grant you permission to eat ice cream may I visit you in the future?

Personally if you've been able to avoid it for three months I think it's safe to assume you can eat some and not completely over do it.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

Oh gosh, that's a tough one! Personally, I might buy some type of pre-packaged single serving, but if that's not an option in your remote location maybe have a dinner party with friends and share the larger amount? Haha, enjoy your ice cream! You have been doing wonderfully!
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:28 PM   #14  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

If you like the flavor of banana ice cream, you might want to try Magic Ice Cream. It's just....banana. You slice a banana, freeze it, and then whiz it up in the food processor. It totally feels like ice cream in your mouth, but in reality all you're eating is fruit. This stuff made me very happy Tuesday night.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #15  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Sorry sweetie, you're getting NO pass from me. It's a trigger food for a reason, and having it in the house is a bad idea. Go out and get ONE serving or max, a small pint sized container. The best way to eat triggers is outside the house, so the quantities and frequency are limited.

Some folks can indeed bring triggers into their home without issue, but a fair number of us find the cravings and issues come back if the food is available and our palate tries it again. So controlling the big factor - availability - mitigates a ton of the potential damage that could occur. It's tempting fate to both consume a trigger AND have more available for additional consumption, you know?
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote