Old 04-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #1  

Cool Steel Magnolias #45

Good morning, ladies! We're headed for 80 degrees this day.

Casper was so glad to see me. Glory said he did okay with her but kept looking for me. She even took him for walks.

I surely learned a ton about my body and nutrition last week. The rd was amazed at my food diary. I just took my 3-month journal so it wasn't anything special. We were told to keep track for the month of March. She really went over everyone's with a fine tooth comb and had individual meetings to show us where we could improve. We had some group lectures on what to eat and what to avoid. We all know that excess sodium causes swelling, but processed foods and simple carbs do too - 4 grams of water for every gram of carb. Meals for the first 2 days were pretty spartan - chicken, brown rice, kale, broccoli, spinach, peppers, apples, peaches, banana. Those are the foods that don't cause inflammation in 98% of us. Then we started adding back other foods and seeing how we did. Some did okay with wheat - me, I gained 2 pounds that day. We had a battery of tests for food allergies, daily weigh ins, blood work, urine analysis, bp. In addition to wheat, I reacted badly to white potatoes, artifical sweeteners, soy, and had a mild reaction to sweet potatoes and corn. I lost 2-1/2 pounds while there - all water weight. My pants kept sliding down to my hips because I lost the bloat in my waist area.

The diet I came home with is easy and she tailored it so I won't gain any weight. I have a minimum of 5 servings of vegetables and 3-4 of fruit, 4 teaspoons of olive oil, beef no more than once a week, salmon or other fatty fish at least 3 times a week, chicken, turkey, buffalo or venison, 3 servings of whole grains (but no wheat or corn products), poultry, 3 milk servings a day, and 1/2 ounce of dark chocolate a day. No sugar or artifical sweeteners but I can use Agava. I can have 1-2 servings of a processed food a day (bread or cereal, pasta, noodles, dessert (2-3 times a week). No more than 1500 mcg sodium per day.

We were given pre-paid Visa cards with $75 on them to do our first week's shopping and they will be update with $75 every week on Sunday for our groceries only. The cards are somehow tied to them and they can see what we purchased with them. Our food diary is on line and we are also to log our exercise but they gave no minimum for that.

Going up to Baltimore, it was raining. Coming home, a tractor-trailor went over the barrier on 664 and was hanging over the water. It added 4 hours to my trip home. Fortunately, my Kindle was all charged up so I read.

Faye, we aren't allowed to have instant or quick oatmeal. Because of the processing involved, they are no longer considered to be a whole grain. I use steel cut oats and cook it in the crockpot or old-fashioned oats and cook it with milk in the microwave. I think it's time to get a second opinion from a different group of doctors. Those female problems have gone on way too long and the repeat d and cs can't be good for you, either. I've had 4 surgeries for intestinal blockage, kidney surgery, gallbladder (when it was still an open surgery), hernia and appendix. My belly has a big cross on it. Thomas with a girl friend - WOW! Congratulations on your 30 pounds down. Keep on with your program. Tailor it to what works for you.

Jean, poor Sonny! He has been though a lot. I'm sure he'll be so glad to get home he'll be tagging around after you.

Maggie, the good thing about water weight is it does come off so our effort is rewarded next week, if not this one. WW has a new cookbook with recipes for cooking for one. I was excited to get it.

Have a wonderful day!

Last edited by QuilterInVA; 04-09-2013 at 12:41 PM.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #2  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Rainey Tuesday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS☺♫

We are cold here in the ♥-Land in the 30ºs as I type. It is cold in here and I am wondering if the furnace is acting up again or if it doesn’t know it is to turn on when the air conditioner is turned off. it is freezing rain with some snow and hail mixed with it and not pleasant but we sure do need the moisture. We took some folks out to eat for lunch and had a lively time. My shrimp was over cooked but that doesn’t happen often and I didn’t complain ~ at least it was done.

The dentist office called and said they had a cancellation for this afternoon and one of us could have that appointment. It was with the dentist’s son that has come to work with him and I don’t care for him for I don’t like the way he fixed a tooth of mine so I told Will to take the appointment. I will wait until my appointment with the dad comes around later this month. Will has never had the son work on him so we shall see if he likes him or not when he gets home.

What am I going to cook for dinner ~ something light since we had a bigger meal than usual for the noon fest. I will go shopping in my freezer when I get off here and make a decision in time for whatever it is to thaw. I hope I have some chicken noodle soup in there waiting to get into my bowl. That would be wonderful on a day such as this. The animals aren’t staying outside long when they have a need to go out there. Cecil is taking a long snooze on the bed as I type and Mopp and Beanie are asleep in the front room.

I have got to get back to doing walking laps around this house. I was doing so well and then my knee started to give me fits and I quit and probably should have kept on regardless. I am going to have to work back up to where I was when I stopped my walking program. No time like this afternoon to get a few laps in. Then tomorrow I will do 3 sessions of how many minutes I can take to slowly get back up to where I was and then go beyond. I must do this.

My brother told me that a man from Arizona is coming to look at my Mom’s place and just maybe he will purchase it. My brother said that they still haven’t got everything out but the place is clean for she did have a good housekeeper. He is having a gardener come and do some outside work ~ to check if there is any cleaning up to do around some of the bushes and trees. She had a good housekeeper and gardener so he is using the same folks to get it in shape for the potential buyer. One of the really nice things about her place is that swimming pool ~ just a few steps and you are there and it is a very quiet neighborhood. My mother was an avid swimmer and it kept her in good shape.

SUSAN Thank you for starting us a new thread. Sounds like you had a good session with that test group. That sodium just lurkes in the strangest places not just in the salt shaker. I will have to look for that new cookbook for if it has some yummy recipes in it I can surely double the recipe for the two of us. I saw the cutest set of cast iron cook ware for a single serving and thought of you. I love my cast iron items because they are so well seasned I don't have to use anything but a light sprit of canned oil when I am cooking something in them. Isn't it wonderful to lose the water weight when you eat the foods that are great to not cause inflamation. I rarely ever salt anything at home but use spices instead so we don't miss the salt. I know we get a dose of sodium in canned veggies. I rinse what I can when I open a can and don't cook the veggies in the liquid that comes in the can but use water. Some of the frozen veggies also get a bath in sodium before they are frozen so I rinse them also. Keep us posted on your adventure I myself find it very interesting.

Hope everyone had a wonderful day
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:03 AM   #3  

Good Evening, Flowers! I am on my way to bed and wanted to check in here first. It has been "storming" all evening; heavy rain, lots of wind, a bit of hail, thunder, and lightning. There is a lull right now so I'm hoping I can get to sleep before the next round starts. It is supposed to freeze during the night and turn to snow tomorrow. It's my lunch bunch tomorrow but I'm sure we won't meet if the weather happens as predicted. We play bells Sunday so really need to practice tomorrow, or sometime before Sunday.

I went to the dentist this morning, helped with a mailing this afternoon, and then went to visit Sonny. He looked so silly; he was squished in what I would call a plastic dishpan. He acted glad to see me and let me scratch in all the right places. Sonny got excited when I jiggled the bag of treats. He remembered! The vet and girls were all busy so I didn't get a report today, but I'm hoping he will get to come home soon.

"Gma" -- I hope Jack didn't have to work too late today. As far as I know no one has put an estimated guess on when Sonny gets to come home. As long as the wound is open I'd just as soon he stay there because of him going up and down the stairs here to put extra strain on it. I, too, had to at Thomas being a "player!" I wonder what exactly that means in this day and age.

Susan -- Your week sounds like it was very interesting and informative! The Visa cards would sure be a nice perk for everyone. Were the others from all over or mostly from the eastern part of the U. S.? I had never heard of steel cut oatmeal until Bob brought his recipe home. I'd have to say that Sonny almost looked like he was smiling today. I can tell he is feeling lots better.

Maggie -- My furnace has been running off and on all day. It's just a damp cold feeling tonight. I will take the snow over the hail, sleet, and ice. I sure hope we don't get the ice but it sounded pretty definite. They warned of power outages if the wind keeps up. It's hard to get back into the exercise routine once one quits. Good luck!

I'm heading for bed! See you tomorrow and wishing you all a wonderful Wednesday!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #4  

Good morning girls! Gonna be another warm day in the 80's but we are supposed to get some super thunderstorms this afternoon. I hope Jack gets home before they start.

Tomorrow night is Thomas's band concert, then Friday Jack goes downtown to get his week of jury duty. I guess they assign you a week you have to be responsible for. Frankly, I doubt he minds. Boring or not sitting and waiting is better than work for him I would imagine. Saturday Jack has an eye doctor's appt and I am going out to lunch with my daughter, which will be fun just the two of us. Been a long time since we have done that. Sunday is commissary day.

Susan: Wow, interesting week. It's amazing to me that people process different foods differently. I hope this proves very beneficial to you and helps with some of the health issues. I imagine Casper was ready to go home with mom. We are taking Fortune with us in June to Indiana and he will love that. He travels so well, doesn't get car sick or anything, just sits in his little carseat and sleeps. Since he rarely barks he isn't an issue at pet friendly hotels either. No one knows he's there.

Jean: Gosh sounds like dentist month for everyone. I am glad Sonny is a bit more chipper and I agree, you want him completely healed before having him back home. I can't believe it, you are supposed to get snow and it is balmy and 80 here today. In fact, it stayed in the 70's overnight. I imagine we will be cleaning filters and such for our ac units and getting them ready to go. We are using fans right now trying to keep the utility bill low. Jack actually came home on time. I guess they fixed the mess they had. Thomas has had this same girlfriend for a couple years I think. I think he likes the attention, but really isn't all into the girlfriend/boyfriend thing. I think he hangs with his boy friends for the most part.

Maggie: I am going to do that polynesian style chicken in the crockpot tonight. Jack just wants his chicken breast fried so that's what he'll get. Actually, I just brown it and cook it in a chicken broth type gravy for him and he likes that a lot. I am anxious to try the crockpot stuff. I will try and freeze all the extras and see how it comes out. I would imagine it would be ok. I hope all things go well with the sale of your mom's home.

Well, need to get the day started. Have a good one and stay warm ladies, Susan stay cool! Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Talking Hallelujah Humpday

GOOD LATE MORNING MAGNOLIAS☺♫

Graceous sakes it is already Wednesday. It is currently 26ºs as I type and not expected to get any higher than 31ºs this day. I am so thankful for a nice warm inside to be in. This isn’t a piece of April that I want to keep in a memory bouquet for sure. I will keep the piece with the birds all twiterpated and the trees dressed in fresh greenery & blooming. Our apple trees get the prettiest blossoms. Hopefully the little apple tree will produce some fruit this year. The old one does a good job of producing still yet. Wish orange trees would grow here for they smell so lovely in the spring. I have memories of driving by the many orchards in CA with the top down on my yellow Mustang convertible and drinking in the wonderful odors of the blossoms. That is the April I want to have a piece of in my memory bouquet. I know we do so need the rain but I would really prefer it to fall in warmer weather. I don’t think I have a thing to go “out” for this day so will stay in this house and get on with my walking program.

I need to figure out a day’s menu and get something out of the freezer. Hopefully I have a meal being preserved in there that I can just take out and heat up. I just may have some spaghetti sauce and meatballs in the freezer and just need to see if there are any spaghetti noodles in the cupboard. My cooking ambition is on a low point this day. However, when I get more coffee in me, things just may change and my ambition will come back. Bless his heart Will put a shot of espresso in my morning coffee and it sure tastes great. He has mastered using the little espresso pot I have on the counter next to his coffee maker. When I bought that espresso machine I was looking for the smallest I could find that would make a good batch and this one still does. I love my morning cup of coffee ~ don’t you just already know it.

I put on a pair of pants yesterday that didn’t fit any longer ~ they wanted to slide off. I hope I can find a pair just like them to order for they are one of my favorites. My caftan also drags the floor now and I need a smaller version. Since my middle has shrunk then the caftan doesn’t have to cover that stomach area and bingo it becomes too long. I am not hard on my clothes and hate to give them up when I shrink out of them for I buy things I really like to begin with. However, there comes a time when I must give in and buy a smaller size. I don’t wear my clothes “tight” in the first place so when I shrink they start to look baggy quickly. I can’t find a couple of my favorite blouses anymore so will have to settle for a different style. I am not happy with some of the styles out there at present and hope spring will bring some better ones in my size. My blouses have to be at least ¾ length sleeves because of my large upper arm area. I don’t like to show off my fat. I don’t have the body style that has a big rear end so I don’t have a shelf back there to shrink. I really do not like to clothes shop. How weird is that.

DONNA FAYE That will be a nice luncheon with just you and your daugher and I am sure you two will yack it up. Hopefully Jack will get an interesting case to have to sit on if he does have to be on one. I always wanted to serve but "they" didn't want me because of my job. What was neat was when I would get called I would show up to be dismissed and then I would trun over that pay they gave me to the accountant at work and get paid my regular wage which was much more than that little jury check they gave me for having been there. Sometimes I would get time and a half because I would have to show up at the court in the morning and my shift was2 to 10 at work so the court thing was 'overtime'. How sweet it was. Money to spend at the gold market.

JEAN Did you end up getting to meet with your lunch bunch? Hopefully the weather permitted your gathering for that event. I think that cat likes you better now that he has gone to the vet for awhile. You treat him so much better than "they" do. Not that they treat him bad ~ but they "must" do things to make him back to exact. Our lights blinked once just enough to have to reset the clocks on the stove and microwave but the electricity stayed on through the storm after that last evening.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #6  

Talking

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's cold, windy, and rainy again today, but no snow . . . yet. I did go to lunch bunch; there was only four of us so enjoyed the smaller group as well as lunch. Then I went to visit Sonny. He is really feeling a lot better! He has one more laser treatment on Friday and then gets to come home! I could have brought him home today, and then taken him back again but I didn't want to go through the trauma of getting him back in the carrier -- too much for both of us at this point.

"Gma" -- I wish you could share some of your 80 degrees with us! It feels like 23 here, damp and cold. Lunch with Kelly is something to look forward to. If Jack wants to serve on a jury I hope he gets a juicy case to observe. I found the whole process interesting but don't know if I would like a long term case. Let us know how your chicken turned out as it sounds yummy.

Maggie -- I don't like to clothes shop either! When we were in Sioux City a couple weeks ago I went to Kohls, Penneys, and Younkers. None of them had anything I would even try on let alone buy. I was very disappointed! First of all, orange is not my color and I'm not into see through material, low cut necklines, nor short skirts. I have a mental picture of you losing your pants! on them not fitting your body any longer. We are still supposed to get more rain, ice, and snow tonight and tomorrow.

I've got to sort some laundry and get ready to leave for bell practice -- last one until next fall. Hope you all are having a good day and enjoy your evening.

Last edited by Jean; 04-10-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #7  

Good morning gals. It thunderstormed and rained hard from around 9 PM until early this morning. It is still raining and will continue throughout the day. Fortune got scared and I didn't know it. He goes and lays on the stairs when he is scared. If I had known it, I would have put on his little thundershirt. He came downstairs around 3 and I had him just climb up into my lap and go back to sleep. If he feels all cuddled up, he will go back to sleep.

I know you gals in the north are having some cold stuff. They canceled/postponed last night's CUBS game in Chicago as they were having freezing rain and below zero wind chill.

Jack headed out to work about half an hour ago. We have the concert tonight and it is at 6 and we have to get there super early for seats so we are just going to grab a sandwich at McCalisters for dinner then head to the church. The church is about half mile from the restaurant.

I am a bit nauseous this morning and have been the last couple mornings. I think it is from having my stomach be completely empty. It goes away fairly quickly once I am up and around and eat breakfast so it isn't anything to worry about.

Jean: I am so glad Sonny is going to get to come home by the weekend. He is going to love being back at the house I bet. Sounds like you had a nice lunch with your friends. It is weird how they do the jury here. They wrangle up a huge group of people then assign them a one week time period where they have to go in and sit everyday and maybe be called, maybe not. Jack said he would buy a Soduku puzzle and read on his Iphone while he waited. As long as they don't try and screw up our trip to Indiana in June, I am ok with whenever he has to be down there. I doubt the lawyers would pick Jack. He has very, very definite opinions on most things and around here, he wouldn't be a welcome jurist. I have a place online I get most of my clothes. I never buy here in town. Sounds like if you want anything from Penney's you better hurry. The article I read yesterday says unless the new CEO can change things and in a hurry, they will be out of business permanently by Labor Day. Too bad, as I like Penneys.

Maggie: So nice to have clothing that you are slimming out of. It is hard to have to sell or give away good quality clothing, but it comes with the desire to be thinner and healthier. I saw yesterday our trees finally have leaf buds. All the trees are flowered out here but not the leaf ones (thus the allergies) The south has such lovely flowering trees, tulip trees, magnolias, red buds, dogwood, cottonwoods, etc.

Well gals need to get my day started. Starting Monday I am going to try and take Fortune out for a walk everyday, but stay close to the condo. The low groin cramping can make walking really miserable and the hormones are causing on and off diahrrea in the mornings so don't want to get too far away. Have a great day all. Faye
Old 04-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #8  

Good Morning, Flowers! It is snowing and at 32 degrees it's anybodys guess what the rest of the day will bring. Right now it is melting as soon as it hits. I've been to the gift shop to pay some bills. I finally got smart and took the checkbook, stamps, and envelopes with me and wrote the checks there. Doing that saved me another trip! I don't always know when there will be bills to pay, but I saw all the new boxes when I picked up the money on Monday. The lady vet was there having coffee with friends and I stopped to tell her Sonny is coming home tomorrow. She works a couple days a week but I've never figured out the schedule. Anyhow, she said he is ready as he has developed an attitude!

I have crafty club this afternoon and keep waiting for a call on that. The hostess lives out in the country and sometimes has us meet at a restaurant if her roads are too bad. I will go visit Sonny afterwards. The soccer games for tonight have been postponed so I can cross that off my list.

"Gma" -- Sioux Falls has gotten the brunt of this storm I think. The kids have been out of school for 3 days now. Jason said that only the main roads have been cleared and people have been warned to stay home. The ice on power lines has caused major outages not to mention all the tree and building damage. I feel so sorry for Fortune when it storms. It's good he will settle down with you. Penneys could save a bunch if they quit sending out the pathetic catalog/brochures. You can't order anything; I don't even look at them. I knew I would never serve on a jury as long as I worked for the school district. There were several trials for kids I had worked with. Enjoy the concert tonight!

I have laundry loads to get going so better keep moving. Hope you all enjoy a terrific Thursday!
Old 04-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #9  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Chilly Windy Thursday

I am very pleased because I got in 3 sessions of walking in yesterday and will work up to where I was time-wise when I quit. I’ll add some more minutes to each of the sessions today. I didn’t dare to start out when I quit my program last August 31st. I had to laugh because I couldn’t find my pulse at first but I finally did for it had moved from the place I used to take it since I have lost more weight. I put a dot with a felt tip marker when I located it. It will probably wash off in my shower but I will find the spot again and re-mark it if I think it will be necessary. BTW I had to take another link out of my bracelet so it wouldn’t slip down off my hand. It weighs 4.42 ounces which is a tad bit over a quarter of a pound. I usually take it off when I weigh at WW. But you can now see why it would slide right off my hand if I didn’t shorten it a link. It still isn’t tight on my wrist and has a goodly amount of play but won’t slide off. I can still slide it off though without undoing the clasp. I wear it as a constant reminder to be OP. I have so far shortened it half an inch and it won’t just slide off as it is. At the academy when I was there to be trained ~ in the restraint methods class those instructors were delighted when they would put handcuffs on me and I could slip right out of them. I am able to fold my hand to be as small as my wrist so then I could slip the handcuffs right off. They were delighted because they could use me as an example for the others in the class to learn to use alternative methods of restraint on folks like me.

It is just 39ºs as I type and not said to get over the high 40ºs today. A might chilly for me to be venturing outside this day I would think. Will is at the museum and has requested that we have spaghetti tonight for we didn’t the other nigh so that will be easy to oblige. Also I need to bake a fresh loaf of bread. I think the loaf will be loaded with wheat berries and bulky things with lots of fiber to lower the points+ per slice. I will go out to the kitchen and decide what kind it will be when I get off here.

DONNA FAYE Are you absolutely certain that your cramping and bowel problems are caused by your female problems? Have you explored the fact that you may actually have a food alergy causing the bowel disruption? What ever it is you do need to find out what is causing your upset and get it taken care of. How long has this been going on anyway? Long enough I would venture along with Susan. OH I love the Red Buds and the Magnolias ~ such beauty you have there. Lots of eye candy. Hopefully Jack won't get too awfully bored.

JEAN What fun ~ Sonny with an attitude. That will be interesting to say the least. Hopefully he will be very happy to be back home with you. I imagine that vet bill cost you a bundle. Good thinking to be prepared and take what you need with you and saving a trip. I am still chuckleling ~ a cat with a 'tuode.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #10  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's another gloomy windy day in my neighborhood with freezing drizzle predicted. My Sioux Falls grandchildren finally got to go back to school today after three days of "ice" vacation. I am impatiently waiting for a call from the vet clinic to pick up Sonny. Yesterday the vet showed me his wound area; it's about the size of a 50 cent piece and bright red, like it could break open any time. Looks really ugly! I asked about any restrictions, like stair steps, and he said Sonny would be "good to go!" I can tell he has a different attitude and it will be interesting to see what he's like once I get him home again. I will really feel bad if he hasn't felt good the whole time he's been inside and I was too dumb to know. Otherwise it is dusting and vacuuming today.

Maggie -- on getting back into your walking routine! Also on making your bracelet smaller, what a treat! It will be interesting to have Mr. Sonny home again as I know Ernie will have his hisser in high gear this time.

I'm off to bond with the dust rag and vacuum. Have a GREAT day; remember that the choice is yours!
Old 04-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #11  

Good afternoon all. It is chilly here today but lovely sun is out. It is supposed to get into 60's. I am sure ready for warm spring and it is nice to see the leaves starting to come out on our big ole tree.

Thomas did a great job on his concert last night. He plays trumpet in the Eagles Ensemble band, the 7th/8th grade band, and the concert band, which you can only get into with an audition. He also plays keyboards for the jazz band so he was all over the place last night as the only time he wasn't playing was when the 6th grade band played. (this pic is of him warming up to play with the ensemble. He is surrounded by girls so I imagine he likes that! ) I had this trashy mother sitting next to me. She had on skin tight jeans and some trashy top, sat and played with a smart phone all the time and even had the gaul to take off her shoes and put her feet up on the pew(the concerts are held at a big church.) yuck!!!

Well, I imagine Jack is downtown by now waiting to see what comes of the jury business. Tom's mil was telling us last night she sat on a murder trial here in Memphis once. Ugh, I wouldn't want to do that here I don't think.

Maggie: Congrats on the changes that show you are losing weight. I have had a second opinion and actually a third one too in a way. They all agree since I can't have the Novasure and have the lining burned, this is the best way to go. I am not having symptoms enough to warrant removal they don't feel as I have said, they are concerned with more major surgery for me. As to the diahhrea, it stops when I stop taking the hormones and doesn't come back again until I start them up again. It is one of the side effects listed. I just take immodium if it becomes too much of a problem.

Jean: I am anxious to hear how it goes with Sonny being home. Hey, can't blame yourself as you took him in as soon as you noticed his not walking right. It wasn't like he was bleeding or had sores or anything. I do understand though. Even after the several years, I still wonder if I could have done anything to help out Butterscotch. I had no idea his kidneys were failing and he quit eating just a couple days before we took him in.

Well, Fortune wants some attention and I should get to making a menu and grocery list. Have a wonderful weekend. Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thomasspring.jpg (35.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 04-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #12  

Sonny is home! The tech put him in the carrier for me and sat him by my feet while I paid his bill. I was pleasantly surprised; $552 and all the laser treatments were half priced. The charges were for boarding, IVs, meds, laser, and the ER visit on the weekend. He growled, which I've never heard him do before. He growled a couple times on the way home too. I took him to the basement thinking he had all the necessities close by. He growled at Ernie on his way out, went up one step, and then back down to go behind the furnace. I came upstairs leaving both cats together downstairs. Ernie came upstairs shortly after I did, and about a half hour later Sonny peeked around the corner. He has been "talking" most of the time and is now intently watching birds and squirrels on the deck. I think he is glad to be home!

"Gma" -- Thanks for sharing the picture. It is a good one and Thomas has grown up into a handsome young man. I will be curious to hear about Jack's experience this morning. Our "duty" is 3 months long, and we are required to call the night before, usually Sunday night, to see if we need to report the next day. They are pretty good about excusing jurors for vacations if it involves plane tickets, reservations, etc. We've had several murders, kidnappings, theft -- you name it. I had to serve on an OWI which was short and sweet. We took 30 seconds to find the guy guilty only to learn afterwards it was his 7th OWI arrest.

Last edited by Jean; 04-12-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendly Friday

I just flat didn’t want to do my walking yesterday afternoon but made myself do it and added another minute and picked up the pace which got my heart rate up which is a good thing. My target heart rate is between 75 and 90 and it was 84 yesterday right after the walk. I give myself a gold star for doing it anyway when I was really being so resistive. I finished the other two sessions without having to talk myself into it. Today I am not so resistive and will just do it thinking of how my body will thank me. After I get back to where I was when I quit I will add some hand weights to the routine and do some arm exercises as I walk. My reward for bashing on regardless was a nice cold bottle of Perrier water. I’ll have to remember my trying to talk myself out of walking and how I struggled through it. I have done my first session this morning and at the start of it my knee was hurting and I was limping along but as I walked some more it started to ease up and by the time I finished my session it was a whole lot better. I will do two more walking sessions before the day is over with. Did I mention that I am not a fan of exercise? I sure wish I had a private pool for I do love to swim and don’t consider that exercise but it is. There are pools in town but I am not into having a public display of my fat.

My lap top is acting up and getting hot and the fan runs constantly and very slow running. I have cleaned it out and so it isn’t because I have tons of cookies in it and Will said it is time for me to get a new one. I really don’t want a new one but I also don’t like the way this one is acting. We shall see what transpires first ~ if I go totally bonkers trying to use this one or I do bite the bullet and get a new one.

We went out for lunch and I had a wonderful salad with shrimp in it but mostly greens, tomatoes, cucumber and so good. My dressing was on the side and I didn’t use it. I am so used to having my salads sans dressing that I don’t even miss it now. Sometimes when the dressing is extra good I will dip my fork in it a few times but never ever have it dumped on my greens. Right now I am sipping on a small Lemon Lime Arctic Rush which is 3 points+ and worth every sip on this warm day. Mostly I love eating the shaved ice. For dinner I am baking some pork chops over scalloped potatoes and tossing a green salad with cut up tomatoes, celery and onions in it.

I am so glad we didn’t put any plants outside yet for those in the town that did had their garden plants all frozen this last storm. That is sad for it is certainly money lost plus the discouragement that came along with it. Since the weather forecast is favorable for this coming week we can put some tomato plants out that have had a good start under the grow lights in the kitchen above the window. The grow lights are three on a track so they can be moved as needed.

DONNA FAYE What a nice picture of your grandson. He is growing up to be quite the "looker" and with all his talent he will go far I would imagine. Well at least you do know what it is that is causing your discomfort.

JEAN Now don't you just wonder what it is that Sonny is talking about. I am sure he is loving being back home. He went behind the furnace to make sure his excape place was still there. I am certain he is glad to be home once again.

I need to do a few things before I start dinner so I will say ~ so long for awhile . . . Hope everyone had a wonderful evening
Old 04-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #14  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is trying to shine and man, does the dust ever show! I dusted a couple days ago so am heading down to change the furnace filter next. Not much on my agenda today except to do some sorting for the church rummage sale. We've decided to donate our bedroom furniture which is "junk" we bought on a close out sale several years ago. My dresser has 9 small drawers that will hold anything small but nothing big like sweat shirts and sweaters. Maybe I've already shared that tidbit. Sonny remembered the bedtime treat routine so guess he is really home. He is talking to his birds and squirrels as I type.

Maggie -- I don't like to exercise either. I do like to walk outside though. Bob will walk with me but he can take bigger faster steps so ends up ahead of me. Bob's secretary was having some sort of problem with her home computer. She has lots of different programs that she uses to make greeting cards and she does the books for her church. The computer guy told her that in a couple years none of the current programs that people have will work because of the new technology being developed. I wish they would leave stuff alone for people like me who are LD users! Same wish with new cell phones!

I'm dressed and need to get busy. Hope you all have a super Saturday and enjoy whatever you are doing!
Old 04-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking Simply Sunny Beautiful Saturday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS☺♫

Got my 3 sessions of walking in yesterday. Each day I will bump my time each “go round” a minute until I reach 20 minutes 3 times a day and will eventually do the whole hour in one walking session. But that will be awhile but that is the plan. Slow and steady I go so I don’t injure myself again. When my walking time is longer I will attempt to walk the neighborhood in a cool part of the day ~ we shall see when that time arrives. I actually believe I will enjoy walking much better if I do it outside. I have a 4 foot bamboo walking stick that has been hardened for it is one of the ones just like the police in India carry for crowd control. It is so hard that a machete can’t whack it into. I will carry it along on my walks outside for balance if I need it. Have any of you seen the WW charm you can earn by tracking activity ~ a person walking? One would look nice on my bracelet. I could put it next to my sneaker and bar bell charms on my bracelet.

I am home alone with the animals this day for Will has gone about an hour away to meat with a state official about a dig that unearthed some old bullet casings. They want Will to identify some of the things they have found. I chose not to go and tend to some things that need doing here.

It is @ 10:30 am and the temp is 52ºs and not expected to be over the mid 60ºs. Nice spring weather. They say we may get some rain come next Wednesday. That is a few days off and things may change in that category. ♫Oh let the rain come down. ♪

JEAN What fun to get new bedroom furniture to replace the pieces you are donating ~ or did you already get some and I was in my "unawares?" I love the nice big drawers in our dresser. It is long with 3 sets of 3 nice sized drawers. My favorite winter time jacket is absolutely to large for me now and so I will get it cleaned then donate it. I would like to find another just like it in a smaller size for it is real comfortable and cozy. Sonny is back to exact now and can keep those birds and squirrels told off. I think Cecil will keep the birds off our garden plants. If your computer guy is correct, which he probably is, I would not like losing some of my favorite little programs when i get a new computer. I lost a couple when I got this one and don't want to lose any more.

Last edited by Maggie; 04-13-2013 at 12:21 PM.