Old 04-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #1  
Started IP March 28, 2013

S/C/G: 173/162.4/149

Height: 5'3"

Default IP Products - Nutritional Facts

I asked if anyone had a Nutritional Fact sheet on another post. It was suggested to use http://www.plainprotein.com site for the information.

When I compared the Vegetable Chili mix from that site vs. the box I have there is quite a difference in sodium. Plainprotein.com states 730mg and on the box I have it's 490mg. Both labels are from Canada. Does anyone know if IP is changing some of their products?

I'm finding it frustrating as I've always prepared my foods low sodium and I'm surprised at the sodium content in some of the IP foods.

The reason I'm being so picky is that I've very sensitive to sodium. Therefore, I'm trying to select foods with lower sodium content.

It's unfortunate the clinic doesn't provide a nutritional fact sheet for all their products.

Last edited by LynnOntario; 04-11-2013 at 02:39 PM.
LynnOntario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Thumbs down High Sodium in some foods...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnOntario View Post
I asked if anyone had a Nutritional Fact sheet on another post. It was suggested to use http://www.plainprotein.com site for the information.

When I compared the Vegetable Chili mix from that site vs. the box I have there is quite a difference in sodium. Plainprotein.com states 730mg and on the box I have it's 490mg.

I'm finding it frustrating as I've always prepared my foods low sodium and I'm surprise at the sodium content in some of the IP foods.

I'm in Canada. I'm wondering if the products are different in Canada vs. the US. Does anyone know? If so, does anyone know of a Canadian site similar to the plainprotein.com site?

The reason I'm being so picky is that I've very sensitive to sodium. Therefore, I'm trying to select foods with lower sodium content.

It's unfortunate the clinic doesn't provide a nutritional fact sheet for all their products.
LynnOntario...I agree about the sodium! The soups are WAY out of line for good health and that surprised me. Recently, I returned all of the higher sodium items I had unwittingly bought...one of the staff who allowed me to do that said she was going to mention it to the Dr...that they should probably question the company on that. I doubt anything will happen tho' .....we are surely not the first to question this. I guess it comes down to each of us taking personal responsibility, and not taking anything 100% for granted. I also am sodium sensitive and right away noticed water retention when I ate the soups... Crazy....
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

I think the idea is that you need higher sodium intake on a low carb diet.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #4  

Lynn:
Have you asked your clinic for the sheet you are looking for? I know they are available b/c I got one when I started (products have changed since then)

Another person will probably chime in here.
Leannekarella is watching sodium, in addition to many other ingredients for health reasons.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #5  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Lynn:
Have you asked your clinic for the sheet you are looking for? I know they are available b/c I got one when I started (products have changed since then)

Another person will probably chime in here.
Leannekarella is watching sodium, in addition to many other ingredients for health reasons.
Yes, I'm trying to stay low sodium, but I've also gone rogue and doing mostly alternative products now BECAUSE of most everything being high sodium, and high carb, as I'm diabetic with heart condition and water retention issues...

I stick with the IP omelet pack (though now I've given those up using egg/egg whites instead of the IP pack. I also stick with the drinks.

Before going IP, I never went over 500 mg sodium a day EVER unless I was eating out. Now I can't seem to stay under 1000, which concerns my GP to no end.

What I'm doing now... I switched to using Real Egg White in the carton and one real egg instead of an omelet pack. I have ordered Syntrax medical grade whey protein and make my own soups and add the proper amount to my own low-sodium homemade veggie or chicken soups. I use Syntrax Nectar for my fruity afternoon snack drinks and use a couple flavors to mix with my morning coffee. And I use Wonder Slim or Weight Loss Systems pudding/shake mixes for my evening dessert/sweets and shakes.

For IP products, the only thing I still buy is the pre-made chocolate drinks, and the pre-made mango drinks, and I use those for my "on the go" morning drinks if I can't be at home to make a hot drink.

The diet works, but I've had to make it work around my health concerns, which I cannot do consuming their products. I love the soups...the flavors were great...but one packet a day, and I had to take an extra diuretic, and I'm not killing my kidneys for weight loss.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #6  
Getting there!

S/C/G: 198/ticker/158

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by leannekarella View Post
Yes, I'm trying to stay low sodium, but I've also gone rogue and doing mostly alternative products now BECAUSE of most everything being high sodium, and high carb, as I'm diabetic with heart condition and water retention issues...

I stick with the IP omelet pack (though now I've given those up using egg/egg whites instead of the IP pack. I also stick with the drinks.

Before going IP, I never went over 500 mg sodium a day EVER unless I was eating out. Now I can't seem to stay under 1000, which concerns my GP to no end.

Leannekarella--thanks for sharing your story and info on sodium. I have not been following that with the nutritional information but I really appreciate your research. I too have been trying to follow low sodium to reduce high blood pressure, but naively I assumed it was all good. Big Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
workingit50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #7  
Started IP March 28, 2013

S/C/G: 173/162.4/149

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I started the program through the pharmacy my friend works at and they didn't have a Nutritional Fact sheet. My friend lives 4 hours away so we've been keeping in touch via email and I've been weighing and measuring myself. I'm in the process of making my own Excel spreadsheet with all the information. Leannekarella thanks for the great tip on using an egg and egg white instead of the IP omelet. This is an excellent idea.
LynnOntario is offline   Reply With Quote