Old 04-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #1  

Default Questions for Runners and All C25Kers

I have always wanted to be a runner. I've never been able to run anything close to a mile. I wanted to do a C25K program to get me started. I just wanted to know any advice. I want to know any and everything like how hard is it? Is it better to start out on a treadmill or outside? Did you have a problem with people looking at you? I'm about 296 lbs, should I wait to start running? Did you lose weight running? What are some good things to know when first starting out?
violetlioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:48 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

Well I'm not sure how much help I'll be, as I am not a runner by any stretch of the imagination. I have however started C25K at least 4x, and am currently just about to start week 4 which is always where I quit.

The first time I did C25K I was just over 200 pounds. I've done it anywhere between 180 (current) and (210). So I was never as heavy doing it as you will be attempting to, however I was very out of shape. It actually took me until I tried to do C25K to realize just how out of shape I am. I couldn't run the minute to start off. It was super embarrassing and I was doing it on a treadmill in my own home! When I first started instead of moving on after the 3 runs I usually did at least 1 more but sometimes even more. I didn't move on until I felt I was ready. There were days I was holding on to the treadmill for dear life just waiting for the beep to come so I could start walking again. It was tough.

I always ran inside because I was embarrassed for anyone to see me try to do it. However I currently don't have a treadmill or a gym membership (I'm cheap) so I'm on my second go around running outside. I had to break for winter! I think for me, living in Korea actually helps me get over my fear of people looking at me, because they will anyway- I live in a tiny town. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable running outside back home. Having said that I actually like running outside because I do it at my own pace. When I used a treadmill I set my walking and running speeds and didn't go off of them. I know for sure that I'm running much slower then I did on the treadmill. This has made it much easier for me to complete the runs. Last Fall, I swear I was walking faster than I was running! Currently, I use an app to track my speed and my average (walk and run) is pretty slow, my last time out I had a 9:28/km average.

I would say that you might as well try it. If you're worried about people starring at you, do it on a treadmill, that way you don't have the distractions of the other people and will be more likely to stick with it. My other piece of advice is what I stated above, slow down- both with your speed on the treadmill and how long it takes you to get through the program. If the first weeks easy, great move on, but if you're having difficulty, don't give up. Split the runs in half, go for just as long as you are capable of. It will get easier.

Good luck!
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:17 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 265/(ticker)/155

Height: 5'6"

I started around 255 but didn't finish the first time. I wish I had. Week 4 is the tough one and one day I didn't run, and one turned into two, then three...

I started up again at around 200 and I'm on week 4 again and 181. No, I didn't lose 20 lbs in 4 weeks by any stretch, but I move very slowly through the program. I actually did a 5K last weekend and just did my Week 3 intervals over and over until the end.

I would check with your doctor to get the okay to start just to make sure. If you can't finish Week 1 the first try, that's okay. Start with 30 seconds of jogging or even 15 if that's all you can do. Go at your own pace.

I personally prefer to run outside. The first time I started and didn't finish, I started on a treadmill. I wonder if that's why it didn't stick. Now I'm using an app called RunDouble on my phone and it will interrupt your music to tell you when you walk or run. If you run outside, it will also tell you your distance and pace.

If you have other questions, let me know. A good sports bra and good shoes are very important when you start out, but other than those upfront costs, running is free

Last edited by Underwater; 04-11-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Underwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:48 AM   #4  

before starting a running programme, you should be able to walk comfortably for 45 minutes at a quick pace. If you can't do that, make that your first goal.

Then, start slow. The goal is <no injuries>.

walk 1 minute. run 30-60sec, then walk 1 minute (or longer if you need to). Then stop after 20 minutes. Then add 10-15 seconds to every run period slowly eliminating your walk periods.

The main thing that stops people's efforts is doing too much too fast and then they end up injured or so sore that they lose all motivation.

good luck!
cestlavie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #5  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

I think the key to running at any size is to get fit for proper shoes. I also recommend being active outside. For some reason, I get all sorts of aches and pains while on a treadmill. I read about some alignment issues while on treadmills. Maybe that's it. :: shrugs ::
http://www.alignedandwell.com/katysa...loor-disorder/
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #6  

I'm finishing up week 3 of c25k and loving it. I do it on my treadmill so I can control the changes of speed electronically (I wouldn't know how to do it outside?).

I had already been walking 3-5 miles a day for the last 6 months or so which I think helped me with my stamina in this program. I can't believe I can actually run for 3 minutes straight, it's nothing short of a miracle. I'm so glad I started this, I wish I did it months ago. But I think maybe I wouldn't have been ready to.

I just keep telling myself that I can repeat any week that I need to, it's not mandatory to do the 9 weeks in the 9 weeks. The program gets progressively harder and I will deal with it as needed.

I can't say anything as far as weightloss as I do more exercise everyday besides the running but I'm hoping it tones up some parts of my body that I don't use other than when I'm running!

Good luck!! I hope you post your progress here!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #7  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

I did it years ago, starting on a dirt track at the local highschool and then jogged on forest trails and had no trouble. Lost some weight (didn't own a scale) and felt so good and proud of myself--I just felt fit/athletic!
(even though I'm slow! And like you said--was never a runner. It's just nice that you are going at your own pace and not competing with anyone else)

I started again a few weeks ago...we have moved, and I'm not within walking distance to a dirt track or trails so, I started on pavement....SOOOOO.... I'm currently nursing a sore knee...WAAAAHHHH! I'm not sure when I'll be back to it (or if).

I've only tried a treadmill once and it was really disorienting to me.

Like Cestlavie said, I also made sure I could walk for 45 minutes before starting.

Good luck!
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #8  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I'm a runner but I've always hated running.

I've always been a exerciser, swimming, biking, elliptical, weights, etc. I starting doing triathlons and walked the running portion. BUT it was always my least favorite part. It was at the end of the race and bah! I just wanted to be done but it was sloooooow. So I started running instead. Then I realized the rest of my walks were kinda boring too, so I started running them. Now I run 2-3 times a week.

I think the goal with exercise is never ever to rely on it for weight loss. I'm not saying that it doesn't help but I can eat way WAY more than what I burn in a run.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #9  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Get clearance from your doctor.
Go to a running store and get fitted for shoes.
Buy a sports bra that has both compression and encapsulation.

Ok...now....go do Couch to 5K! The great thing about the program is that it really is designed for those who are just getting off the couch and heading out the door. When I did it in a few years, I was 240 pounds and so out of shape it was ridiculous. But I was able to do my first 5K race only 6 weeks into the program...and I ran most of it!!!

And the crazy thing about running is that once you "become a runner" it's almost like you're a runner forever, or something. I just started running again recently, after having not done it for over two years, and it only took me three practice runs to get back up to being able to run a full mile without stopping. I was really afraid I'd be all the way back to Day 1 of C25K. Nope.

About how running affects weight loss...I think that's a very individual thing. Some people lose, some people don't. It depends on how many calories you burn and a whole lot of other things. And really, weight loss is more about food than exercise. You lose weight in the kitchen, you get fit at the gym.

Hope this has helped. Good luck!

ETA: Proper running form is very important. Read this article.

Last edited by Novus; 04-11-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote