View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #83
bingefree2013

veggie, I'm not versed on the subject of food addiction. I suspect that I am not however, a food addict as I never was as a child. I had a complete lack of interest in food as a kid and was more interested in running outside like a loon until the sun went down, and watching bad cartoons ad nauseum.

I also doubt that people who diet and then binge are true food addicts. The bingeing and obsession with food is just a natural response to their restriction. It's an awful experience, but normal to have happen because the body wants calories to stay alive. For those who have been obese and obsessed with food since childhood, perhaps they do have an addiction, but as I said, I don't know enough about it and it's different than what we're talking about.

Your story with the donuts versus steak made me think: I'm not sure of your most recent dieting ventures, how many calories you were on, or how many calories you eat now. It's highly possible that your body is still trying to make up for a past deficit. It doesn't matter how long ago said deficit was. That energy is going to need to be replaced and that usually requires more than maintenance calories. That's why the donuts made you want more donuts. The body likes fast, quick, carbs, when it's energy stores are low. After all, no one ever binges on lettuce!

People that are non-ED normal eaters don't tend to get strong cravings for many donuts at once, at least not in my experience. Sure, a lot of normal eaters might be at a party and eat to be eating junk food for the fun of it (I did a lot of this at sleepovers, but was never distressed or concerned), but they don't get those "feelings" coming over them, nor do they debate about, "should I, or shouldn't I?" There's no dwelling. Your stomach may be full, but often times your brain knows more about the energy state of your body than your stomach does. A lot of people coming off restrictive diet plans cannot follow IE for this reason. The body/mind has not fully recovered, and hunger/fullness are skewed for the time being.

You know why I don't overeat anymore? Because for months now I have kept giving my body back the food and calories I robbed of it during 2011 and most of 2012. I ate a LOT more than I was during those times. In the beginning the food was good and I thought about it a lot; all the things I would and should eat. Ice cream was a biggie that I added back in; (I used to fear it more than any other food, now I eat it daily and there's no issue). But now...eh, food is not so interesting anymore. Nothing really excites me until the hunger is strong enough to make me get up and go get something to eat (moderate hunger, not ravenous). Basically, my brain shut up. And it shut up because it's better fed.

If you're having persistent thoughts about eating something and it's nagging you, go with it. Eat it. Gain some weight, restore the energy balance in your body and heal. I'm not telling you or anyone to gain 100lbs; I'm not promoting being fat, whatever that means... But in order to heal from an ED or a restriction, usually some weight gain is required. The body will sort that out later if you leave it alone and let it do it's thing. Even your sister gained weight and then it came off spontaneously by itself. The point is that it shouldn't matter though. The weight does not matter. Beating the restriction for good does.

ETA: A note about why we tend to binge on high fat/salt/sugar: When rebounding from an energy deficit, the body doesn't give a damn about nutrients, only calories. That's why that lentil soup, even though formerly restricted, didn't entice you the way the donuts did. And what's more calorific than ice cream, donuts, cake, cheese, etc? If someone was literally starving in front of you, would you offer them a salad or a cheeseburger? If it were me, I'd smack the person who offered me a salad!

Last edited by bingefree2013 : 04-10-2013 at 05:39 PM.