View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #13
Munchy

S/C/G: 128.8/125.8/115

This is how I incorporate more vegetables into my foods instead of just eating them on the side. It works for me and my daughter, but we don't have any food aversions.

It's just some small ways that we bulk up our nutrients and volume without noticing.

I also do freezer cooking, so when I make burritos, nuggets, meatballs, burgers, etc, I cook them (with the exception of burritos, which I just wrap), then freeze them on a cookie sheet and transfer to gallon baggies. I freeze individual servings of curries, chilis, stews, soups, and other "one-pot meals."

Why cook 8 times if I can make 8 servings at once and freeze them?

This works well for homemade sauces too. If you won't use an entire jar at once (of tomato sauce, enchilada sauce, bbq sauce, etc) you can freeze in smaller jelly jars and keep a jar in the refrigerator and the rest in the freezer until you need another one.

I'm not sure if you're making homemade baby food, but freezer cooking was the only way I could save money and I knew exactly what was in my daughter's food. I just cooked, pureed or chopped very small (depending on age) and froze in ice cube trays until we could transfer to labeled baggies.

All of this allows me to have a variety of healthy meals on-hand at any time, plus I save myself time, money, and we know what is in our foods at all times. We hardly throw food out at all. If I'm not going to eat it, I'll find a way to freeze it :P

Last edited by Munchy : 04-10-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote