Old 04-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 188/175/145

Height: 5'3"

Default TOM weight gain/loss

I started last week and I had posted that I gained 2lbs last week due to my TOM...well my TOM came this morning and my question is...once you get your TOM how long does it take for your body to start releasing the extra weight? I have been 100% and it is REALLY discouraging that my first week I gain 2lbs and did not have last BIG drop that most people experience in the first week. I am hoping that this week I will see an extra large drop!
barri1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/start IP 159.8/134.8/130

You should see a big difference next week. My coach says you hold at least 2 pounds of water weight during TOM. I am right before TOM now and at weigh in today I was only down .4 and gained 1/4 inch in waist and 1/2 inch in chest!!
Keep going and stay OP, you will see the benefits soon!
Happymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #3  
Started IP 1/10/13

S/C/G: 225/175.5(home) 176.2(IP)/120

Height: 5'0"

In March my body held on to the water for a week before and a couple of weeks afterward. Then I had a whoosh! Just stay OP. You'll see the scale move.
Desafinado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 275/269/145

Height: 6'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by barri1970 View Post
I started last week and I had posted that I gained 2lbs last week due to my TOM...well my TOM came this morning and my question is...once you get your TOM how long does it take for your body to start releasing the extra weight? I have been 100% and it is REALLY discouraging that my first week I gain 2lbs and did not have last BIG drop that most people experience in the first week. I am hoping that this week I will see an extra large drop!
First of all congrats on your success. Secondly just gotta throw in the warning bell and tell you. The weight loss is much slower toward to the end. I lost 40lbs by just eating healthy and exercising, to get where I am 3 years ago and have kept it off. I just started IP last week and lost 6lbs, (I am sure 4 of that was water weight but that's another story), and I am sure that the rest of the last 40lbs of my weight will fall off slowly as I am 6 feet tall and a size 12. And my experience is that when you become hourglass shaped instead of circle shaped your body becomes complacent with your weight and does not feel the urgency you feel to lose those last two sizes of weight when you see yourself in a swimsuit. LOL

Warnings aside, when TOM comes I can really pack on the water. It can be hard to tell when I lose weight during TOM days. Best thing for me has been to just keep plodding through the diet 100% compliant AND add water, decrease or eliminate coffee, NO added salt or high sodium foods, lots of cruciferous veggies as these have a diuretic effect, and at least 30 minutes of light exercise walking, elliptical on lowest settings. I also take an extra potassium pill and and extra multimineral at the end of the day because I consume 3L on my TOM days and this flushes out electrolytes causing leg cramps if I don't take them. I know that IP wants you to add a certain amount of salt to your food so do what you gotta do there. (I do alternative and take Country Life and Blue Bonnet supplements that I buy at Whole Foods and that I have been taking for years. You may need to talk to your coach, MD, or even your pharmacist for advice about supplements and TOM. I love my old pharmacist. Remember they have doctorates or masters degree levels of education to understand pharmacology and vitamins fall under their umbrella of training so don't forger what a great free resource they can be!)

My weight goes up days before my period and is equalized again by the day after TOM is done. I would get so worked up about the fluctuations that I don't always weigh myself the week of my period because seeing all that water weight can throw me into such a state that I would get frustrated and start snacking. I notice that the next week I weighed myself, 1 week after TOM over, I would lose weight from my last weigh in 2 weeks before. I have PCOS and I know that this can affect weight loss for different reasons so just take that into account.

My suggestion that you skip a weigh in may send many into a tailspin but it worked for me when I was losing the first 40lbs because I didn't despair over the water weight all week and reach for the muffins and potato chips. The next week (1 week after TOM over) I lost weight appropriately for 2 weeks worth of weight loss or 2-4lbs.

Hope this helps!
charliebear99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desafinado View Post
In March my body held on to the water for a week before and a couple of weeks afterward. Then I had a whoosh! Just stay OP. You'll see the scale move.
I agree. Good advice. "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming" -Dorie the Fish
Old 04-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by barri1970 View Post
One of the reasons we measure losses in more than one way is because the scale (in the short-term) doesn't tell the whole story, especially in women. We have so many hormone fluctuations!

If we are 100%, we are losing fat. Measurements should be telling the story, as should how our clothing are fitting. The scale will come along. I think the hardest part about a weight loss program is patience! We want it off NOW. Water weight will come & go for a variety of reasons. IP isn't really a program for "tweaking". Stay 100% and it really works! Check anyone's signature who has been on the plan for a while & you'll see consistent losses.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #7  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

I usually have a "whoosh" with the scale right around the end of my period.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/177/160

Height: 5.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by leannekarella View Post
I usually have a "whoosh" with the scale right around the end of my period.
Mmmm i have never wanted TOM to come but that would be a bonus LOL
heritagesoftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #9  
started IP 03/18/13

S/C/G: 233/174/180

Height: 6'

Oh ya you will notice a big drop towards the end of our period.. Don't be discouraged. You will get there !
cdnmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #10  

Height: 5'9"

I went up 3.8 lbs due to my TOM & lost 8lbs the week after. My coach says that ittle weight loss or weight gain is common around the TOM & that our bodies will release the extra weight/water as soon as it's done.
leahrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #11  
Starting over: 7/29/2015

S/C/G: 257/251/150

Day 3 of TOM is today, and no weight loss at my WI. : I'm hoping for a whoosh next week, when Aunt Flo is gone again!
tam67green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #12  

So TOM is looming and I just have to laugh at my hormones. Last night I laid their listening to Pandora, drinking water, not hungry at all (at little thirsty), but dreaming of potato chips. I can't keep these babies in the house as they are my big weakness. This happens every month during PMS and I just think it's comical.....

Hope everyone and everyone's hormones has a great day!