View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #53
KitKat169
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

TOD MAN PLA (THAI FISH CAKES)
Ingredients
1 1/2 lb (681g) firm, fresh, raw, white fish (cod, halibut, sole, shrimp, scallop, lobster, etc.)
3 each (99g) egg whites
1 tbsp (6g) fresh ginger, minced
4 each (12g) garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp (15g) red curry paste
1/4 cup (72g) fish sauce
10 each (10g) fresh kaffir lime leaves, cut into very thin strips (lime zest is an acceptable substitute)
1/2 lb (227g) green string beans, ends and string removed, cut into thin little discs
1 small (74g) red bell pepper, seeded and cut into small dice
2 tbsp (28g) light oil (for sautéing ... such as coconut, olive or ghee)
salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste

Method:
1. In a food processor, place your fresh fish, egg whites, ginger, garlic, curry paste and fish sauce. Puree the mixture into it is a smooth frothy paste. Transfer the mixture to a bowl.
2. Fold in your lime leaf strips, green bean discs and red bell pepper dice. Season with a bit of salt and pepper.
3. Heat a skillet or large sauté pan over medium heat and add your oil. These are often deep fried, but I opted to cook them like pancakes (less mess, less need to use a lot of fat/oil, for the purposes of frying). You can do it in any manner you see fit.
4. Add your oil to the pan. When the oil ripples, place little plops of paste into the oil (I tend to use a small ice cream scooper for this). Press down a bit, to flatten them out. They'll cook more quickly and evenly.
5. When one side is nice and golden brown, flip them to cook the other side.
6. When they are cooked through, serve!

Note: This is delicious served with some thin slices of cucumber and chilies, tossed with some fish sauce, rice wine vinegar and a bit of sweetener.

My progress photos: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini...ss-photos.html
KitKat169 is offline   Reply With Quote