Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 09:03 AM   #1  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Default WEEKLY CHAT - October 13th - 19th

Good Morning Everyone,

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend. Mine was so great, just the weather alone ahhhhhhhhhh !!!!!

I'll be back later.....

Hugs, Leenie
Old 10-13-2003, 09:54 AM   #2  

Default Good morning

We had great weather on Saturday but Sunday it rained. I am in Massachusetts by the way.....but even the rain on Sunday didn't bother me. My husband had to get up and go to a meeting in the morning so I got up and cleaned the house. I put on some music and cleaned and cleaned. We went out later but it was just misting.

I was relatively well behaved over the weekend. I never have a problem with food, it is the alcohol. Friday nights we go out for a few beers and at dinner on Saturdays I like to have wine. My food choices were great though. When we went out on Saturday night I ordered my favorite Buffalo Chicken Salad with blue cheese dressing. Instead of getting the chicken tenders they usually serve with it I asked for grilled chicken. Still very good. They changed the way they serve it though...when it came to the table it was piled high with crispy tortilla strips I asked for a side plate and took them ALL off. I was so proud of myself.

Now on to this week. I am determined to be down another 2 this week. I know that to some on this plan that isn't much but for me that is good. I am down a total of 8 pounds and that has taken me 4 weeks. But I am not discouraged. When I was on Weight Watchers I would have been THRILLED with 8 pounds in 4 weeks. I know that most people on Atkins do better than that but I have always been a slow loser.

I am a little worried with the holidays coming and all....I want to be down a solid 15 by Thanksgiving so that I can enjoy the day. I am not a stuffing eater and at this point I could pass on the rolls but my husband makes KILLER mashed potatoes! And of course I have to have my cranberry sauce. I may look into making a carb friendly version to bring with me!
Anyone have one?

Well, I have to get back to work. I will check in later.
Have a great day all.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:32 AM   #3  
Each Bite of Sugar...

Default Good Morning...

Well, I can honestly say I don't feel guilty about snitching the raw cookie dough - because BOY have I been paying for it. I have felt so sick... not food poisoning sick either.... just because I have had zero sugar for 3 weeks and then BAM! I slammed my body with sugar and flour. It just wasn't ready.

I'll work on the low-carb pumpkin pie - but I don't think a low-carb cranberry sauce is even possible. You're dealing with fruit in the first place and fruit that is SO TART that sugar has to be added just to make it edible. I don't think that quantity of Splenda would taste good to anyone and the sugar helps it gel up, I think. You'd be better off with sf cranberry jello...

Got on the scale and wasn't surprised to see that I'm back up 2 pounds...

I'm back to strict induction again - no macadamia nuts either. Those things are dangerous!!
Old 10-13-2003, 12:51 PM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Hi Everyone,

If I may give a little advice.... please this is very sincere. If you have a day where you make a mistake, do not weigh yourself the next day, just jump right back on the wagon and weigh yourself the following week BUT BUT BUT don't let that mistake become a 2 dayer or 3 day mistake, you have to be good the next day, keep your carbs real low and watch your calories. The mental anguish we put ourselves thru after a mistake is astonishing. It can make or break you so don't do it.

I screwed up sooooooo bad on saturday, I mean I ate everything not nailed down. I REFUSE to get on the scale until next weekend. I can't afford to be depressed and let ONE little slip up emotionally destroy me.

So try not to have slip ups BUT if you do, just get up, brush your knees off, stand tall and start again.

We can do this, you know we can, a slow loss is okay.....I'll repeat that A-SLOW-LOSS-IS-OKAY!!!!!

We don't need to race anyone we just need to get healthy.....
Next year at this time maybe we will be at or close to goal.... wouldn't that be glorious!!!!!
Old 10-13-2003, 03:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/240/164

Height: 5'9"

So true Leens...

it's so hard when we are aiming for ketosis, bacause you would think yes, a Snickers bar will knock you out of it and yet one time I had one and said I'm finished, no more... salad with grilled chicken for dinner, then start over tomorrow, and, just for fun I got out a ketostick in the morning, and I was still burning fat... had I made the snickers bar the excuse I needed to have pasta and bread for dinner. It would have been a real set back instead of a small bump in the long road. One meal, one day, even one week of going off plan, these are pretty easy to make up for.

Hi, I'm on day 2 of induction (this time around) I just got stinky breath, yay, now the head ache should ease up a bit.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:48 PM   #6  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

Good morning everyone!

Had a good weekend, Saturday was DH's 40th Bday. I was really sick still, but we still had a great day!

Even being sick, I havent had a problem with sticking to this WOE. I am proud to say I am down 1.5 pounds this week for a total of 19.5 pounds! WOO HOO!!!

FOr those of you who had slip ups, dont lose heart! We are all human! But Leens, I have to disagree with you about not getting on the scale. For me anyway. If I eat something that might not be on plan, I have to see the damage, that just cements my resolve to keep sticking with it. I know what the plan is, and how my body reacts. And even in the NDR book Dr. Atkins talks about using the scale and Ketostix to see how you body reacts to certain foods or if you are on OWL and higher levels to see when you stop losing and start gaining. BUT this might not work for everyone. But for me it is motivation, not detriment.

Just my .02!
Old 10-13-2003, 04:10 PM   #7  
Slimwithin

I didn't slip up. I had a "planned treat". hehe. Well, it's Canadian Thanksgiving so I gave myself permission to have a dinner roll and some potatoes and I have to say I enjoyed every mouthful. Also the cheesecake which definitely was NOT low carb but I only had a sliver.
Then I had my WI this morning and was only down 1/2 lb for the week but a couple of inches as well scattered here and there (never from where I want them to go tho). Today, I'm back OP and determined to stay there for the rest of the week.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:06 PM   #8  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Default THANKSGIVING DAY TALE

Congrats to all who have lost weight this week....I am still hanging in.

TOM has arrived, and as usual for some obscure reason this seems to knock me out of ketosis? Very strange, but have read of a few others who have this same reaction. Leens as you mentioned about not weighing ourselves, for me it is sometimes not testing with the sticks...like today. It does depress me to see a "negative' reading, and in the back of my mind a little voice says "you're out of ketosis...so why bother?"

I am excited tho, cuz while I usually barely lose weight the two weeks prior to TOM, I usually do lose a couple of pounds once it is over...this keeps me going. I hope this cycle provides further confirmation of this phenomenon!

Went to Sister in law's for big thanksgiving turkey feast. I did encounter some problems and learned some rules. Never assume that the veggies that will be served with the turkey are going to be atkins friendly/low carb. Along with the turkey came: stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, peas and corn! What's a girl to do?

I had LOTS of turkey with a tablespoon of gravy, a spoon of stuffing, and a tablespoon each of peas and corns...I'm sure everyone (14 guests) thought I was some kind of veggie hating CARNIVORE!...

Dessert was PIES...but I did bring along a huge bowl of sf chocolate mousse for sharing, which I really enjoyed....coffee was served with MILK, no cream, and I did have one glass of red wine.

All in all I did pretty well considering, and am still full so barely ate any dinner. Still drinking more water, and hoping not too much damage done.

So should I weigh myself tomorrow or not? I will confess that I am scale-obsessed and find it VERY HARD not to hop on every morning. I agree with Leens tho that if it does affect you in a negative way, sitting it out might be preferred! I try not to feel guily if I eat something off plan...just figure I'm only human, and this is a lifelong change and it's okay to falter a bit along the journey.

Froufy

Last edited by Froufy; 10-13-2003 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:48 AM   #9  
Slimwithin

Froufy, pretend that you've already weighed and that the news was bad. Stay off that scale! Try to stay off it for a couple of days and drink lots and lots of water. That's what I'm doing and I'm beating a path to the bathroom but if that's what it takes to lose that Thanksgiving dinner, then so be it.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:38 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 181/158.8/135

Height: 5'5"

Well Ladies just wait until our Thanksgiving, I'm sure I will have some confessions. I think you did well, after all it is only 1 day a year.

I had a good weekend, I feel like this diet is getting easier and easier as time goes on. I keep finding more that I can eat. I found the Atkins ice cream fudge bars and they are delicious.

I had 1 pound weight loss this past week. That makes a total of 3 pounds lost!!!! YEA

Dinki
Old 10-14-2003, 03:53 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 194/165/135

Height: 5'4"

Froufy, what I did after I gained 2lbs last week was to have my husband hide the scale and not give it back until this morning. I was killing myself stepping on and off everytime I went to the bathroom. I will have him put it away again in the morning.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:28 AM   #12  
Movin' and Losin'

Great job on the losses, ladies!! And, I'm so impressed at the Canadian ladies -- you all seem to realize that Thanksgiving was only one day, and that you will be back on track today -- what a great attitude! I hope you all enjoyed yourself on your holiday!

As for me, I have been on induction for one full week. The first three days were hard, but from then on, it's been great! I really love Atkins! The best part.... Yesterday I weighed in at TOPS, and drumroll please... I lost 8.5 pounds in my first week!! That is so amazing to me. I've spent months stuck at the same weight, and then, within one week of Atkins, I've made a huge dent in my weight loss! I'm so motivated to keep going and lose the rest!! Let me say it again: I love Atkins!!

So, it will be more of the same this week. I've found out that one of my favorite "treats" on this diet is coffee with cream and Splenda. I didn't even think I liked coffee! But, it's so wonderful. I use it as my dessert. I also really liked the pork rinds French toast. It tasted so much like French toast, just a little more rubbery!

Well, I hope everyone else is doing well, and I hope everyone has a good week!!

Take care,
Jina
Old 10-14-2003, 09:38 AM   #13  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

WOW JINA!!! Great Job...you must be walkin on cloud 9....nice to know all your efforts have paid off, and you sound like you are well on your way. Keep up the good work. Also congrats to Dinki, sounds like you are also doing GREAT!

I also enjoy coffee as "dessert" altho I have weaned myself off of sugar in my coffee, so no splenda for me...I do love the REAL CREAM tho...what a treat! Have yet to get into the pork rinds thing - just the name turns me off...lol. Have tried a few (bbq) but found they too salty and not that yummy. Have to try the french toast tho as I have heard many raving about it.

No need to HIDE THE SCALE - altho I have done that before..as I am down this morning...despite some extra goodies....my lowest yet 188.4 (The TOM weight loss phemonmenon continues). I hope to lose at least another lb before the end of the week if all goes well. I am almost at 32 lbs lost and I can hardly believe it!

Even if I wanted to ask dh to hide the scale I don't think he would...now that he is low carbing he is worse than me!..and jumps on and off several time in the am to see how low the number go...and he records the # on a daily basis on a piece of paper...something I won't do!

Back at work today, altho I don't want to be here, munching on a couple of Atkins banana nut muffins, with butter and decaf w/cream. Need to buy some more mix, altho it is very expensive here. Both dh and I are low carbing so the muffins don't last too long. May try another flavor if only 2 grams each like the banana ones.

No plans for dinner which is dangerous. Need to stop at Fruit and Veggie store prior to picking up daughter after school. Need to stock up on fresh veggies, berries and they have a meat/fish section, so may get some stir fry beef strips to add to veggies for dinner. Lunch may be out - if I don't get stuck at work at lunchtime I need to get out to run some errands, so may have to find a salad or something good out there...wish me luck!

Froufy

Last edited by Froufy; 10-14-2003 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:06 AM   #14  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

JINA - WTG! :clap: Isnt atkins great! Do share your French toast Recipe! I havent seen that one yet! I love pork rinds. I used to love them as a kid, and still love them now!

I am still suffering with my cold. I am going to give myself one more day off from the gym then go back tomorrow. I still have that crud in my throught and it gets hard to breathe sometimes. Sigh...

I have a full day today! working my son's classroom, then daisy scouts, DD's soccer practice, then GS Leader Meeting tonight. MAN! what am I doing to myself???

Tomorrow I have NOTHING so I can stay home and do stuff for ME!

Talk to you all later!
Old 10-14-2003, 10:08 AM   #15  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Quote:
Originally posted by KarenW
But Leens, I have to disagree with you about not getting on the scale. For me anyway. If I eat something that might not be on plan, I have to see the damage, that just cements my resolve to keep sticking with it. I know what the plan is, and how my body reacts. And even in the NDR book Dr. Atkins talks about using the scale and Ketostix to see how you body reacts to certain foods or if you are on OWL and higher levels to see when you stop losing and start gaining. BUT this might not work for everyone. But for me it is motivation, not detriment.
Just my .02!
Karen I agree with you 100%, but, thats if you can emotionally handle the scale going up. I can't and will stress out, it would litterly ruin me for the next few days. I think thats why diets have failed me in the past. This time around for me, I will not let something so petty as a pound or two get me down I plan to beat this thing and this is what works for me Wish I was more like you

I'm so happy to see everyone doing so well, your all such an inspiration. Keeps me going.

Bravo on everyone who got back on track after T-Day

Can't wait until our T-day, I have my sweetpotato casserole w/strusel topping alllllll ready to go !! lol.

Hugs
Closed Thread