Old 04-07-2013, 02:44 AM   #1  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Default Do you ever feel like...

The world wants you to be fat? Everything in your life just keeps falling into places that mean you can't get food or exercise? I just now got back on plan and losing (switching from WW to Simple Diet for a few weeks). I'm feeling so motivated. Hoping to reach my 15% goal in the next few weeks.

But.... Money is short which means no food for Shannon. My mom has been helping me get healthy food to fill in the gaps when "the money is short." She's amazing. I really don't want to ask her this week. Even when I woke up, my husband said, "you can get something to eat if you want." What? Unless that is grocery shopping, I am not going to a fast food restaurant when I just got back on plan? Why is it so easy to forget healthy foods for cheap fattening foods like ramen? I'm so frustrated. I just want to lose weight. I want to feel good in my body instead of a fat lump with indigestion from overeating. I'm just now starting to see the small bit of collarbones peeking. I want this more than being fat. Right now, I'm mostly focusing on my eating. I'll add in formal exercise eventually. Most I'm doing is hooping a little and bellydance classes twice a week.

Last edited by Daimere; 04-07-2013 at 02:54 AM.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #2  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I have totally felt like it was a conspiracy to keep me fat. But once I decided that the only person keeping me fat was me, I was able to break free (so to speak).

You can do this! Keep on keepin on!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 265/(ticker)/155

Height: 5'6"

In my weight loss class, we call what you are describing as "the gap"... like there is a gap between what the world is like in most areas of the developed world and what it should be to promote healthy living.

Simply- it sucks. It is so easy to slip up, sometimes without even realizing it. This video is like the epitome of that- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kND9P1q1-dI

Last edited by Underwater; 04-07-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Underwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:43 PM   #4  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Have you thought of going to a foodbank? I know Northwest Harvest (Seattle area) works hard to get fresh produce to local food banks and at their Seattle foodbank they said they never ask for proof of income or anything - their philosophy is that if you're willing to go to a food bank and stand in line, you must need the food.

I've been meaning to find one myself in my area because of some recent hospital bills I could actually use a little help.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:41 AM   #5  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

The world doesn't want me to be fat, but some big companies have invested a lot of money into marketing fat-making products at me.

There's only one person in the world who truly wants me to be fat...and that's my mother. <sigh> And there's one person who has mixed feelings about it all and actually makes me fat. And that's me.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #6  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

When I walk into the market- I do feel like "the world wants me fat:"

When I learn about Monsanto, I feel like the "world" wants to make me it's pawn:

When I learn about GMOs, I feel like the "world" wants me to be sick.

But unfortunately, as AlmostMe has pointed out- it's not the world. It's a few VERY powerful companies.
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #7  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

You can also contact some local farmers to talk about trading some time on the farm for discounted food. I wont get into the hippy parts that I love (feeling connected to your food chain, ect. ect), but I think it's a super great idea.

Some farmers even advertise cheap food on craigslist. Or maybe your mom would want to go in on half for a CSA (community sponsored agriculture) box.
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #8  

Height: 5'8.5"

The world doesn't want you to be fat but the big food manufacturers want you to shove in all of their cheap junky "food like substances" so they can make every buck they can, and they do not care if you are fat or die from all their garbage. Unfortunately, they are subsidized by the US government through all the subsidies for cheap genetically modified corn and soy, etc. Yes... it IS a very few powerful companies!

Fortunately more and more people are becoming aware of this and fighting hard to both eat right and force labeling, etc. But it is up to us personally and individually to figure out ways around it.

You are right in that it is more expensive to eat healthful foods, which can make it very difficult for those on tight budgets. I agree with the suggestion that you try to find a food bank. Also, summer is coming so you might want to try to find local fruit and veggie markets, which carry lots of inexpensive fresh produce.

Her in Washington there are farms where you can go yourself and get fresh produce even cheaper, especially if you pick it yourself. But even if you don't the cost is still much less. Every year I go to a raspberry farm on Whidbey Island and get a big crate; also at their weekly farmer's market get big crates of blueberries and strawberries.

You can do this! Just think creatively and do the best you can!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #9  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

I just had the most amazing lunch today. Quinoa and other grains, salad and haloumi cheese. Was it cheap? No. Did it cost more than two fast food meals (I fed two people). No. And it would have been a cheaper meal if I'd cooked quinoa myself instead of buying it in ready to eat pack.

Was it low cal? No. But it would have been without the cheese.

Was it nourishing and delicious. Yes.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #10  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Sometimes I think eating healthier is more expensive but I'm not 100% sure it is for me.

For example I used to hit McD's or Wendy's fairly often which would cost $6-$8. Then I noticed I'd balk at buying good sliced deli turkey because it was $10/pound. But that $10 would make 5 meals plus a little more expense for the hummus/lavash bread I use. It was actually way cheaper.

If I wanted to I could probably buy a turkey and cook it myself and get it a lot cheaper than $10/lb but I pay for the convenience.

I should probably track my purchases and see how much I actually spend each month...
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #11  
Hooping my Life Away

Quote:
For example I used to hit McD's or Wendy's fairly often which would cost $6-$8. Then I noticed I'd balk at buying good sliced deli turkey because it was $10/pound. But that $10 would make 5 meals plus a little more expense for the hummus/lavash bread I use. It was actually way cheaper.
Yeah, sometimes I can get really good deals on veggies and lean meats. It just depends if I can go to the store at the right time for the manager's specials. I've been able to be on plan for $30 for a week sometimes. But it's based on those lil specials and what I'm eating (I think that was the salad + lean meat phase).

I'm not sure if I would use all the veggies in a CSA box. Someone said it's best for foodies cause you get all these random veggies. I just wish deposits weren't so big for the local CSA.

I think everything will work out in the end. At least this time. The thing I keep telling people is: if I had a medical issue that required a special diet, people would make allowances. But the moment you are doing it for "weight loss," it's petty. If I don't eventually keep the weight off, I will get diabetes or worse issues.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #12  

S/C/G: HW:319/RW:257/CW:193.0/GW:140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimere View Post
The thing I keep telling people is: if I had a medical issue that required a special diet, people would make allowances. But the moment you are doing it for "weight loss," it's petty. If I don't eventually keep the weight off, I will get diabetes or worse issues.
I would say that the prevention of diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, and cancer is a medical issue and it does require a special diet. You are losing weight for your health and that makes your "diet" a medical necessity!! Never let anyone say that it is petty!!
sluggerbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #13  
A determined quirky chick

S/C/G: 265/227/160

Yes! I have been thinking about that the last few days. Everytime I go in a store, what do you find near the doors and checkouts? Chips, cookies, candy, cakes, etc. Everytime I go to Sam's Club they have samples out, and very rarely is it truly low fat foods. Last time it was cakes, cheeses, and pizza. At Aldis there is always chocolate and cakes at the checkouts.

Also, since I am on a low income, I have to really budget. And even if you do like I do, sometimes it drives you into the dirt just trying to eat healthy. A lot of people say that snack foods and junky foods are much more costly, but not all.

Look at Michelina's frozen dinners: they are $1 each, but like 500 cals each, and they aren't huge. Look at these: Little Debbies: anywhere from 150-400 cals, and 18+ carbs in one little snack cake or cookie; Roman Noodles: half a pack is 190 cals and 26 carbs; Kraft Mac N Cheese: 260 cals in 1 cup, and full of carbs; Vienna Sausages: 260 cals of which 190 come from fat, and over 1,000 mgs of sodium; El Charrito frozen dinners: 420 cals and over 1,000 mgs of sodium.
Quirky Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #14  
Hooping my Life Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggerbean View Post
I would say that the prevention of diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, and cancer is a medical issue and it does require a special diet. You are losing weight for your health and that makes your "diet" a medical necessity!! Never let anyone say that it is petty!!
Obviously I find it important but to others (ie husband) it is "petty" and selfish. I only have 31 more pounds to hit my 2013 goal. I feel revived and ready to do this. I wish people understood that more that weight loss may seem expensive in the short term but in the long term is so much better!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #15  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

I really do not find it expensive. I eat so much less on my diet than I am saving bucks.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote