Old 04-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #1  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Default Greek Yogurt Love

When I was first here in 2009 I began to hear about this stuff called "Greek Yogurt." Back then I had to look all over town to find some - now you can get it everywhere.

I tried a whole bunch of brands this past week since there is so much choice now. My favorite is Greek Gods brand my second favorite is Noosa.

Chobani and Fage are at the bottom for me.

I really don't like low or non-fat greek yogurt they do not taste very good.

The full fat version has more calories per serving but can also satiate me for a long time so I find I actually consume fewer calories in the morning if I start off with a full-fat version.

I use Greek Yogurt in smoothies and the plain version makes an excellent and healthier substitute for mayo and sour cream. It's also pretty delicious on its own.

If you haven't tried Greek Yogurt as a substitute for mayo/sour cream give it a try.

Well those are my thoughts on this stormy afternoon, lol.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #2  
dirty labour daughter

S/C/G: 318/301/155

Height: 5'10"

I also only like full fat greek yoghurt - I liked the taste of Greek Gods a LOT....then I found out that it wasn't actually strained and still had a whole bunch of lactose. I was a little ticked off, since the lower lactose content was a major reason I was buying greek yogurt in the first place. We switched to a local brand at that point (Windcrest Dairy) which was AMAZING and then eventually I started making my own. I never tried Noosa, but my husband loves it! I liked Fage a LOT better than Chobani, for what it's worth.
merilung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #3  
career counselor a-gogo

Yeah Chobani is definitely at the very bottom for me. Another one I like is Zoi - I don't have lactose issues so I hadn't thought about that part.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:46 PM   #4  
Going goal.

S/C/G: 316/ticker/140

Height: 5'6" & 3/4"

The only ones I have liked so far are the yoplait 100 calorie Greek yogurts. Fred Meyer (Kroger's) brand was alright. Chobani and Fage are icky to me.
pixiefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:50 PM   #5  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I like the Yoplait 100 cal ones, the rest that I have tried are just nasty! The dog would not even eat it!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #6  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

I've never cared for the taste of yogurt, so I've never really gotten into the greek yogurt. However, I do love sour cream. I'll have to try your suggestion to use greek yogurt instead.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #7  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

I've completely switched all my yogurt to Dannon's light and fit greek 80 calorie. If only they made the same yummy flavors as non greek!
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #8  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

I am okay with the 0% Fage and Oikos greek yogurt- I use it in pretty much everything including smoothies, sour cream substitute, homemade mac and cheese, alfredo, baked goods. I do not like fruit already added to my yogurt so I don't buy any of these and I don't buy the flavored ones like vanilla because that would mean I cannot use it in my savory dishes so I just add the vanilla on my own if I want that.

Though I have to say if you are planning to use it in a, say a (x) layer dip where you will be using a lot, add a bit of garlic salt and/or some cumin/chili powder mix because it can be a little tart compared to sour cream. I have gotten a few comments on the sour cream tasting a little "sweet" and "different" and I did agree with them so I just add garlic powder/salt and some cumin/chili powder mix and no one has ever said anything again but if you're just gonna have a dollop on top of something, it's a good substitute and you cannot tell the difference.

One day, eventually, I want to make my own!

Last edited by amandie; 04-07-2013 at 12:52 PM.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 172/Ticker/122

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandie
I am okay with the 0% Fage and Oikos greek yogurt- I use it in pretty much everything including smoothies, sour cream substitute, homemade mac and cheese, alfredo, baked goods. I do not like fruit already added to my yogurt so I don't buy any of these and I don't buy the flavored ones like vanilla because that would mean I cannot use it in my savory dishes so I just add the vanilla on my own if I want that.

Though I have to say if you are planning to use it in a, say a (x) layer dip where you will be using a lot, add a bit of garlic salt and/or some cumin/chili powder mix because it can be a little tart compared to sour cream. I have gotten a few comments on the sour cream tasting a little "sweet" and "different" and I did agree with them so I just add garlic powder/salt and some cumin/chili powder mix and no one has ever said anything again but if you're just gonna have a dollop on top of something, it's a good substitute and you cannot tell the difference.

One day, eventually, I want to make my own!
You can also try a pinch of salt and a couple drops of lemon to make it taste more like sour cream

Posted from 3fatchicks.com App for Android
sparklegirl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #10  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklegirl07 View Post
You can also try a pinch of salt and a couple drops of lemon to make it taste more like sour cream
Posted from 3fatchicks.com App for Android
Ok, I will try that. Thanks for the tip!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:245 CW:ticker GW:145

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex View Post
I've completely switched all my yogurt to Dannon's light and fit greek 80 calorie. If only they made the same yummy flavors as non greek!
I love this one too, my favorite is cherry
Curvycurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #12  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

If you shred half a cuke, add dill and sea salt to taste, squeeze lemon juice in it, its an awesome garnish for salads and sandwiches. I love it like that on grilled meats, stuffed into a wrap or pita.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #13  

Height: 5'8.5"

I love the Zoi vanilla Greek yogurt!!! Great in smoothies too
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #14  
career counselor a-gogo

Misti - us PNW folks are kindred spirits.

"We're a lot like you, a little different."
Old 04-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #15  
Finally in control.

S/C/G: 294/236/199

Height: 5'4"

I like the Fage 2%. I can't say that I've tried any other brands. The full fat Greek yogurt is beyond delicious but I'm not willing to consume the full fat calories on a daily basis so that's out for me. I also only eat the plain yogurt as the flavors have more sugar and I just add fresh fruit. Breakfast is the best meal of my day.
ChickieBoom is offline   Reply With Quote