Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #1  
Workin' It

Default Maintainers Springing Into Summer!

It is finally feeling like spring here today, so we are on our way to sunnier days and warmer weather! Gardens, bathing suits, shorts, cute dresses... New houses and new offices and new babies for some of us...

Let's shed off our winter doldrums and show summer what we maintainers can do!
Old 03-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Yay, Shannon! Thanks for starting the new thread and bringing in such positivity. Spring is all about hope, and fresh starts, and growth. It feels so motivating. Let's try and stay that way!

I was trying to figure out the coffee shop that you referenced, but because I commute from the city and am on campus all day, I don't really know too much about the area except for the big things. It's too bad, though; I hate when local businesses don't succeed. Even worse when they could and then didn't.

I'm heading out for a run after work. The sunshine has me feeling chipper!
Old 03-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #3  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

It was lovely and sunny out all day and now it looks like this (NYS Capitol building in Albany). Gross. Still going to run between work and going to "The Merry Monk" for mussels frites (I'm going to see if they won't give me a side salad or something instead of frites) and Belgian beer.

Weight spiked a LOT over the weekend, up from 124.6 to 127+ but was back down to 124.8 today.

Hope everyone is well. I am lurking.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
It was lovely and sunny out all day and now it looks like this (NYS Capitol building in Albany)..
This looks like the start of a Stephen King movie.

Last edited by bargoo; 03-27-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #5  
Just watch me ...

Hi. This is just what I need for a jump start and renewal

The past couple of days I've made poor food choices and, while I'm probably up just 2pounds from the carbs, I feel horrible. And the worse part is, is I'm forgetting that, even with the +2lbs, I'm still Down about 30. Which I think is a big deal, but I'm not feeling it these days. I feel as though I'm back to square one.

Anyone else gets this feeling?

Krampus the lighting in that photo, although grey, is kinda nice....did you take that picture ?
Old 03-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I will join you in this thread when I no longer have to wear a parka, boots, and 2 other layers of clothes under them to work.

Dagmar
Old 03-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #7  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

I can post is a spring thread - I just walked to Whole Foods without wearing gloves!

That's an ominous picture, krampus.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #8  

I have to go have lab work tomorrow, will I be able to wear Bermudas ?
Old 03-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #9  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Krampus - I love that picture. It gives me those delightful shivers that you get when a big storm is coming. Or is that just me? When I lived in the Sierras I would love to see a huge storm rolling in. Even though I knew it meant 5 feet of snow and a whole lot of digging each time.

Exhale - heck yeah, I get that feeling. I doubt there is anyone who doesn't feel a bit of hopelessness when they backslide. Even though the backslide isn't nearly back to the actual starting point (heaven forbid). I'm up 8 pounds from my low weight that I was maintaining pretty comfortably. It feels like an enormous distance to get back to where I was. But beating ourselves up about it is not as productive as, say, doing something about it.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #10  
Just watch me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZeeJay View Post
..... ...
Exhale - heck yeah, I get that feeling. I doubt there is anyone who doesn't feel a bit of hopelessness when they backslide. Even though the backslide isn't nearly back to the actual starting point (heaven forbid). I'm up 8 pounds from my low weight that I was maintaining pretty comfortably. It feels like an enormous distance to get back to where I was. But beating ourselves up about it is not as productive as, say, doing something about it.
Thanks JayZeeJay, it's really dangerous, though, to forget all of the gains. I guess it's because we become accustomed to the 'new' body, and forget those 'ahhhh' moments we have after dropping a good amount of weight. We forget how exciting it is to have tighter arms, or how awful it was to have a big muffin top. So, maybe we should be happy that we have a greater sensitivity to junk food, have lower tolerance to that 'stuffed' feeling, and just get back on track Like I read on one of these posts, most people don't lose 10 pounds, because they just quit.......

Last edited by Exhale15; 03-27-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:35 AM   #11  

So sad this morning. Gary is going home under hospice care. Angie has posted they will care for him at home. Posted more on the Weekly chat.

Last edited by bargoo; 03-28-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #12  
Just watch me ...

Good morning everyone

A bit chilly this morning, but there's not a cloud in the sky.

I just realized that I really have to finish painting my apartment...It's really difficult for me to pick colors, though. I see all of these beautiful rooms in magazines, and then remember to factor in the fact that those rooms are usually at least triple the size of my rooms, have triple the number of windows, etc. etc. So the colors may not work the same way...

I'm happily discovering that I feel full more quickly than I used to. I think it's because I'm eating more protein, and have gotten away from 'fat-free'. I really think that regular, old-fashioned, food is the way to go. And when I find the junk food creeping up I realize it's because I haven't been eating properly. So it's not some mysterious evil spirit (LOL), it's just good old physiology And instead of pushing to lose 10 pounds, I need to push to prepare my own meals and eat properly and the 10 pounds will be gone...

Have a great rest-of-the-week all....

Last edited by Exhale15; 03-28-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #13  
Workin' It

Krampus - that photo is gorgeous. Scary, but lovely.

Exhale - I love bright colors! I have silver, red, gold, purple, bright blue and green and a salmon color in various places in my house. What are you thinking for yours? I always avoid 'fat free' as well. I don't love the 'diet foods', think they hurt me more than help me.

Bill & Dagmar - it will be spring for you guys soon, I promise!

Jen - Cocoa Bean Cafe, up on Jiles Road. It was next door to Big Pie in the Sky Pizzeria, which has been prominently featured on "Man vs. Food". LOL I ran yesterday afternoon as well - it was gorgeous. How did yours go? Mine was slow and painful and reminded me why I need to not let myself slack off again.

I'm still in a mostly good mood today. Have to go to storage and help move around some boxes, the art show at DSS's school is tonight. I'm going, XW is going, and I don't care if she is bothered by me being there are not. Not letting that drive me today.

And Bargoo - I'm sad about Gary moving to hospice. I don't see anything on his FB, please keep me updated. I didn't always agree with him, but I always appreciated him and his counsel. His "EZ Money 5k"s were what got me out and running, with the mental picture of him and midwife chasing me around the track. He will be missed, and I hope he gets to spend the time left at home in peace with his family.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #14  

I have not actually met Gary in person but would like to. I "met" him as I was moving around to various forums and kept running into him. It seems we have a lot of common interests. He posted a lot on the Faith Support Groups, that is where I am getting the information from Angie.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I, too, wished I could have met him. While not as religious as he is, we are both Lutheran and hold similar values due to that. He and his family always seemed to be so happy together. I feel bad for them. All the photos of him and his grandbabies--they'll miss having such a great person in their lives.
Closed Thread