Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-12-2013, 05:28 AM   #1  

Height: 5'2

Default When did you start weight training??

How close to goal weight did you start weight training? I am currently 156lb but have a have over 42% body fat so I am all flab . How close to your goal weight did you start weight training? I want to start weight training to improve my body fat levels and to tone/shape my body but I am sure if I can start now or wait until I am closer to goal....
size8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:00 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I started the day I decided to lose weight. There is no reason to wait to do weight training.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #3  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

As long as you don't have any actual physical reason or some sort of limitation... Then I don't see any reason why you should wait... there are all sorts of exercises you can do to start building strength right now just using your own bodyweight as the resistance... Actually, I do the a lot of my strength training at home these days just because of my family and work schedule.... and I'm really enjoying it... nice change of pace from being in the gym all the time...

Last edited by TripSwitch; 03-12-2013 at 10:16 AM.
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

I agree, no need to wait! I started a couple weeks ago and I'm pretty far from goal. It'll help you look better by the time you get to goal.
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #5  

Height: 5'2

Thanks all, I am starting tomorrow. I already have a few fitness videos from Jillian Michaels, Amy Dixon and Jari Love. I am very excited, cant wait for my body to start shaping up...
size8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #6  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I started a year ago after I'd lost most of the weight I wanted to lose. My only regret is not starting YEARS EARLIER.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I started when I hit around 110lbs at 5'5 and didn't look good. That was in 2003-2004 (?). Now, almost 10 years later, I'm 130lbs after 2 kids and I look fitter than before.

Undereating and not working out didn't get good results. Eating a bit less than maintenance and training hard was perfect!

Last edited by sacha; 03-18-2013 at 12:39 PM.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #8  
Amazing will be me

I started last year id lost about a stone , the results were great bu then i stopped and my weight creeped back
the weight didnt drop off either but i lost inches and gained muscle i was looking fab.
Wish id never stopped
now im starting again 10lbs heavier
lucky8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 228/213.8/150

Height: 5'7

I started I the first week. My thought is toning while losing will bring it all together. I was afraid that if I didn't do it from beginning then I'd get to my goal weight but still not be happy with my body.
Skinnygirldreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #10  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I started over four years ago at age 48 when I started my weight loss work. I'm currently just below 50% body fat, the lowest I've been in 20+ years. I still have A LOT of weight to lose, but I'm the 300+ lb woman doing all sorts of planks and squats in my Pilates class and rocking 20-lb dumbbell curls. I'm pretty proud of that and it keeps me motivated to uncover the muscles that are waiting to be revealed. Plus, I burn fat when I sleep!

Go for it!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I started as soon as I started losing in 2010--first I did resistance bands, then machines after I joined a gym, then yoga with a lot of weight-bearing poses, then free weights, and now I'm trying a body weight routine (along with bellydance classes which involve more muscle strength than you might think). I hate, hate cardio but really enjoy resistance training. I'm at 157 and 30% body fat, so even though I'm 12 lbs. overweight by BMI, I actually have a normal body fat percentage. I know I have resistance training to thank!
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #12  
Maintaining since 2013

S/C/G: Sz 20/Sz 8/Maintain

Height: 5'11

I started weight training about 1 month after I started exercising regularly. Heavy weight training helped to lean out and sculpt my body, but I had to get the extra fat off to see the results!
SunnySide99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #13  

What do you all do at home for weight/strength training? Are resistance belts and kettlebells enough if I invest in those with some type of videos to go along with it for guidance?

I got some recommendations on another thread but I haven't placed my order yet.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 350/296/125

Height: 177cm

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
What do you all do at home for weight/strength training? Are resistance belts and kettlebells enough if I invest in those with some type of videos to go along with it for guidance?

I got some recommendations on another thread but I haven't placed my order yet.
I think I gave advice on the other thread you started but I thought I'd say something here too. I totally understand that fear of "am I doing it the right way?"

I went through that for the first 2 months of resistance band training (3x a week for 45 minutes). What I figured out after seeing results and having people tell me resistance bands won't work or they are the best way, is that there is no right way. I think the most important thing is, do what you enjoy. Exercise shouldn't feel like a terrible chore. Choose something you'll get a little excited about getting better at it (that's why I included planks and pushups in my workout).

That being said, I haven't tried kettlebells before but I would personally suggest looking at dumbells and barbells that you can add plates to. I am a frugal person though and I live in a small apartment so I need something that is versatile and I wouldn't want to buy a heavier kettlebell every month as my strength builds. I'd rather get a small plate and build up every so often(takes up less space!).

Whatever route you choose, elvislover. Stick with it for at least 6 weeks before you give up on it. It takes a while to create routine and see results. If you don't like what you're doing you can always move on to something else (maybe join a gym or a martial arts class!) and sell the kettlebells, resistance bands and dvds on craigslist!

Good luck with everything!

OT though, I started after I lost the first 20lbs. I love it! As the flab shrinks I can feel and see muscles! It's awesome. The other day I had a friend grab my arm and she stopped dead in her tracks and said, "Woah, you've got some bicep there!" It still makes me grin when I think about it!
Skellig19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #15  

Thank you skellig!! Yes you did help me on the other thread, thank you!! I'm just afraid to commit yet!! Congrats on your fit bicep, I would love to have that said to me!!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote