Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #1  
Trying my best

S/C/G: 324/250/150

Height: 5'8"

Default C25K for bigger girls (250+)

I don't mean to exclude anyone here (sorry!)
but I'm looking for some support from the bigger gals doing this program
who I can relate to, seeing as we carry more weight and may have
different issues starting out.

I just did week 2, day 1 and it kicked my butt, or my shins, rather.
They were killing me but I pushed through it. I'm not sure if they
hurt more because I took a two day break instead of one.
I'm hoping week 2, day 2 goes better.

How are you gals doing? How is your body responding?
I hope I'm not the only bigger gal jogging here

Kristeebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #2  
Nicole

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5' 10"

I was 250 when I started running last summer. I'm slow, but I've done a half marathon in Feb & doing another this weekend.
Nikel1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #3  
Level 5 Vegan

S/C/G: 289/171/140

Height: 5'4"

I'm still working myself up to it. I have a mental roadblock about running in the gym and it's been too cold here for me to try outside just yet.
PUPMOM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #4  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I ran at 250+ ...just. But whether your body struggles with it or not - I think- kinda depends on your body frame. I have a very robust build...I didn't find it a problem. I'm slow, but hey, I'm going!*

Remember that C25K starts slowly not just because of cardiovascular fitness but also to get your body used to the impact of running (and perhaps mostly building mental self-belief) So if you feel you need to repeat a week for any of these reasons - then repeat a week.

Some girls on my rugby team run at quite high body weights and are fine. Some people on my rugby team - very fit and thin girls and tough obviously - can't run distances on hard surfaces because it's too hard on their knees and joints. Not everyone is designed to be a road runner, but everyone can try and you'll never know if you can or not until you do try. If C25K doesn't work out for you at this weight, try again at a lower weight - or find something else you love. Just keep moving!

Pupmom5 - My head won't let me run in the gym either. But the first few weeks of C25K don't ask you to run for very long - so I was able to do it for the few minutes required before the mental voice said "yuck, this is boring", you might be able to as well. And by the time you need to run longer times you can do it outside.

___
*OK, I'm currently not running because of a rugby injury to my foot. I do spin instead. Can't wait to start running again.

Last edited by AlmostMe; 04-02-2013 at 01:48 PM.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #5  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

I started it this morning actually! Week 1 Day 1. I was pretty sure I was going to die a couple times, and I wobble all over the place, but I pushed through and only quit 10 seconds early on the jog once. My knees didn't hurt as much as I thought they were going to. I never expected to be jogging at 274 lbs, but as long as the pain isn't unbearable and I can keep going I will. I might have even set myself a goal a color run in September! Just listen to your body, its going to hurt at first, but as long as it isn't unbearable you should be ok I think. I am planning on sticking to the treadmill for quite a while too. The roads and sidewalks in this city are deathtraps and IMO should be avoided at all costs lol. The trails down by the river are nice and smooth, but I will still work up to outdoor jogging I think. I also don't think I will have a problem repeating weeks if needed I don't wanna but I will.

Last edited by Silverfire; 04-02-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #6  
Trying my best

S/C/G: 324/250/150

Height: 5'8"

I'm thinking I'm going to have to re-do week 2.
It's really hurting my shins jogging at 1 min, 30 seconds.
I guess they aren't used to it yet. Yikes!
Kristeebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

I keep telling myself I need to do this. I keep finding excuses....knee injury/surgery 10+ years ago, need to buy running shoes, don't want to go it alone, need to buy a better MP3 player so I can "play through the pain", and on and on and on. I find it funny I can convince myself to do extreme cardio and weight lifting and jsut about every other activity under the sun but I am too embarassed to try running. Maybe it is because I have this mental roadblock of when I was heftier and had much larger breasts (breast reduction surgry is AWESOME by the way) and I flopped around all over the place and NOTHING, not even three sports bras on top of each other, could keep my girls from giving me metaphorical broken noses and black eyes every time I tried to even move. I SO want to do this program. Running sounds so fun. Maybe because I have never done it. But it sounds fun none the less. I just can't seem to find the right motivation to push me over the wall.
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #8  
Lose 1lb. Repeat 99 times

S/C/G: 262/signature/170

Height: 5'5"

I made an attempt on Monday.. Week 1 Day 1.. wasn't sure if I would be able to pull through it.. I did it for 6 mins and then stopped cause I knew my coronary was going to explode

It could be that I attempted it after my 60 mins cardio in the gym.. I was exhausted when I started but still pushed myself for 6 mins !!!

I really want to finish the C25K and I know running is the best form of excercise EVER !!!! I am giving myself some more time to build my stamina.. but I think it's more of a mental block I need to get out of. I am definitely with you on this one. You can do it !! A minute at a time.. I am motivated to try it again today !! and I will !!!

Note to Self: always remember : your legs are not tired. your mind is tired. keep moving!!

Let's do this !!!! <----- (I love this monkey )
nitrus29 is offline   Reply With Quote