Old 04-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/180/130

Height: 5'4"

Default IP and Extended Breastfeeding

Good morning,

My daughter is 11 months old and was EBF for 6 months. At that point we started solids and she's continued on those at her own pace. I work full-time, pump twice at work, and nurse on demand when I'm home.

I am planning to start IP in a few weeks when she is a year old. What can I expect as far as breastfeeding goes? I don't want to wean her completely...if I stop pumping at work (gradually of course) and then just nurse 2-3x a day, what will happen? She'll be getting the majority of her calories from regular food, and since we're nursing less there will be a less of a demand for milk. Do you think my milk will dry up all together when I start IP? Or will I be able to nurse her at night before she goes to sleep?

I really wanted to breastfeed her until she weaned herself, but unfortunately I can't lose weight while breastfeeding and I am tired of being fat!

Thanks so much.
tinyflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #2  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyflame View Post
Good morning,

My daughter is 11 months old and was EBF for 6 months. At that point we started solids and she's continued on those at her own pace. I work full-time, pump twice at work, and nurse on demand when I'm home.

I am planning to start IP in a few weeks when she is a year old. What can I expect as far as breastfeeding goes? I don't want to wean her completely...if I stop pumping at work (gradually of course) and then just nurse 2-3x a day, what will happen? She'll be getting the majority of her calories from regular food, and since we're nursing less there will be a less of a demand for milk. Do you think my milk will dry up all together when I start IP? Or will I be able to nurse her at night before she goes to sleep?

I really wanted to breastfeed her until she weaned herself, but unfortunately I can't lose weight while breastfeeding and I am tired of being fat!

Thanks so much.
You should not do Ideal Protein until you are completely done breastfeeding. The diet does not provide enough calories to support your body AND producing milk. You may want to try a more Weight Watchers-style diet until you both are ready to wean, then start Ideal Protein when she is done.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/148.0/160

Height: 5'11"

IP is not recommended while breastfeeding. There are not enough calories to keep up with the demand that nursing requires, and your milk production would most likely stop. In my opinion, you should wait to start IP until you are ready to completely wean her. In the meantime, you could follow a more moderate plan like weight watchers or even try just cutting back on carbs without limiting calories as much as IP does! Good luck! I remember being anxious to lose the baby weight, but I never look back now and regret ANY of the time I spent nursing...It is so worth it!
gazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #4  
IP start March 8th 2013

S/C/G: 217/206/160

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazelle View Post
IP is not recommended while breastfeeding. There are not enough calories to keep up with the demand that nursing requires, and your milk production would most likely stop. In my opinion, you should wait to start IP until you are ready to completely wean her. In the meantime, you could follow a more moderate plan like weight watchers or even try just cutting back on carbs without limiting calories as much as IP does! Good luck! I remember being anxious to lose the baby weight, but I never look back now and regret ANY of the time I spent nursing...It is so worth it!
Agreed! Understandable that you want the weight off NOW! But, there's a good reason why your body is hanging onto that "baby fat", remember, IP gets rid of stored fat, not fat fat if that makes sense. This time will pass (too quickly) enjoy your baby, produce the best milk that you can and relax. There will be time for diets later. Congrats on the on demand breastfeeding, I did it and never regreted one moment! Now my "baby" is 8, so no more excuses for me!!
newday2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #5  

I know it is not recommended, but I started IP when my daughter was 16 months old and nursing 2-3 times a day. Over the past 2.5 months, she has cut back to once a day. I have to say I haven't felt a lack of calories or nutrition, but I did add in an extra egg on days where she nursed heavily or I felt I needed it. I just made sure to listen to my body. Good luck with your decision!
vanhandk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

I wouldn't do it, it's not recommended and in fact if a coach is letting you do it I'd queston their ethics.

There is not enough nutrition on it, your baby may or may not be getting what it need...however, I believe your baby will take what it needs from YOUR body...so if you aren't eating the nutrition...your baby will just take and your body will be left with less. Will you notice it? Perhaps not but guaranteed if you aren't getting the appropriate nutrition your baby is taking it from your body thru the milk.

Only my opinion.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #7  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel View Post
I wouldn't do it, it's not recommended and in fact if a coach is letting you do it I'd queston their ethics.

There is not enough nutrition on it, your baby may or may not be getting what it need...however, I believe your baby will take what it needs from YOUR body...so if you aren't eating the nutrition...your baby will just take and your body will be left with less. Will you notice it? Perhaps not but guaranteed if you aren't getting the appropriate nutrition your baby is taking it from your body thru the milk.

Only my opinion.
This is absolutely true. We don't notice vitamin/mineral deficiencies necessarily until they are way out of whack. Medically speaking, no doctor would recommend a 900 calorie diet for a breastfeeding mom, not just because it might affect milk production, but also because the mother will be robbed of nutrients and vitamins, which can cause problems down the road.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #8  
IP start March 8th 2013

S/C/G: 217/206/160

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
This is absolutely true. We don't notice vitamin/mineral deficiencies necessarily until they are way out of whack. Medically speaking, no doctor would recommend a 900 calorie diet for a breastfeeding mom, not just because it might affect milk production, but also because the mother will be robbed of nutrients and vitamins, which can cause problems down the road.
Geez, I really hope she listens...worries me how people don't realize what a strict program this is and how it is medically supervised...
newday2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 167/129/125

Height: 5'2"

Lurker here.... I do Metabolic Research Center, but lurk on this board because it's more active and there are a lot of similarities with the plans. MRC has a breastfeeding plan that allows adequate calories. I started it while nursing a 14 months old. Because she isn't nursing exclusively at this age, I found that it was way too much food, so my counselor and I worked out more-than-normal-MRC but less-than-nursing-MRC menu. DD is still nursing at night only and I'm really close to goal. Rate of loss is slower than typical for IP or MRC but it was steady and my doctor approved it.

ETA: don't want to discourage anyone from IP--I've gotten a lot of great advice from this board! But you definitely need to do right by the baby, so MRC might be something to consider.

Last edited by MrsRiker; 04-03-2013 at 09:47 PM.
MrsRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 180/180/130

Height: 5'4"

Thank you so much everyone!

I haven't talked to a coach yet, so I don't want to think anyone is telling me something wrong. This is all me!

I am feeling conflicted about stopping, so perhaps I am not quite as ready for this as I thought I was. Like I said, I am just so tired of being fat.
tinyflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 144/138.0/118

Height: 5'0"

You need to eat in order to breastfeed. I ate over 2,000 calories a day while breastfeeding. I weighed 160 at my highest pregnancy weight and I weighed 154 when my baby was 6 months old due to eating to breastfeed. I made that sacrifice for my baby and you are as well you are doing great!!!!! I had to stop due to meds I had to take for an infection I was pretty upset because I breastfed my other two kids for 18 months. I dont think IP is good while breastfeeding, actually if you look it up its definitelly not recommended. Try weight watchers
LexiChanel1 is offline   Reply With Quote