Old 03-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #31  
Working My Way Healthy

S/C/G: 250/221/125

Height: 5'4"

Smile I do fine through the week,

but on the weekends while staying at my Aunt's while working in a different city during the day I get bored at night. I worked nights for 2+ years and having the nights off and not in my own house where I can kill time watching tv and being on the internet, I get really bored and eat very bad things b/c of boredom. Exercise is out right now while I am having some lung issues. No infection but as soon as I exert myself I start coughing. I take a puffer but its still keeping me from exercise.

I am looking for things to reduce my boredom while I stay at my Aunt's for work on the weekend. Friday nights are not bad but Saturdays and Sundays are really bad. I come home Mondays. I think if my Aunt had internet I would do just fine but without it I get bored. I do read but sometimes I need a break.

I recognize some of the names on here so I am pretty sure I have been on this web site before and on the Canadian thread before. I am really glad I found you all again.
LeanStrongSexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #32  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Quote:
Was it actually 100 pounds???

YES, it was really 100 lbs ... and it had 40 liters, yes 40 liters of fluids inside of it. They couldn't lift it out straight away, so they put me on my side and rolled it out into a large bin, as they unattached it from my colon (which is fine, btw). I was fortunate that it wasn't attached to any of my major organs, but I did have to have a total/complete hysterectomy, as you might well have suspected. It went from just under my stomach/liver right down to my pelvis -- it was indeed "massive" as they said.

I THANK GOD every day for that brave doctor (DR. MAZURKA) and his medical team from the Juravinski Cancer Center in Hamilton, Ontario. They did a terrific job and I received excellent care by ALL the staff that looked after me as I recovered there (from all the nurses/orderly staff who were very kind and caring; plus the pain managers & doctors/teams; and the cleaning & kitchen staff too). I will be forever grateful for them all ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-21-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #33  
Working My Way Healthy

Rosebud, I am so glad surgery went well and you are doing better. If the tumor was 100lbs and had 40 ltrs how much weight in total did you lose having it removed. Do you have a before surgery weight and an after surgery weight?
Old 03-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #34  
Working My Way Healthy

I did great on the weekend. When ever I got bored I ate light hummus and celery. I also went to bed early. Back home now, cooking a prime rib, they are on sale everywhere. Will be getting out and about tomorrow with my Dane Shadow. Going to try a little cardio and see if I can get through it without having coughing fits. My lungs have been wheezing for a few weeks now.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:29 AM   #35  
Rosebud

Yes, they did weigh me before and I was weighed afterwards. I was about 260 lbs just before and 160 afterwards; now I am higher as they wanted me to eat more to gain as I was emaciated and weak. I look much better right now, although they said that a lot of what I gained was water weight.

I really hope I don't gain anymore and that will be the hardest part -- to find out how much I can eat now that the tumor is out, as the tumor was using up a lot of my calories each day. Now, I am trying not to munch so much, which has always been an issue for me.

Plus, they just want me to do walking for now until I am done the chemo as that is very hard on the body too. Then I will add in some more toning exercise like hand-weights, rowing, and biking, if I can do all that. We'll see. They don't want me to do the physio just yet either for the same reason.

NOTE: the tumor was full of liquid, so the 40 liters of fluids were inside the tumor. It burst when they were removing it. They couldn't lift the tumor out straight away, as it was too heavy, so they put me on my side and rolled it out. Then it ruptured into a very large rectangular bin, which they weighed also. They also had to separate it from my colon -- which is OK thankfully, there was no damage to it.

My Aunt's niece just had a cyst removed that also burst as they were removing it; just her's was smaller than mine, but similar in situation as her biopsy also showed signs of cancer cells so she has to have chemo too. These tumors are like large sacs that seem to be filled with some kind of bodily fluids.

You don't lose everything becuz you still have stretched out muscles and skin afterwards, although mine is doing well to re-shape itself at this time. My muscles have formed a small belly that looks like a small baby bump that goes up and down when I laugh or use my tummy muscles. But hey, if that's all I have to live with for now -- I won't complain one bit, although it would have been nice to have the skin removed. They couldn't do it at the time, as the other double surgery was hard enuff on my body as it was.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 04-06-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #36  
Working My Way Healthy

Wow Rosebud, I am late coming to the info of your surgery. I would like to know what led them to finding it?
Old 04-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #37  
Rosebud

Well, I went to my new doctor to ask him to see if there weren't any tests that could tell the difference between fat and something else, like a tumor. I had always suspected that something was wrong and had asked a previous doctor about that many years earlier -- at that time, he said that it was just fat and that I just needed to lose some weight.

Now, go forward 25+ years and I am losing weight while eating a normal amount of food, doing light exercise (mostly walking EOD); but my stomach seems to be getting bigger every year. I started to have other health problems, which were indeed caused by the tumor -- legs & feet swelling, skin discoloration, circulation problems, numbness & tingling, reproductive problems (miscarriages), high white blood cell count, low iron, nausea, dizziness, and continuing incontinence problems, etc.

So, I walk into the office and the first thing my doctor says is, "Oh my, you have lost a lot of weight; and your face and arms are so skinny. I am concerned that something has been missed -- would you mind if I run some tests?" I laughed and said "Not at all -- that's exactly why I am here. I came to ask if you could help me find out if this belly is really only fat or something else."

And, he took it from there, ordering many tests right away -- starting with the very next day. Interestingly, everyone I talked to (the workers that did the tests) felt there was a massive growth there. Obviously, it was destiny and answered prayers -- becuz I saw all the right people, at the right time to find this tumor. THANK YOU, GOD!!!

They found it in less than a week, which is shocking when you think about it. It was there for over 25 years but they didn't look for anything. If you don't look for something, you won't find it. Before that, they were blinded by their predjudice -- oh, just another fat person with a very fat belly.

However, once my body started losing weight and looked horribly sick, my new doctor decided to do something. I am sure he was hoping he was wrong, but I already knew he would find it. He said that later -- "you almost seemed to expect that." And I said that I had suspected it for many, many years but just didn't want to argue with every doctor I met that it wasn't just fat. My doctor apologized for the other doctors and the system that allows this to happen to too many people.

I have since met and heard from other people who have gone through the same thing as me. In my last chemo room, there were four of us who had been sick for some time and it was missed. Three of us had tumors that were missed!!! The doctors have to be more aggressive in this area, esp since the population is heavier and aging. They cannot continue to assume that everyone with a belly is just fat. Sadly, many of them have tumors that need to be removed sooner rather than later.

Now, that's not including the adjacent chemo room that had 12+ more patients getting chemo that day. I never had a chance to talk to them, but I do know that one man there, who is a friend of my BIL, also had tumors in his lungs. How long he had them is anybody's guess.

I think EARLY DETECTION is key for the best treatments & survival, so this is an area that needs to be improved upon for the sake of the patients and their families. And, for all the Conservatives out there -- think about the costs to the healthcare system that could be saved as well (short and long-term).

I think that certain cancers should be tested for at certain ages for everyone -- i.e. prostrate for any man 40+; colon cancer for everyone 45-50 years old (or earlier if there are symptoms/family history); and for other types of cancer like cervical/ovarian, even earlier depending on sex, symptoms, family history, and life-style experiences, etc.

I'd like to see general yearly check-ups for everyone; doing screening for probable health issues according to age and family history. I think more things could be nipped in the bud, so2speak.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 04-06-2013 at 01:02 PM.