Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #1  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Arrow I See Summer Ahead(cause my piles of stuff are smaller)Beck DECLUTTERS:Mar 21-Jun 21

OK Beck Declutters Olde and New.

Welcome to the Spring Decluttering thread, traditional time for spring cleaning and getting the house/office/car/trailer whatever you may be concerned about space in shape so you can relax and enjoy the good weather ahead.

As with all things Beck related, we follow and apply the principles of the Beck Diet Solution to this task. Specifically 1) make a plan 2) write it down 3) develop strategies to conquer your clutter daily 4) apply your strategies and keep applying them even when you mess up--you just simply pick up (literally sometimes!) and go forward.

Let's hear about your big goals for your clutter and how you will strategically get to them. What are your reasons for focusing on this particular goal? What are the advantages to seeing the job through?

Post away.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #2  
helpingrachel

Thinking and pondering what is going on my list. Thanks for starting this thread.

May the next step of our journey be full of support, positive habits and accomplished goals. Looking forward to it.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #3  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Greetings,

Onebyone thank you for the new thread. I look forward to our many successes
How is your Island adventure. May it energize you. I was scared for you, I can't imagine how it would feel to ration out food. I have decided to try this as an experiment. Thank you.

Rachel - I find that when I read posts here or on the other thread it causes me to do some deep thinking. I have learned so much about myself since I have been doing Beck. The thought of summer coming soon is so exciting to me.

Debbie, How was your day. I hope you find time for yourself in your busy day.

Waving hello to everyone else and have an amazing day. May all your successes be pleasing to each of you.

Take Care
Ann
Old 03-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #4  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Greetings! Happy to continue with progress forward! Thanks, onebyone, for starting our Spring thread.

Several folks have asked what decluttering/etc. has to do with Beck Diet Solution. I thought I'd post a quote from Dr. Beck's book, The Complete Beck Diet For Life.

''OVER TIME, YOU WILL PROBABLY FIND THAT YOU AUTOMATICALLY START USING SOME SUCCESS SKILLS IN OTHER AREAS OF YOUR LIFE. For example, many dieters have told me that for the first time they found that they were also able to overcome such challenges as smoking, overspending, and procrastinating. They were able to manage their time better and to

organize their households and work lives.

They learned how to set goals and steadily work toward them
." (P. 204)

There are many other books which address in depth the relationship between clutter and being overweight. P. Walsh has written numerous books about clutter, my favorite being, "Does This Clutter make my Butt Look Fat?"

I found Beck Diet Solution here at 3FC after I started reading a declutter thread here several years ago. BDS is helping me change my relationship/habits with food and I am learning how to apply those skills to my home life. The daily routines I've developed at home have really helped me to find more time for dieting and the new level of comfort I've found at home is really "Enriching My Life" a day at a time.

Well declutterers, I have a giant project coming on. A few of you will remember that I started decluttering in two small houses (my Grandmother's) that had been used as glorified family storage sheds for 35+years. It took me years to go through stuff and there is STILL STUFF THERE! This was the primary motivation for me to get "my own house in order", not wanting anyone else to ever have to have the burden of going through my "stuff".

Starting May 8, my friends, a husband/wife renovation team are going to come and assist my DH and I in a renovation which would make one of these small houses rentable. It is a pretty detailed project since the house has been vacant for 35 years....has an unfinished bathroom, broken pipes, etc, etc. It also has alot of "emotional baggage" attached.

I need to start the final push of decluttering...basically moving everything out, even if temporary.
I've been thinking about things.
1. It's important for me to keep my own home environment current while I do this.
2. I acknowledge I don't have the time or energy for this on days I go to my real job.
3. I acknowledge I need to start decluttering on a regular schedule on my days off.

First, I do have a vacation week coming up...March 27-April 1.

So, today I continue my 1-2-3 daily dance. I will continue on a daily basis
1. old clutter-put several more items in my thrift box
2. current clutter-picked up/packed up (we travel today)
3. clean something-cleaned my toilet, cleaned kitchen counters and sinks, washed couch blankets (for the pup)

I look forward to this new season!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 03-22-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #5  
helpingrachel

Hi All,

Being connected has helped me grow into the person that I want to be. I do appreciate the opportunity to share what isn't working, what I want to start doing and the support to do it.

Ann, Hope your deep thinking has been helpful for you. I know that I have challenged what I can and can't do with my thinking. We need each other to help us grow toward what we value.

OnebyOne: Hope your week has brought many new blessings into your life. Hope Looloo is improving.

Debbie: Hope all is well with you as I think you are "over the hill" right now. Hope you are enjoying the pool and the rewards of being at your 2nd home.

Yesterday, my sons came home from college. I made beef brisket, twice baked potatoes and homemade peanut butter cheesecake with a chocolate ganache. I did NOT have a piece. My DS's girlfriend is coming in town to see Lion King. They are meeting her parents at her brothers house. I shared this because the cheesecake it going with them so they have a dessert for after the production. Yay, me for avoiding the sugar and having a plan.

Looks like I used the word Hope a few times in this post. Here is one of my favorite quotes.

Hope is like the sun, which, as we journey toward it, casts the shadow of our burden behind us. --samuel smiles.

Last edited by helping rachel; 03-22-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #6  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hello

I got a call at 330 this morning. My coworker's son was missing and she'd been out looking for him. Gratefully, she found him (in a ditch)..it's about a mother's love that he will live another day.

So, my day off went away and I am happy to fill in....

I found myself automatically reevaluating everything I had hoped to accomplish today AND found myself kicking into gear and getting my "current clutter" picked up and accomplished cleaning dishes and the kitchen sink.

My feeling was gratitude today...for my coworker, for her son and for my commitment to keep forging ahead in my own home. It was all doable today because I make the choice to "keep up" with things one day at a time.

Take care everyone!
Old 03-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #7  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Arrow 3 month plan executed day by day

Hello Dedicated Declutterers

It was at the tail end of Spring last year that I started seriously looking at the state of my home. Our landlord comes in to turn the air conditioning on and he takes a good long look at the state of our affairs. This year when he comes in, I want him to see... an orderly space. Not perfect, not perfectly clean, but, yet again, I use this dreaded word from my childhood "normal". I want it to look within the spectrum of what our culture deems "normal". That's about keeping him off our backs. For me, cause if there was nothing in it for me I would not keep trying, it's about creating a nice place to live. Yesterday I realized that all my stuff pulls me away from my artistic headspace. I could feel the momentum from my residency dwindling as the stuff/boxes/clutter/general disorder took my mind away from my artwork plans and I felt like I was drowning in my stuff-I-still-have-to-do thoughts. I have never seen it so clearly spelled out for me how very very important this is for me to do now. I can't FOCUS with all this unfinished business so I have to make a plan and keep at it.

Will make that detailed plan today and post it back here today.

Bye for now!

Last edited by onebyone; 03-24-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:02 AM   #8  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi!

I dealt with a bit of insomnia last night and finally got up and got a few things done. I DO need to remember that if I don't keep maintaining my losses that I can very easily end up back where I started.

Current clutter-picked up

Old clutter-stack of mail gone through and bills paid

Clean-washed the cat (lol) and our comforter from our bed
Old 03-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #9  
helpingrachel

Hi all!

Old clutter: box of junk mail and filing to go in file cabinet- 30 minutes
New clutter: Picked up first floor after boys left for college.
Clean: Master Bedroom-bath 30minutes including shower.

Light snow on ground, ready for warmer weather.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #10  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi

I'm bordering late to work. I will report, however, that despite a whirlwind of events I took time to clean up in the kitchen and office, make the bed, put away my laundry AND still take 5 minutes to lift handweights in my office. credit.

I hope you find some small moments today for progress forward.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #11  
helpingrachel

Busy Day! Completed all laundry, cleaned Bedroom completely and all ready to get painted. An old retired friend called and said he would paint it for me. Gave me an extra spring in my step. Working all day tomorrow. Will do a complete run thru before bedtime to clean counters and all clothes upstairs.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #12  
helpingrachel

Up early, quick vacuum thru 1st floor, woke up to clean kitchen. Off to work, will continue when I get home.

Have a great day ladies!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #13  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi!

Tami, nice you found some painting help. I have joined you in daily tasks just couldn't find time to post. We traveled...bad roads and it's nice here. I'm going to set the timer for 20 min then go for a bike ride. My goal will be to get unpacked and put away...including the groceries we just brought in. I'll complete a small cleaning project before dinner.

I was once again amazed at how simple it's getting to get packed and ready to go. It is very freeing.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #14  
helpingrachel

Debbie: Glad you made it there safe and sound. A bike ride sounds lovely!

Off to Natural Grocers that just opened up in my area. Changing up my eating pattern.

Clean: Both refrigerators, inventory freezers to see what is there.
Cutter: 1/2 hour in my office. File boxes
New: clean Foyer and dining room. Set timer as that always gives me a sense of accomplishment and a start/finish.

Take care all!
New:
Old 03-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #15  
helpingrachel

Good Morning.

I am walking thru the house with an empty notebook to see what really needs to get done before summer. I will have an overview to break down what to be repaired or cleaned. We have these vents in the attic that leaked onto 2 ceilings. So that needs to be repaired. Exciting I know!

Off to work, made breakfast and lunch for DD.

Dishwasher running, kitchen cleaned.

new clutter, kitchen table junk mail.

old clutter-not going there as it will be 66 degrees and I want to be outside!!

Last edited by helping rachel; 03-29-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Closed Thread