PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:50 PM   #1  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Default 2013 April PCOS Support Thread

Round up for April!
  • Who is here this month?
  • How are you?
  • How was last month?
  • How is your PCOS management last month?
  • What are you going to work on in april?

(The old thread is here. )

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 04-30-2013 at 09:18 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Who is here this month?

I am. Although, I'm doing a lot of lurking.

How are you?

Blah. I'm not happy where I am with my weight loss (or rather, weight gain) and I am having a hard time focusing on this.

I know I have a lot on my plate, but it's usually not a problem. It's become a problem now because it's all a mess.

How was last month?

Again, 'eh' in terms of weight loss. But otherwise, it was fine!

How is your PCOS management last month?

Good. I'm still taking supplements and doing exercise and eating well. But I'm still gaining weight because I'm eating too much and I'm disorganized.

What are you going to work on in April?

I don't know. I begin my period of a lot of travel and notoriously, I gain weight at this time of year until my travel dies down and I go back to eating well.

Since I've already gained weight, I don't know that I can afford to gain more. My clothes won't fit!

I am scared and frustrated and annoyed.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I figure I should jump back in
Who is here this month?
Me! It has been quite a while since I've checked in here, I figure I should.

How are you?
Good, I've figured I've let other things pull me down for way too long. I actually feel like I'm getting back on track and I'm excited for warmer months, more exercise and desires to eat lighter foods.

How was last month?
End of last month was great, start of last month not so great.

Good. I'm on about month 5 of a new BC pill and although it has driven my periods wacky, I think I like it. First couple months on it though sucked.

What are you going to work on in March?
Continue eating well, increasing exercise, getting outside more often and taking care of me.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #4  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

•Who is here this month?

I'm here!

•How are you?

Okie dokey...a bit tired and a bit hungry...started a new diet meal plan (day 4).

•How was last month?

Restrictive. No sugary drinks. Smaller food portions.
But, I've been motivated.

Started C25K. I'm on week 2 now.

•How is your PCOS management last month?

Scale actually moved a wee bit this past week. I can't believe how long it took!
Facial hair still an issue...

•What are you going to work on in March?

Following the Lose It! section of the Mayo Clinic Diabetes Diet.
Also, I am doing the Beck Diet Solution Workbook for motivation.

C25K---so, walk/jog 3 days a week.
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:08 AM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Crimson -- sounds like you have an April plan!

Rana -- I see that you are frustrated and scared. Hang in there. BREATHE. One thing at a time, right?

Nelie -- long time no see! Welcome back!

Vegiedawg -- how are you liking the couch to 5k?

MY CHECKIN IN:

Mind -- great. New books to read, new challenges to tackle.

Heart -- in love. What can I say?

Soul -- very peaceful. Still dealing with eldercare wackies but I feel like I'm more at peace within so taking the next thing that comes along is somehow easier to take.

Body -- BLOATED. Ugh. Mid cycle gaggy maybe too. Not sure. Allergy ****. Made a walk at the park not happen. All this pollen it out to kill me. I have to focus on INDOOR exercise tomorrow because outside is just not a good place to be. I promise to report an indoor workout to you guys and myself, ok?

Food log was good though. I had a birthday thing today and took friend to lunch. So that kinda made a bump in my food plan but I added up and I'm still at -230 calories for the day so go me! Adapting and adjusting to that and not letting it go into crazy town.

Baby steps....

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 04-02-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'0

Who is here this month?

I am. I am new to the site so having a good time looking around at everything!

How are you?

I am doing well! Excited to finally be back to losing the weight.

How was last month?

Not such a great month for me. Gained back some of the 10 pounds that I took off!

Not so great. I need to remember to be taking my meds and to be eating the right foods.

What are you going to work on in April?

Making sure that I track what I am eating, actually eat what I have planned, exercise.
SaraJP0804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Hi Ladies!

I think I've come to a realization (as my weight crept up/creeping up and haven't lost it) that whatever was working for me before, is no longer working.

Now, this "working for me" could be mental. I could just be tired of the restriction. It would also be physical, because who the **** knows what's going on with PCOS/IR and the body.

Thus, the realization is really that IF what I used to do no longer works, then I have to find something else that does. I don't know what that is.

But I guess that's what I have to work on for April.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 218/190.4/155

Height: 5'7"

Hello all -

My check-in:

Body - feeling hopeful that I am 209. I had been between 204-208 for several years, and jumped to 218 in Dec/Jan (maybe because I was put on a new birth control pill - to try to treat menstrual migraines, or maybe just because of holiday eating and out-of-routine). So happy to be back to "almost" normal. Have switched over to much lower carb diet - not like ketosis or anything - but emphasizing protein over carbs, so eating lots of things like Greek yogurt, beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, fish, etc and it's been good not just for weight loss but has really diminished my appetite.

MIND: Dietary change described above has kept my energy more steady as well as mood. (I can be a bit moody and anxious and work actively through prayer, journaling, meditation, supportive friends to stay in a positive space) Very encouraged about this.

HEART: I echo astrophe - in love. A great way to be.

I saw a gynocologist last week (first time seeing this one) who put me a new, lower-estrogen BCP to try to prevent menstrual migraines. I am very happy that so far haven't had any migraines, or any other side effects from the switch. It feels good to be taking positive steps towards proactively creating good health - both with weight, eating/exercise, and migraine prevention.

Goals for this month - I am hesitant to make a weight loss goal since it sometimes seems my efforts and the outcome aren't terribly related: I can do everything "right" and not lose, and sometimes make some dietary slip-ups and not have the scale show it. That said, I am going to visit family in Midwest in mid-May and would love to be closer to onederland than I am now for that visit. I am going to continue with my lower carb diet and shoot for 4 exercise sessions a week - I've already gotten in two this week, so am on track so far.

Thanks for letting me join you all!
SuperCecilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 180/215/145

Height: 5'5

Hello Ladies I am new to the forum and hoping to find support and educate myself on PCOS. I just recently found out I have this and I'm freaked out. I have been trying to lose weight forever. I just thought it was suborn baby fat but now I know its not.

I am interested in finding out what kind of vitamins everyone takes, a good diet and exercise plan. My doctor told me to jump online and educate myself on PCOS.

Like my username on here exhausted mom and that's what I am. I have no energy and fall asleep on my feet. That is why I am begging for help to know what is going to help me jump start my days and my exercising.

I hoping by the time summer comes I have lost a few points but see improvement in my energy and my period.
exhaustedmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #10  
Starting over

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhaustedmom View Post
I am interested in finding out what kind of vitamins everyone takes, a good diet and exercise plan. My doctor told me to jump online and educate myself on PCOS.
Hi ExhaustedMom! (geez, I'm an exhausted Mom too, just starting my weighloss journey)

I just started taking D3, about 2000 U.I./day.

Low carb seems to be the most popular diet for PCOS.
I'm just starting to see some weight loss from dropping to 3 servings of whole grains per day. A serving is half a bagel, half a small pita or 1/3 of a cup of brown rice. It's been tough...not so much the hunger, but my brain fog and irritablility come afternoon. Hopefully, I'll feel more 'even' soon!

For exercise, a lot of us on the boards are doing the C25K. It's a jogging program that starts small and gets you jogging for 30minutes by the end.

Another good PCOS site is Soulcysters .com

Good luck & Welcome!
Old 04-07-2013, 12:55 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 180/177/125

Height: 5"5

1. I definitely am! This is my first time posting in this thread, especially since I got a diagnosis for Anovulation and high Testosterone levels, but that's basically what I got from the tests from a Reproductive Endocrinologist a few years ago.
2. I haven't felt the best. I am trying to lose weight, but it's hard to do that and keep my emotional health in check at the same time.
3. Still an abnormal cycle. Definitely some mood problems as well.
4. I haven't really started besides exercising which started last week. It's pretty much been on and off.
5. I am going to work on eating less Carbohydrates and seeing how that affects my moods and cycles, especially since I am tapering off my antidepressant as well.
Alicia546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:25 AM   #12  
IR/PCOS

S/C/G: 187lbs/ticker/143

Height: 5' 6.5

I am!

I'm another first time poster in this thread. I was diagnosed with IR and PCOS 3 years ago (when I was 19) and that year managed to lose 15kg. Then a plateaued.

Last September I had horrible cyst-like acne on my neck. My GP put me on Yasmin and oh man, was that a mistake! After giving it 3 months, I stopped taking ir. Not only did I gain a devastating 7kg, but I was constantly nauseous (the type where a full stomach is the only source of relief), bouts of depression and anxiety.

Four months on form stopping Yasmin, and I am still dealing with depression and anxiety (it spikes when I get a period, which has only just started to return). I can't shift any weight regardless of the fact I am working out 4-6 times a week and counting calories (most of the time).

I had a particularly difficult week this week, so I went back to my GP to do some blood work. Turns out that since my blood test three years ago, I have actually brought my hormone levels back into the healthy range. Since I have no cysts on my ovaries, she said that my PCOS diagnosis may still not stand (I didn't think this was possible...?).

But of course, I am still IR (have a STRONG family history of it. Everyone on my mum's side is fit and healthy but all have type II diagnosis by the age of 55).

In order to kick start my weight loss (hoping to lose between 10-15kg) I am focusing on upping my protein and lowering my carbs and sugar. So far it has proven difficult as I am mind numbingly hungry (physical and mind hunger) and have a funny stomach.

How do you guys deal with weight loss? I can see that many on this thread do low carb. Can I ask a dumb question? What do you mean by low carb? No bread/pasta/rice etc, or do you limit your intake?

I am really struggling to lose weight. Previously I started exercising (went from nothing to C25K and have never stopped) and went low calorie. Now, I just can't seem to stick with limiting my intake. I do well for one day and then the next day it's all gone.

If I compare my measurements from the last time I was at this weight, I've actually only gained a few cm's (my hips and thighs are actually smaller by more than a cm, but feel huge!) but am still 7kg heavier.

Thanks for the ear, and good luck to you all!
Meeel4121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #13  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Hope you guys had a great weekend! Let me catch up and then check in myself...

SaraJP0804: Welcome! I use pillbox Alert on my cel phone to bug me to take meds. Could that help?

Rana: Could you be burnt out on "chronic patient-ness?" I get tired of having to be so vigilant sometimes. Then I lapse tracking things and well... it leads to nowhere.
It stinks. I don't know what to tell you other than I've worn those shoes, and I can see where it is frustrating for you. Hang in there!

SuperCecilia: Sounds like you are in a good space! Awesome!

exhaustedmom: Welcome!

I take a rainbow light prenatal for the extra iron. (not because I am TTC)
I also take a GNC cal-mag-d3
I take Barleans Essential Woman (flax) and alternate with Barleans Ultra EPA-DHEA Fish oil.

I take Levoxul for my hypothyroid.

NOT taking Metformin XR right now because I was before and it gave me blood sugar wiggies. I am trying to change to a different endoc. I know Met can lower testosterone and help IR, but if my blood sugar is fine via diet, it puts me too low and it might be time to look at spirolactone instead.

Veggiedawg: How goes?

Alicia546: Welcome!

Meeel4121: 40% carb 30% protein 30% fat is low enough carb proportions to me. Lower and I get headaches. 1800 calories with no exercise, 2000 with exercise is my calorie level right now. Lower and I get headaches. I want to lose in a good healing pace way. Not in a way that makes me nuts.
Right now I went to BistroMD 5 days no snacks every other week and cook the rest of the time. Then I know I have food back up handy in a pinch that will be on track. I never know if my phone will ring with some eldercare prob and then the first thing to fly out the window is my own food needs.

MY CHECK IN:

More active this week but not always remembering my pedometer. Anyone got good apps for tracking fitness?

I am excited about today's workout -- going to try a bellydance class! Always wanted to so here I go!

The rest of things are going ok. I note that my sodium is crazy in my food log so I have to get that cranked down.

A.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #14  
Starting over

Hey Astrophe,
Bellydancing sounds fun. Do you get dressed up for it?
Is it an one time thing or will you be going weekly?

I don't use a pedometer, but I recently read the book 'The Wildwater Walking Club" which made be want to try one.

Meeel421 and Alicia546- Hi Ya!! When I stopped using sugar in my tea and coffee and started only drinking milk and water, I really noticed that my cravings slowed down. A month later, I've started this diet that only gives me 3 servings of whole grain carbs per day and I'm doing ok. I wasn't sure I'd be able to handle it, in the past I've had issues with being shakey if I didn't eat...now I just get b*&chy!

As for me...I wasn't good to myself by jogging on pavement and now I have a sore knee. Waaah! I took yesterday off and went out this morning.
I really don't feel hurt when jogging but after, I sure do. Lesson learned.

I've been doing well sticking to my diet. I hope it shows on the scale this week!

Have a great day ladies!
Old 04-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #15  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

I called the teacher and she said to wear something like "tank top, yoga pants, we do it barefoot, bring water bottle, it gets hot and scarf to tie around hips optional but not crucial."

To help make you aware of what your hips are doing I guess? This is my first class ever so I am clueless.
Dressing up would be more for recitals and peformances though. Even from my sister's ballet growing up I know that much. Dress to practice normal, fancy dress for performances.

I'm excited! (But secretly nervous too.)

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 04-08-2013 at 03:02 PM.