Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #1  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Default Getting out of the 280's and 270's (New!)

I'll start this new one off I guess

Sometimes I feel like this whole weight loss thing is too easy. I feel like I should be struggling more than I am. I talk with some other friends who are also trying to lose and they are constantly telling me how hard it is for them to eat right, or to get motivated to go to the gym. I either feel like I must be doing something wrong that this isn't harder (pretty sure not though, since I am ~25 lbs down) or I feel like tell them all to suck it up, it's not that hard. I don't say that though, I try to offer suggestions of what is working for me, and try to be as encouraging as I can.

It really is so very different for each person.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #2  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
I'll start this new one off I guess

Sometimes I feel like this whole weight loss thing is too easy. I feel like I should be struggling more than I am. I talk with some other friends who are also trying to lose and they are constantly telling me how hard it is for them to eat right, or to get motivated to go to the gym. I either feel like I must be doing something wrong that this isn't harder (pretty sure not though, since I am ~25 lbs down) or I feel like tell them all to suck it up, it's not that hard. I don't say that though, I try to offer suggestions of what is working for me, and try to be as encouraging as I can.

It really is so very different for each person.
I know what you mean Silverfire. In the past it has been very hard for me to lose because of lack of will power, motivation, etc. For whatever reason, this time it has been different. I still marvel at how I have been able to stay on plan for as long as I have, and I pray that it continues. I realize, however, that I've only been doing this for 8 months, and I have to do it for the rest of my life (albeit when in maintenance I can add more things back into my diet). So, I've never thought about losing weight in terms of it being "easy", but rather, that I have been able to muster the strength to do something very difficult that I have failed to be able to do before.

This past week I stayed the same weight as last week. What irks me is that Sunday night I came down with a stomach flu and hardly ate anything on Monday. Yet this morning my weight was pretty much the same! The last time I had a stomach flu I lost several pounds! So, at least there was a sliver lining to it. This time -- not so much!
Old 04-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefla70 View Post
I know what you mean Silverfire. In the past it has been very hard for me to lose because of lack of will power, motivation, etc. For whatever reason, this time it has been different. I still marvel at how I have been able to stay on plan for as long as I have, and I pray that it continues. I realize, however, that I've only been doing this for 8 months, and I have to do it for the rest of my life (albeit when in maintenance I can add more things back into my diet). So, I've never thought about losing weight in terms of it being "easy", but rather, that I have been able to muster the strength to do something very difficult that I have failed to be able to do before.

This past week I stayed the same weight as last week. What irks me is that Sunday night I came down with a stomach flu and hardly ate anything on Monday. Yet this morning my weight was pretty much the same! The last time I had a stomach flu I lost several pounds! So, at least there was a sliver lining to it. This time -- not so much!

Must just be that particular mindset, you have to be in the right headspace perhaps. I guess it was similar to when I tried and failed at quitting smoking those times... Then the last time, it was just F*ck it, I'm done. And I was, that was it. It's been a few years now. I have never really truly tried to lose weight before, I always just assumed it was impossible and I couldn't do it....

I saw a quote that sort of sums it up for me. "If you are not passionate about what you are doing, you will not succeed" or something along those lines. I feel dedicated and motivated and am constantly wanting to learn and do more. 80% of my internet time is spent here, learning what other people are doing, or what not to do. Or else I am googling other aspects of weight loss, exercise, healthy eating.

Sucks that you had the flu and didn't get that, somewhat expected, drop in lbs, what a waste of a stomach bug
Old 04-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #4  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

Silverfire, that totally makes sense. I'm glad you decided to give it a go and see if it's possible! And congrats on quitting smoking -- AMAZING!!

I was sick yesterday and I couldn't really eat, so the scale dropped a few lbs. Yay. I secretly hope it keeps going down from there. 282.7...

Thanks for the welcome!

Last edited by belovedspirit; 04-02-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:21 AM   #5  
:)

S/C/G: 330/

Height: 5'5"

I think our mindset has allot to do with losing weight because I also have tried to lose so many times and only got tired of it and quit and gained it back. I dont know for sure, but this time feels real to me. Today I hardly thought about what I was going to eat at all. Not like when I first started. I was constantly thinking about food and when I was going to eat again. So this time I feel good about it, I make a mental note each day to make it a good day and that's it. The rest will happen.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #6  
Rachel

S/C/G: 295ish/278.4/145

Silverfire, I've had similar feelings lately. I know I've been eating VERY differently lately (as well as a lot less) and I'm working out fairly consistently, but it still doesn't seem like I'm working that hard to lose like I am. And a family member keeps complaining about how hard it is for her & I'm like, it's really not that hard.

I absolutely agree with y'all about it being all about mindset. This is the first time I have ever been able to see myself actually achieving my goals & sticking to my healthy lifestyle for the long term.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #7  

I guess it is pretty easy to sabotage yourself, if you aren't really ready to make a change. If your brain isn't totally on board, your body won't be either I think.

I have always thought about losing weight, wishing I was thinner, wanting to wake up skinny and would fantasize about it constantly, but had I taken all that brain energy and moved it towards thinking about what I could DO to get healthy and thinner instead of just wishing for it, I can only imagine how much father along I would be now lol!

All these good changes are starting to become second nature (and that is the whole plan really) I get up and go to the gym in the mornings. I just do it. Then I go after work. I automatically just drive there after work, not even thinking about it. I pack my lunch as I am making dinner, now I always chop up extra veggies when I am making dinner salad so I have some for lunch the next day.

Feels so good to have a routine that is pretty easy to stick to. I am thankful that I don't have a busy life, I work one job, have a boyfriend and a cat, who are both pretty low maintenance I have the luxury of having plenty of time to myself. I know most people don't have that much time and it blows my mind the things that busy people are able to juggle and accomplish!!

Beloved - I hope it sticks and you can just go down from there

I am down to 272 today, I am all over the scale this week it seems. Hoping things continue in a downward trend!!
Old 04-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #8  
:)

S/C/G: 330/

Hey Ladies.. another great OP day for me. I hope I see a great loss on Monday. I reallly want to go lose a little faster than my last challenge. I only lost 2.8% the last 6 weeks. Little more please..lol.. I hope everyone is having a great week so far. I feel good, my knee is feeling a little better. I think I might try some water aerobics tomorrow morning see how that feels. Then work again.. We can do this guys!!
Old 04-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #9  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Hello all..... We sure did need a new thread

I have to agree with mindset and dieting. It seems like (in the past) when I would go great guns about losing weight and writing goals down wayyyyy ahead of time and really dwelled on the dieting (food I needed to eat) that I would make it maybe 3 days maybe a week. This time and 5 years ago when I lost 65 lbs (because I was flying to Puerto Rico for a cruise for my 50th birthday and did not want to pay for 2 seats and maybe find a romance (NOT) ) I just started eating the correct way with what I could find in the fridge etc. Did not go shopping,,, just started with what I have. Now I live alone and have frozen Pizzas, icecream, ff, breaded meat, BREAD etc in my fridge.... but I do not even want it. Its like my mind (sub conscience) has just taken over my body and thoughts and I am on auto pilot. I still open the fridge and look for answers... but I don't even look at the off plan food. Not at all. It is funny but I love not having to do the Mind Work and the negotiating of the all powerful EGO. I think my EGO has realized that it wants to inhabit a healthier body and is cooperating... OH GOSH I hope I did not just wake it up..... Where's the ice cream????? LOL

Anyway... I think we all use what we can to be strong. Some have children that they need to be healthy for, possibility of children, a significant other, a job or just competition with a friend. We use what we use and hopefully it does become Automatic and easy.

Thank you tho for being there when my EGO wakes up and whispers to me... YOU all are wonderful to listen too, read and learn from.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 315/210/160

Height: 5'8"

I would like to join in. I'm at 276 right now. I just started this whole diet thing on Monday. I'm not really doing anything special yet, just giving up soda. It'll save me 800-1000 calories a day. My H is doing the same thing. I feel optimistic about dieting this time and I think with the support of my husband and on here that I can do it.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #11  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Moreta....Welcome and YOU (both) CAN do it! As they say.. don't think just do
Old 04-04-2013, 12:43 AM   #12  

Welcome Moreta!

Thanks Silverfire. I hope so too! It sounds like you have your routines down pat. How awesome.

Congrats Sassyangies! One day at a time adds up!

I'll see how it goes... I didn't weigh myself this morning. My food intake has been a little odd lately, making it hard for me to tell whether I'm eating just enough or more than that. My plan is to be more consistent tomorrow and the day after and so on, and hopefully that 282.5 will continue into the 270s. *fingers-crossed*
Old 04-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #13  

How is everyone doing today?

I weighed myself this morning. The scale rose by 3 lbs sometime in the last 2 days. I guess that is bound to happen. My follow through plan is more consistent, nutritious eating, exercise when I can, and being in this for the long haul.

Last edited by belovedspirit; 04-04-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #14  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

I guess I had better be careful what I wish for! The other day I lamented on how I had the stomach flu - but didn't show an accompanying loss of weight on the scale. I realize that any loss of weight would mostly be temporary anyway because it would be the result of (1) a loss of fluids and (2) not eating much. Nevertheless, it was frustrating seeing the number on the scale stay the same given all of that.

Well, fast forward to last night. After thinking that my stomach flu was just a 24 hour variety bug because I was symptom-free yesterday, the bug came back last night -- with a vengeance! But this time it knocked a couple extra pounds off when I weighed myself this morning because for the first time I am in the 270s (279). (If there was an emoticon for a half-hearted, semi-sarcastic cheer, I would insert it here.] I am leery of the eventual bounce-back on the scale, so I am not even bothering to change my weight in my profile or signature. But it was nice to see a preview of the 270s -- even if I had to endure a stomach flu to see it.

Last edited by joefla70; 04-04-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #15  

Scale said 271.0 today.

That was pretty incredible considering I hate two small pizza's to myself last night and was so full (of gas I think) that I, no word of a lie, was convinced I was having a heart attack. I freaked out. I didn't know what to do, I didn't want to go to the hospital claiming to be having a heart attack when really it was a big fart stuck up in my colon or something. That would be too embarrassing!! I drove to the store last night to get some gas releaser stuff. I am 98% better this morning, but the area under my left rib cage is still tender... It was a horrible night. I skipped the gym and work today. I am just going to take it easy for the day.
Closed Thread