Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

Default Ugh, just what I need...

Biopsy results confirmed: thyroid cancer. Scary to even write it.

I have read that cure rate is very high but it's cancer! I feel so sad, shocked and alone. No support system, with no immediate family, no significant other, and not a lot of people I can reach out to since I'm still rather new in town and am so shy when it comes to meeting people and making friends. I have to have thyroid removal surgery and am not even sure who I can ask to drop me off or pick me up at the hospital (or outpatient surgery, not sure what it will be). How pathetic am I?

That would suck to lose 150 pounds then get cancer and die.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

Kitty, I'm so sorry. Let the place you are having the surgery know your plight. They may have resources available to you in the community that will help. It must be so scary with no support at least not locally. I'm sure there are plenty on here who will give you moral support.
TheWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

My daughter is battling stage 3B colon cancer and is winning. Keep a positive attitude and you can do it too.
TheWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:06 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

*hugs* You can beat this.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:13 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 228/213.8/150

Height: 5'7

You are definitely not pathetic! And kick that cancers butt!

As to a ride to the hosptial (from my experience people are usually admitted for a day or two after a thyroidectomy -removal of the thyroid) See if the hospital has a shuttle. Do you have a co-worker you could ask? Perhaps you could reach out to a local support group of cancer survivors. I am sure your area has one and could help you .
Skinnygirldreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #6  
LRH

S/C/G: 152/132/127

Height: 5'5"

I think you will be fine. Thyroid cancer can be treated. I'm sure there are support groups that will be able to help you out--with transportation and emotionally. Best wishes to you for a speedy recovery. My thoughts are with you!!!
LRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #7  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

No one wants to hear the C word, ever and it is scary. BUT... thyroid cancer is easily treated.

But you do need to ask for some help possibily with transportation. Do you work? If so, now is the time to ask for some support and it can be a way to build friendships too. It is quite easy to say, "I know we don't know each other well, but with being fairly new in this town with no family around, I don't have other support to help." They will get it. Most of us have been there.

Then, when you feel better (and you will), return the favor and it can build into a stronger friendship.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #8  

I was so sad for you when I was reading this on my phone last night that I couldn't even reply.

I know EXACTLY how you feel, I was diagnosed with cancer last July (endometrial). Unless you have had to sit with your doctor and hear those words, you have no idea how it feels. I thought I was going to pass out, I thought they made a mistake and gave me someone else's results, I cried for days and days. I had a routine test and they just happen to test in pathology since they had the tissue. A routine test resulted in cancer, I never saw it coming. Didn't even know it was a possibility, I had no symptoms (so I thought).

And like yours, my cancer is totally treatable with a hysterectomy and everyone thought I should be so happy and excited that I am going to live (and of course I was). But that doesn't take away the scariness, the sadness, the fact that I became a cancer patient right at that moment. Everyone, doctors and otherwise, told me I had one of the "best" cancers to have if I was going to have one since it's so curable. I swear I almost literally puked every time I heard that. And I did want to tell every one of them off.

I have met some very kind people since my diagnosis, including everyone on this forum. It's strange how things all work out but I really do believe everything happens for a reason.

After reading your post, I wanted to jump on a plane and take you to all of your appointments. I know the distress you are in. My doctors offices have been amazing and they truly are professionals at helping us (I swear they are angels in scrubs and white coats). I am positive they are going to be able to assist you in anything that you need.

Please private message me if you ever want to talk. Or you can post here in 3FC. We are here for you.

And.....we are going to beat this cancer. Cancer seriously messed with the wrong chicks, we are cancer warriors and will not lose this battle!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #9  

Thank you all so much. I know that thyroid cancer is one of the more treatable forms of cancer, but any kind can be dangerous. Do I think I'm going to die? No, I really haven let myself think that. In fact, I am optimistic that this is just a short-term nuisance.

It would suck to lose 150 lbs then die of cancer! I can't let that happen . I wanted this year to be the day I built personal relationships and found a boyfriend after a few years of loneliness and no confidence.

I will check out support groups for transportation resources. I can ask coworkers and I do have a couple of work friends; one had volunteered to help drive me but I hate being such a burden to people. I feel like a loser to have to rely on coworkers and one friend I have already relied on once before, when everyone else has support systems and probably wonder what my problem is...
Old 03-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #10  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I'm so sorry about this. I know how scary it feels to get that diagnosis, but I will reiterate that thyroid cancer is very treatable with a high cure rate. I have 2 friends who went through it and are both cured. And I think your sense of humor (to lose 150 lbs and then die definitely WOULD suck!!) will be a big factor in your favor.

Speaking as someone who as been on both sides of the equation as the patient and as the helper, I can tell you that having a concrete thing you can do to help someone feels like a blessing, not a burden. Seriously. I definitely understand the not wanting to ask people to help, I was that way too. But then when I was the one in a position to help, it made me feel very grateful that there was some way I could help. My recommendation is to ask for very specific things, and not generic ones, or open ended. "Would you be able to drive me to the hospital this Tuesday at 10?" Or even "for this month on Tuesdays" but not no "would you be able to help drive me to the hospital?" Let people know the details and it's easier for them to realistically figure out what they can and can't do.

If there is a lot of ongoing treatment and you have a number of people who seem willing to help, maybe one person can act as a coordinator to schedule it all. But definitely start with saying yes to the person who has already offered. Each time you take one more thing off the "I need to figure this out" list, it really helps to ease the burden you feel right now.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #11  

Great advice! Thank you.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 210/206/140

Height: 64"

I'm so sorry to read about your diagnosis, cancer isn't anything anyone would ever want. My best friend had thyroid cancer, as did her sister, and they are both doing great now (had their thyroids removed). They do have some diet restrictions, and my friend has to take medication, but live normal lives otherwise.

As for asking for help, one thing that boosts peoples moods is knowing they helped someone else. Do your co-worker a favor and accept help from her. You could always pay her back in another way (maybe make a dinner for her to take home one night so she doesn't have to cook?) I have a firm belief that we were given these lives to help each other.

Good luck with your treatment and take care,

Kristy
trukmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:38 PM   #13  

Good news: I think my transportation is set!

Bad news: I now also have an eye infection . Usually that wouldn't be so big of a deal, but I had a LASIK enhancement last month. If these antibiotics don't work quickly, I could have serious problems, including loss of vision and a need for a cornea transplant.

I'm now more worried about my eye than my thyroid. I just have to be positive and think good thoughts that these eyedrops will take care of me.

I hate being such a downer...
Old 03-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Hope all goes well with your eye and with the cancer. Let us know how it goes. We all care about you.
Mountain Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 130/120/110

Height: 5'4

You'll be fine, I'm sure of it! Life throws us speed bumps along the way to remind us that no matter who we are or where we go that there'll be people who care.

There are a lot of us here who care and wish you well. and I know you won't allow anything bad to happen cause Look at how much time you need to catch up on flaunting your new figure! and flirt with all the cute guys out there! you have work to do!

Last edited by sunshinesmile; 03-19-2013 at 10:56 PM.
sunshinesmile is offline   Reply With Quote