Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 04-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 253/253/209

Height: 6 Feet

Default 4 Years Out and Mental!

Dear Friends!!

I need help... I want to know if anyone has this problem. I have had GB surgery Feb 2009.. I am now 4 years out and i feel silly asking... but....well, here it goes.. please,,, if I am unclear... pls ask me...

I have reached my goal weight about 7 months after the surgery.. I was like yayyy.. I did it!!

Then I have been up and down 15-20 pounds since then.. which is probably normal right??

Ok,,, well my issue is... I get on these junkfood eating kicks and although still eating healthy.. Not as much.. and gain a few pounds...

Then I get on these other kicks,,, where i eat less and less till im almost eating barely anything at all on a day to day basis.. and my weight just drops severely... I eat 3 or 4 bites of food,,, then quit... and dont eat for so many hours...and sometimes... not interested in food at all... I think my pouch shrinks and i feel full faster all over again.. Also pay too much attention to my portions.. I have reduced back down to a very small bowl at meal time... why do i feel like this..?? why does this happen?.. my weight is dropping and i cannot seem to get myself to eat enough food... My mind has changed so much since being obese.. and now I am feeling sad..

Last edited by xbubloox; 04-02-2013 at 05:18 PM.
xbubloox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #2  
Loving the Sleeved Life

S/C/G: 267/252/133.5

Height: 5'3"

I'm still very new to WLS, but you sound a lot like the women my naturally thin family. Maybe that's just normal for healthy people? I wouldn't know, personally, and it would worry me, too.

Or the other thought: Have you had a talk with your PCP to rule out anything illness-wise? Perhaps a little blood work could give some insight?
Joliebug82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:16 AM   #3  
Releasing the inner hiker

Have you considered a therapist? We didn't get to the point where we needed surgical intervention in order to reach a "normal" weight without brain/food issues. It sounds like you could benefit from talking to someone about this, as it seems self-destructive.

When you get on these jags where you won't eat anything, do you continue to take your vitamins? Vitamin deficiencies are serious concerns and can lead to some permanent damage.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 253/253/209

Height: 6 Feet

No, I admit.. I have also been neglecting my vitamins as well... Maybe it is depression? Because... when i was fat... i abused food when i was depressed or happy... now i seem to want to neglect food.... Your right.. maybe my issue.
xbubloox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #5  
Releasing the inner hiker

When was the last time you had thorough blood-work done? If it has been more than six months and you haven't been taking vits, I'd suggest you get that done first. Some vitamin deficiencies, like B12, not only can cause permanent nerve damage, they can also cause depression and lethargy. You might also want to make an appt with your surgical team to check in with them and let them know your current struggles, as they might be able to get you back on track.

I find myself thinking I am "normal" a lot because I look normal and can eat healthy portions. I have to remind myself that I am not "normal" and can't allow myself to fall into self-destructive patterns like not taking vits and not eating protein forward. Sometimes my inner brat just doesn't want to take that third calcium dose of the day or the iron at night. I can imagine that if I stopped the habit, it would become even harder to get started again.

If you need help with which blood tests to order, a reminder of the minimum vitamin requirements, or help in setting schedules, feel free to ask.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:55 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

four years already? my it's really flown by! but that also means that the really hard part is here. The part where - as Jen says - you have to pay attention to taking care of yourself. the issues that you haven't resolved are still there and lurking for an opening. They might show up in a different form, but oh dear, they are still there!!! it's been 10+ years for me and i STILL have surprises.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote