Old 04-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 162/158/125

Height: 5'4"

Default Surgery is scheduled - do I stay on track?

Hi All! I'm excited to have found this forum! I started IP for the first time this past Thursday (which was no small feat for me with Easter - yet I stayed on track 100% even with my daughter's birthday party, lots of candy, & an amazing Easter dinner which made my mouth water like you would not believe). I will be having laproscopic surgery 4/15 to remove a large ovarian cyst & also an ablation (burning the lining of the uterus). I learned about & started IP after the surgery was scheduled. My coach is a former surgical nurse, & she said it should not be a problem, though she said I may need to add some additional food to aid in the healing process.

Do you all see any issues with continuing IP leading up to the surgery & shortly after? I am 34 & healthy otherwise.

Also, OT please talk to me about light exercise during phase 1. Can I do daily walks (2-3 miles) at a light clip of 3-3.5 mph? Coach didn't seem to think that low intensity would be an issue. I haven't had any negative side effects since starting & I haven't been hungry.

Thank you all kindly!

-Natalie
IPNatalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186.6/126.8/125

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPNatalie View Post
Hi All! I'm excited to have found this forum! I started IP for the first time this past Thursday (which was no small feat for me with Easter - yet I stayed on track 100% even with my daughter's birthday party, lots of candy, & an amazing Easter dinner which made my mouth water like you would not believe). I will be having laproscopic surgery 4/15 to remove a large ovarian cyst & also an ablation (burning the lining of the uterus). I learned about & started IP after the surgery was scheduled. My coach is a former surgical nurse, & she said it should not be a problem, though she said I may need to add some additional food to aid in the healing process.

Do you all see any issues with continuing IP leading up to the surgery & shortly after? I am 34 & healthy otherwise.

Also, OT please talk to me about light exercise during phase 1. Can I do daily walks (2-3 miles) at a light clip of 3-3.5 mph? Coach didn't seem to think that low intensity would be an issue. I haven't had any negative side effects since starting & I haven't been hungry.

Thank you all kindly!

-Natalie
I just had reconstructive surgery on my thumb on March 8th. I didn't change my program at all and am healing just fine. I would think you'll probably be okay. Good luck with your surgery and I hope you have a quick and full recovery!

I don't exercise at all on Phase 1, but I know there are a lot of others here who do. They will have some great input regarding that topic. i think they usually say that if you are going to work out, that you should probably ingest an extra packet to aid with the regeneration of your muscles after the workouts.
Suchawittygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: BF% 37.6/see sig/BF20%

Height: 5' 9"

IPNatalie,

I just had hysteroscopy, D&C and HTA last Thursday (cysts, fibroids, etc). I can't answer your specific questions but I have another bit of insight. The saline IV drip could make you gain a bit of weight. Don't panic! I was up 7 lbs the night after surgery!! I was also really bloated/swollen in the belly/lower ab area, too. I wasn't really hungry and when I ate the bloated/swelling/pressure increased. No biggie - all part of the healing process - it was just a surprise! I had the Genesys hydrothermal ablation (same day surgery). After I moved to recovery- horrible cramps (d&c?). The first two days after were painful(meds), the next two a little bit(no meds needed), but today I feel almost normal! I can't lift weights until 2 weeks out according to the doc...I think I will feel up to it by next Monday!
Best of luck with the procedures!
2FatCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 162/158/125

Height: 5'4"

Thank you Cats & Wittygal! I truly appreciate the feedback - it's just what I needed!

I am in total denial about the pain! I think I will heed your advice & take the pain meds. I was off heavy pain meds 2 days after my c-section, so hopefully it will be similar. Also, thank you for the saline info. I blew up during both kids' deliveries, so I expect the same to happen, & I will avoid the scale during the first week so I don't get depressed!

Thanks you again!
IPNatalie is offline   Reply With Quote