Old 03-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #1  
NeNe

S/C/G: 200/187/165

Height: 5'6"

Default Testing For Ketosis?

I test daily to make sure I am still in Ketosis as that is my accountability measurement (and motivation that my efforts are working). Does anybody else do this?
firegirl441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #2  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

I wish I could.... I have been unemployed for 5 months and don't have the money for the strips... But I (sorry about this) look at the color of my pee and from memory and history, I know that it is looking right (darker)...

There are other people who do the strips... I have read their postings I would love to see purple! Woo Hoo
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #3  
NeNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaskipandlaugh View Post
I wish I could.... I have been unemployed for 5 months and don't have the money for the strips... But I (sorry about this) look at the color of my pee and from memory and history, I know that it is looking right (darker)...
WOW! I have never heard about the color. I learned something new today. Thanks,
Old 03-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #4  

I did the hcg diet for about a month a while back and I used the strips to test daily and I am starting the IP diet on alternatives in about a week and I intend to test daily with strips...the strips I had would help me knew when I was I had too much ketones in my urine..and would turn very dark purple and that was not healthy. I was told by my coach on that diet to eat a piece of fruit and that would usually help..and this didn't happen often.usually I was in mild to moderate ketosis...however since im doing this IP diet on my own...ill have to come back here to research what to do if I find my strips are dark purple....
inot700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:50 AM   #5  
NeNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez View Post
Anyone who tells you its not healthy has no idea what theyre talking about. Ketosis is not ketoacidosis. I would've found a new coach.
If they are dark purple, congrats, youre in ketosis. You are also in ketosis if theyre light pink. Its all ketosis. Mind, you dont have to be in ketosis to lose weight. And for some people the sticks never show anything. They are not necessary, and dont mean much. Theyre just kind of neat.
I am glad to know that the dark purple is not bad for you. I had not heard that before. I have to say though that they do mean a lot to me as that is how I judge if I start eating too many carbs. I would love to know if you are on the darker end of the pink spectrum if you lose weight any faster. Has anyone ever heard the answer to this before?
Old 03-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Sadly, those ketosis strips don't work for everyone. I lost over 100 lbs on Atkins and those strips never changed color for me.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #7  
NeNe

WOW, Jerseygirl! I sure would lose motivation if they never turned since I am used to them doing that. I'm sure though with your significant weight loss, you were motivated by that. It is awesome that you lost more than 100 lbs. Congrats!

You stated in your siggy: Still Going Strong On Atkins Since April 13, 2004

Can you share how you do it? I get bored on Atkins after awhile?

Last edited by firegirl441; 04-01-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #8  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by firegirl441 View Post
WOW, Jerseygirl! I sure would lose motivation if they never turned since I am used to them doing that. I'm sure though with your significant weight loss, you were motivated by that. It is awesome that you lost more than 100 lbs. Congrats!

You stated in your siggy: Still Going Strong On Atkins Since April 13, 2004

Can you share how you do it? I get bored on Atkins after awhile?
Hi Firegirl,

I will soon be celebrating 9 years on Atkins. When I started Atkins back in 2004, I did it with the intention of making it a true lifestyle change and not just thinking of it as a "diet" I could get off of once I had lost the weight. I chose Atkins because I enjoy the foods I CAN have!!! I don't miss the bread, pasta, rice or potatoes. I eat a lot more veggies & salads. Atkins definitely works for me and I can't imagine eating any other way.
I am very fortunate because I have a wonderful support system. My parents & DBF have encouraged & supported me from day 1 on this journey and that makes each day a lot easier.
We are often our own worst enemy. Believe in yourself and that you can do this. I am not going to promise you it is always going to be easy....but....if you persevere, I will promise you it is well worth it!
Atkins saved my life and I will always sing its praises. If I can do this, ANYONE can!
You CAN do this!!
And as far as the ketosis strips....I honestly didn't need to watch some strip turn color to motivate me to lose weight. When my clothes got looser & looser , that was motivation to keep going!!!
All the best to you!!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 04-01-2013 at 02:28 PM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 268/254/165

Height: 5'9"

I got strips from Costco 5.57 and Walmart 6.87 you get 50 in box and I cut in half cause sometimes I do several times a day but usually turn pink at night
janie275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #10  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Thank you for the info Janie
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #11  

Default New to Atkins.....losing very slowly

I use the strips at least twice a day and I'm in ketosis Everytime but still not losing much weight. I just started week three yesterday and I weighed myself this morning and I weigh 161.8 and I started at 167.6 lbs. I was on Atkins around 10 years ago and lost weight very quickly. I have been reading all the posts and I think one thing may be is I was eating the bars every couple of days. I have not cheated at all. The last time I followed the first Atkins book maybe I need to be that strict again not sure. Does anyone have any advice......yesterday I ate......
Breakfast: 4 slices of bacon 2 eggs scrambled in olive oil. Water
Lunch: beef fajitas, small amount of grilled onion and bell pepper and queso. Water with crystal light.
Snack: Atkins bar with Water
Dinner: shrimp with hot sauce....1 oz yellow squash.....1/2 cup lettuce with 1 tbs full fat ranch......water with crystal light
By the way I'm 5'2...I would like to lose 35 to 40 lbs.

Last edited by Kandyk; 04-15-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Kandyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 230/210/150

Height: 5'3"

Listen to Jez, she knows what she's talking about. As you are in ketosis for a long time you will not get the darker purple color because your body is more efficient at burning ketones (or something like that...not clear on the jargon). You just want them to be pink.

Jersey Girl is not the first person I have heard of who didn't test positive with the strips. If you follow IP, you will be in ketosis. I am very carb sensetive so I don't do a lot of restricteds, you will find your own path, but its pretty cut n' dry.
Ruti is offline   Reply With Quote