View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #19
Wannabeskinny

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
I don't think it needs to come in the form of a diet or even within the framework of "I can't have this" or "XYZ is forbidden" - but most people need to retrain their palates and their stomachs to adapt to a normal satisfying amount of nutritious food, which is a lifestyle change. Movement is a rough one in winter - being outdoors sucks and is even dangerous, and gyms and dance studios and other places you go to move are full of dieters and people who try to sell the "fitspo which is really the new thinspo" idea. I see it everywhere now - people are like "LEANER, LEANER" instead of "THINNER, THINNER" but it is all means to the same end - unnaturally low body fat for females because that's what's desirable in a lot of circles.
I agree, I never see the word Lifestyle Change as code for diet. Diet to me means a temporary restriction in food with the intention of losing weight only to go back to what you were doing before. A life style change means redeveloping your relationship with nutrition and fitness. It means that you want to get to the point where making healthy decisions is a habit that you never have to think about, it's automatic like brushing your teeth. We don't keep track of how many times we brush our teeth, we don't write down how many minutes we did it for, we don't measure the amount of floss we use, we don't keep detailed records of how much toothpaste we use, we don't argue over which toothpaste is best. We just wake up and brush our teeth, no thought given to it it's just daily routine. That's what I want my food intake to be, routine, without emotional turmoil. I want to eat an apple and no agonize over hunger or think about how good I was for eating an apple. I don't want to reward myself for choosing something healthy, I think that's the trap that we fall into with DIETING. We reward ourselves for staying below points or within our calorie range. If we had a healthy lifestyle we wouldn't be patting ourselves on the back for eating a salad.

“If you try to lose weight by shaming, depriving and fearing yourself, you will end up shamed, deprived, and afraid.” Geneen Roth