Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #1  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Default Exercise after fainting episode?

Let me first start off by saying that I know this forum isn't full of medical professionals. *L* And I have already seen my doctor about this, and unfortunately there's not much I can do to "treat" it, so...yeah. But let me tell you about it anyway.

I have reactive hypoglycemia (diagnosed last year.) Basically, it just means that sometimes, 2-3 hours after a meal, my blood sugar drops too low and I get shaky/lightheaded/faint. I've had a couple of minor episodes and it wasn't a big deal.

Yesterday, though, I passed out completely while at Good Friday services at my church. It ended with me laid flat out on the floor in the back of the church, and if it hadn't been for one of the parishioners who had a roll of LifeSavers in her purse, I don't know what would have happened. When my blood sugar was checked (I carry a monitor with me), it was only 3.8.

Anyway. What I'm wondering now is, should I wait a while before exercising again? I don't think that's really necessary, because...well, a) it's never happened to me at the gym before; b) if it *did* happen to me at the gym, at least there would be people around; and c) when I work out at the gym, I always eat something small before I go, and have a small snack afterwards so that my blood sugar doesn't crash out on me.

Yesterday was just a blip, I think -- and it was a blip that I damn well brought on myself. I was off yesterday, so I slept in, and then just ate a bowl of cereal for breakfast, and didn't eat anything else before I went to church five hours later. When you're accustomed to eating every 3-4 hours (because that's pretty much how you *have* to eat when you're hypoglycemic), not eating for that amount of time is not a good thing.

So I want to go back to the gym tomorrow (because I really miss it) and I'm just thinking, should I? I don't see any point in waiting, really...I feel perfectly fine now and I know what caused my episode (and how to stop it from happening again.) And believe me...after how lousy I felt yesterday, I will do anything to keep from feeling that way again. I'll eat every hour on the hour if I have to. *L*

Last edited by Snoofie; 03-30-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #2  
waisting away

S/C/G: Too Much/Getting There/Healthy

Height: 5' 8"

I can't really give any advice on how long to wait. It seems unlikely to me that this event would increase the chance of another episode in the near future, so if all other things are equal, they why be afraid of going back? I do think you need to be careful about making yourself scared to go to the gym and then subconsciously always relating the gym to that emotion. One piece of advice I would give is to make your gym staff (in writing) aware of your hypoglycemia and if you keep any hard candies or glucose with you in case of an event. Knowledge is power and you do want to be as safe as practical.
gatorgirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #3  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
One piece of advice I would give is to make your gym staff (in writing) aware of your hypoglycemia and if you keep any hard candies or glucose with you in case of an event. Knowledge is power and you do want to be as safe as practical.
This is a really, really good idea. When I went to work today, I brought an info sheet on hypoglycemia with me so that my boss and co-worker (I work in a small menswear store and there are only three of us!) can know about the condition and what to do for me if there is ever a situation where I have an episode and become disoriented or faint. I also brought a packet of glucose tablets to keep at the cash desk in case they're ever needed. I'll bring the same info sheet with me to the gym tomorrow, and also add my condition to my membership form. All of the staff at my gym are CPR certified (obviously!) and I'm sure they'd be appreciative of the information.

Really, this is something I should have done a while ago (because I have had these episodes before) but I have never had one this severe, so I guess I was slacking. Oops. I also signed up for MedicAlert tonight and ordered a bracelet (which is something else that's LONG overdue; I have other conditions besides hypoglycemia.)

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely take your advice! (And I totally agree with you on the whole "associating my attacks with the gym" thing. I don't want that to happen!)
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:13 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia years ago. I keep it under control with diet, but.......exercise sometimes causes my blood sugar to drop dramatically. Especially if I had eaten to much sugar the day before. A doctor once told me to up my protein the next day. It seems to help me. don't check my sugar levels anymore as I know when I've screwed up and my level is low.

I feel this is why I sometimes crave sweets.
TheWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote