View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 11:13 PM   #50
KitKat169
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

Ok, I used to hate liver when my mom tried to make it, couldn't even be in the house with it. But I've been reading paleo cookbooks in anticipation of maintenance and found some interesting information about liver so I decided to take the plunge and try it. I found this a pretty good recipe that I would try again. However I will say that I altered the portions to include 8oz liver and just enough of the veg to fit my meal portion. I think the liver was a bit rich for me so next time less liver per meal.

Note: if you aren't yet sold on liver but like staying on a budget, I bought 1lb liver for $2.07. Can't get much cheaper than that!

GARLIC CHICKEN LIVERS WITH PEPPERS AND KALE
12oz (340 g) chicken liver
2 tsp olive or grapeseed oil
1 onion, sliced
3 thinly sliced clove of garlic
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper
1 large sweet red pepper, diced
1 cup chicken stock
tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp coconut or apple cider vinegar
2 cups fresh kale, chopped

Rinse chicken livers and pat dry; remove any fat and connective tissue. Cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces. In large skillet, heat 1 tsp (15 mL) of the oil over medium-high heat; stir-fry livers until browned and still slightly pink inside, about 4 minutes. Remove to plate; keep warm.

Add remaining oil to pan; fry onion, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 4 minutes. Add red pepper; cook for 2 minutes.

Whisk together stock, xanthan gum and vinegar; add to pan and bring to boil, add the kale. Reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Return livers to pan; heat through.

My progress photos: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini...ss-photos.html
KitKat169 is offline   Reply With Quote