Old 03-30-2013, 11:00 PM   #14
Shannon in ATL
Maintaining

S/C/G: 190/139/130

Height: 5'5.5"

Default Slow cooker potato soup

Slow cooker potato soup

Ingredients:
5 lbs potatoes (russet has worked best for me, idaho went badly)
1 cup of heavy cream
1/2 cup reduced fat milk of needed
6-8 cups chicken broth or stock
1 while onion, med or lrge to taste
4-6 cloves fresh garlic
1/2 tbsp oil
Black pepper
Salt

Preparation :
- Chop onion and garlic fine in chopper or food proccesor
- brown garlic and onion to desired level in skillet with oil, pour into slow cooker pot
- Peel potatoes if desired, I don't as the peel gives good flavor. Chop potatoes into small pieces, place in slow cooker. Decrease potato volume for smaller slow cooker (mine is 6.5)
- cover potatoes completely with broth
-liberally pepper (Dh says the two most important ingredients in potato soup are potatoes and pepper, so I put in what I think I need, then put in some more, then add more during cooking and at the end)
- stir to blend all ingredients
- cook on low for 8-9 hours
- stir in cream, let cook for 15 minutes or so
-add more pepper, salt to taste. If you want you can stir in shredded cheese here.
- at this point you can go several ways. If you like thin soup, puree with stick blender. I like chunky, so I break the potatoes up with a fork. After 8-9 hours they break up well on their own. I'm getting a potato masher soon to try.
- this will hold on warm for a long time, and will thicken as it warms. Add reduced fat milk or skim 1/4 cup at a time to Thin, or when you add the cream if you want thinner.
- top with shredded cheese, bacon bits, scallions, whatever you like

With the listed ingredients the entire crock comes to 2600 calories and makes about 8 servings. Reheat beautifully.

Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote