Old 03-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 192/173.6/145

Height: 5'4"

Default strictly a calorie counter but...

I think I'm going to have to ban mac n cheese from my diet! I can never just have one serving. Today was actually a better day with me eating only 2.5 servings but that was still 1000 calories.

Any other fellow calorie counters ban foods from their diet?
hopebewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #2  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Oh yes....

I recently had to cut the dip I was using on my veggies when I realized I went through a half jar in ten minutes.

I've gone primal, so most of my worst trigger foods are banned, but I have to be very vigilant with my calories, so if I seem to like it too much, it's gone.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I am that way with American Flatbread pizza company pizza. But I realized the other day that if I ate a whole one for brunch, 1000 calories, I'd stay full until 6pm and could then just have a little steak and a bunch of veggies (about 550 calories) and still be within all my limits for the day and not hungry at all.

So, rather than pretend I'm going to eat 1/3 of it, I just build it into my day!
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #4  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I have banned everything except beer, water, coffee, tea, milk, cheese (but very limited), boiled eggs (limited), chicken (very limited), proscuito, bread (very limited), seafood (limited), tuna and fruit/veggies (no potatoes or rice, not too much fruit). I'm tying to restrict my sugar and fat intake as much as possible.

Any gap in the door, I'd burst it open.

Last edited by IanG; 03-28-2013 at 08:54 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/152/110

Height: 5'1½''

I've banned white bread and pasta. I can never get full eating them and they trigger me to binge.
out from under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 205/175/105

Height: 5 foot 1 inch

i have not banned, but simply cut down. i can eat 100 calories worth of mac and cheese at a time and be happy with it. yesterday i ate ONE piece of fried chicken and ONE serving of mac and cheese with one SMALL piece of tiramisu... and i was able to fit it all into my day's calories.

it's all about moderation.

if you're about to eat something you know you have an issue with, drink a full glass of water (a full 8 ounces), then wait a few minutes, THEN eat, and eat SLOWLY. you will feel full a lot faster, so your portions will be smaller.
Alyssa Autopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #7  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Mac & cheese used to be one of my downfalls... so I hear you with that one... I actually had to stop going to a certain restaurant because they had this amazing Lobster mac & cheese on the menu that I just couldn't resist... lol...

Pasta in general... really sets me off... I mean who can just eat a single serving size which is usually 2oz. which does not make much IMHO... so I steer clear...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
Mac & cheese used to be one of my downfalls... so I hear you with that one... I actually had to stop going to a certain restaurant because they had this amazing Lobster mac & cheese on the menu that I just couldn't resist... lol...

Pasta in general... really sets me off... I mean who can just eat a single serving size which is usually 2oz. which does not make much IMHO... so I steer clear...
i hear that! 2 oz of spaghetti is 210 calories x.x and 1 serving of ramen is 190, and a packet has 2 servings!

pasta is hard to get away from, as carbs are so addictive. but if you use the advice i posted above, i guarantee you can stay on track :3 i mean, it's been working for me for nearly 2 months already!
Old 03-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #9  

I have realized I can't do moderation in any sense, I love certain foods and they don't love me back!!

I have taken a break from potatoes, bread/anything made with dough like pizza or bagels, fried foods, desserts like cake and pie, alcohol, etc.

Some day when I am closer to maintenance I will try to reintroduce healthier versions of the foods above but I think certain trigger foods like bread (I can't have a slice, I eat a loaf...not kidding) and potato chips (I eat a bag, not a serving...) will be put off for a very, very long time. It doesn't matter that I count my calories, it would be 4,000 calories like it was in the past and I can't and won't do that anymore. Not banning these foods would be too tempting for me to wreck all of my progress.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 192/173.6/145

Height: 5'4"

Alyssa I see ur doing great with ur weightloss! That's awesome. I can eat most other things in moderation including chocolate. But ill even eat a plate full of veggies and wait 15 minutesetc..... I basically eat it til its gone. It ddoesn't matter how full I feel. I can even moderate other pasta dishes! Well alfredo not so much lol.
hopebewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 183/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Fried anything
Cakes, cookies, brownies etc. that are not prepared in a light version (such as brownies made with pumpkin)
Kraft mac and cheese. I buy Annie's instead.
Greasy potato chips. I prefer pretzels or similar healthier options.

I don't feel the need to ban things like white bread. I don't WANT white bread. I enjoy organic whole wheat a lot more. Same as I don't crave things like regular peanut butter (yuck!)...the healthier, natural alternatives just taste better now.

Last edited by McMurphy; 03-30-2013 at 07:54 PM.
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 152/cw 147/gw 135/ugw 130

Height: 5'7''

I haven't really banned anything from my diet, but I have been extremely vigilant about portion sizes. When I pick up snacks for myself that I could easily eat a whole bag of in one sitting (I'm looking at you, trader joe's peanut butter pretzels), I portion them out into snack baggies, and it usually is enough to stop me from eating more than one serving at a time. I have also been using smaller plates/bowls/etc. to trick myself into feeling more full!
bubblybarrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopebewild View Post
Alyssa I see ur doing great with ur weightloss! That's awesome. I can eat most other things in moderation including chocolate. But ill even eat a plate full of veggies and wait 15 minutesetc..... I basically eat it til its gone. It ddoesn't matter how full I feel. I can even moderate other pasta dishes! Well alfredo not so much lol.
thank you! i have weighed in recently at 182, but i only update my weight every 5 pounds.

once i feel full i can NOT keep eating, even if i only have 2 bites left. from years of self-starvation my stomach has shrunk a lot (i literally just had 1/2 a chicken breast and 4 shrimp and am full) so if i eat too much i feel like vomiting... sometimes intentionally, depending on the food (soft foods like mashed potatoes make me wanna eat a crapton of them and purge, because i know how easy it is to do).

i have issues moderating my sweets and nuts. i really love cashews, but they're a whopping 170 calories per 1/4 cup. and i love lollipops and chocolate, i have at least one or the other basically every day. today i'm gonna be going over my limit, but that's because i got FREE food, and it's not the kind of food that's good re-heated (fried shrimp... it'll get rubbery in the micro). i'm also having steak tonight, which will be around 200, so i'll be going about 150-200 over my calorie limit for the day... but i don't care. it's okay to cheat every now and again, as long as you don't go totally overboard.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:33 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 152/cw 147/gw 135/ugw 130

Height: 5'7''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa Autopsy View Post
i have issues moderating my sweets and nuts. i really love cashews, but they're a whopping 170 calories per 1/4 cup. and i love lollipops and chocolate, i have at least one or the other basically every day.
Ummmm yes, I hear you on that. I bought a kitchen scale just for measuring portions of cashews. My fiance can down a whole package of cashews in one sitting and I absolutely could as well, but I have forced myself to snack sized baggie my individual portions!
bubblybarrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:03 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblybarrister View Post
Ummmm yes, I hear you on that. I bought a kitchen scale just for measuring portions of cashews. My fiance can down a whole package of cashews in one sitting and I absolutely could as well, but I have forced myself to snack sized baggie my individual portions!
oh god so can i! i want a kitchen scale too. right now i just use measuring cups for 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 1 cup etc... with ounces of stuff like chicken or fish i kinda have to guesstimate. but i don't really mind because i usually OVER-estimate, so i don't over-eat for my calories for the day.