Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #1  
No description available.

Default Crossfit Support Thread

Hi all,
I think there are a few of us who are Crossfitting. This is a support thread, so post here to share ideas, triumphs, etc!

Right now I'm just working on proper squat form with light weight. I've always sucked at squatting, much to the chagrin of several previous personal trainers. I think it is a flexibility issue and I have come a long way in a short period of time.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Hi Midwife!

I'm just under 4 months postpartum so I'm not into full CF again yet, but mostly working on correcting my squat stance (I squatted into my 8th month so my knees flare and my stance is too wide), and general form as I'm nursing all night.

Goals for this month... learn & perfect the power clean!!

Have you read Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength? It has an incredible 50+ page section on squats and learning flexibility for it.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #3  

Squatting correctly is a challenge! I keep thinking that it shouldn't be. I mean I sit down and get up hundreds of times a day (maybe).

Thanks for the reference. I'll check it out.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/see signature/140

Height: 5 foot 5

Hi, I'm pretty new to cross fit. this is my third week, I try and get in two classes a week. I'm really not enjoying it. I'm the weakest person in the class and really self conscious. Sometimes I walk out frustrated, sometimes I walk out triumphant. I just wish that the beginners class was really filled with beginners, because it isn't. People are there because it fits in with their schedule .....Still, I"m going to keep going and stop whining, I just hope it gets easier, and that I see results from it.
Zumbachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #5  

Zumbachica! I wish we were at the same one, cause I would make you feel so much better about your abilities!

Just remember, start where you are with what you have and do what you can. Stick with it.

Everyone was a beginner once and I think the majority of people are very supportive. The ones who aren't tend to be more oblivious than negative.

I bet in a year you will have made enormous progress!
Old 03-23-2013, 01:44 AM   #6  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

I'll join this one! Actually on my way to bed, but I'll check in tomorrow night if I'm not too beat...judging 13.3 in the morning, then gym cleaning after.

Zumbachica, I was last of the last when I started, still am sometimes, if there's running...I swear I'm the slowest runner on the planet! However, you won't always be last, so don't let it get you down. Most important is that if you enjoy the workouts, then don't be afraid to try out a few CF gyms if you have more than one in your area, till you find one that suits. It can vary quite a bit depending on who the owners are, their experience, the atmosphere they perpetuate, etc.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #7  

I'm feeling the 24kg kettlebell swings today!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2013, 06:39 PM   #8  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Sorry, peeps, this was a busy weekend so I spaced checking here, and I need to be here, because I have gotten lax lately and need to drop about 20 lbs. Too many times saying yes to invitations to eat dinner with friends/family, too many potlucks, eggnog over the holidays, you name it...been working at cleaning up the eats and have done that the last 6 weeks, but I need to add in calorie counting and daily weigh-ins, because without tracking that, it's too easy for me to go way over what I need, and the scale doesn't budge. Feeling good is awesome, but I'd feel even better if my pants weren't tight and I wasn't hefting an extra 20 lbs on pull-ups, lol.

We had a good but busy weekend with 13.3 at our gym...the big group on Saturday and a couple of do-overs on Sunday that were trying desperately to get a muscle-up or a faster time that would keep them in the running for regionals..no muscle-ups happened but they did all improve their split times, so they were happy.

I was off all last week since I put my back out at work...got the spine back in alignment but still dealing with bruised and knotted up muscles all along the back chain. My trainer's going to help me out later this week by foam rolling the knots that I haven't been able to get myself...calves for example, I just couldn't put enough weight on to get the rocks out of my muscles there. I have a new appreciation and love for foam rolling after being just about crippled all last week...between that and ibuprofen I'm at least ready to get back in the gym tonight! Speaking of that, time to get ready.

Sacha, I love heavy swings. Ever tried the 70 pounder? I have to laugh because I've tried it a couple times, and I can't stay in one spot, I can put enough hip action on it to swing it, then the weight yanks me off my feet, lol.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 160/see signature/140

Height: 5 foot 5

Jams..I love the foam roller! bought one that came with a DVD from target..there are nights I can't walk up the stairs from achiness....foam roller is like a miracle!!
Zumbachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsk8r View Post
Sorry, peeps, this was a busy weekend so I spaced checking here, and I need to be here, because I have gotten lax lately and need to drop about 20 lbs. Too many times saying yes to invitations to eat dinner with friends/family, too many potlucks, eggnog over the holidays, you name it...been working at cleaning up the eats and have done that the last 6 weeks, but I need to add in calorie counting and daily weigh-ins, because without tracking that, it's too easy for me to go way over what I need, and the scale doesn't budge. Feeling good is awesome, but I'd feel even better if my pants weren't tight and I wasn't hefting an extra 20 lbs on pull-ups, lol.

We had a good but busy weekend with 13.3 at our gym...the big group on Saturday and a couple of do-overs on Sunday that were trying desperately to get a muscle-up or a faster time that would keep them in the running for regionals..no muscle-ups happened but they did all improve their split times, so they were happy.

I was off all last week since I put my back out at work...got the spine back in alignment but still dealing with bruised and knotted up muscles all along the back chain. My trainer's going to help me out later this week by foam rolling the knots that I haven't been able to get myself...calves for example, I just couldn't put enough weight on to get the rocks out of my muscles there. I have a new appreciation and love for foam rolling after being just about crippled all last week...between that and ibuprofen I'm at least ready to get back in the gym tonight! Speaking of that, time to get ready.

Sacha, I love heavy swings. Ever tried the 70 pounder? I have to laugh because I've tried it a couple times, and I can't stay in one spot, I can put enough hip action on it to swing it, then the weight yanks me off my feet, lol.
Yes I have toyed with the 32kg, but only to move it out of the way Maybe next year....!!
Old 03-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #11  

I have a love hate relationship with the foam roller. Ouch! And then it feels so good.

I'm such a newbie that I haven't done the 13.3 stuff (in fact, what is that? I do other WODs and I know on Saturday they did 13.3). Is it prepping for Crossfit games?

Hope you are feeling 100% soon!

Sacha, that's impressive for kettlebells. I remember asking for kettlebells for Christmas one year. I should have specified. I think they were 5 lbs or so!
Old 03-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #12  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

haha...save those for the kids, midwife. And yes, the Opens is the first level of competition to qualify for the crossfit games...it goes Opens to Regionals to Games, except for the masters division, they go straight from the Opens to the games, if they make the cut. I'm not competing, just judging. We host NW Regionals in June, and for that I always work equipment crew...way more fun than judging, for me.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #13  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Sacha, that's me, too, one swing and, yeah, okay, maybe later, lol!
Old 03-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #14  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Chica, I remember the first few months, yeesh, I was feeling "broken" pretty much all the time, lol. That part does get better.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #15  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Morning, ladies. My back has been feeling better, not 100% yet, but definitely a lot better this week than last week. My schedule has been pretty hit-or-miss this week, and I ended up skipping gym all week except for Monday, to try and keep other things on track, but I'm hoping I'll do better next week and get back into the gym at least 3-4 days. Would love to do six days a week but that requires me to be on the stick with scheduling my days, so I'm working on that end of it, but I'll be happy with even a few days a week!

Going into the gym this morning to judge another CF games Opens workout, then staying to do my part of the gym cleaning. Working a yard work job tomorrow, no Easter celebration since my son went to his friend's house for the weekend to celebrate with them. Kid-free weekend, so like the party animal I am, I'm working the whole weekend, of course, lol!