Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #1  
Loving the Sleeved Life

S/C/G: 267/252/133.5

Height: 5'3"

Smile Intro to a Sleeve Life

Good morning, everyone! I can't tell you how excited I am to have found this group! I would love to join ya'll, if youll have me! This is day 4 post-op (vertical sleeve gastrectomy), and I truly feel fantastic! The hospital was hard because of nausea, but that has passed and I am focusing on getting my protein and water in.

About me:
I am a single (but engaged) mom to three perfectly healthy, happy kids. My twins are three and my big boy is 8. They have been great about taking care of Mommy.

I am an English teacher in the middle grades, and though it is a difficult and stressful, I love it every day.

I have struggled with weight since high school, and considered surgery a few times, but always thought I could lose the weight without such an irreversible measure. I tried Nutrisystem, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Ideal Protein, pills, and the "simple" eat less-move more plan. The only one I had any success on was Ideal Protein, when I lost 50 pounds. It has all come back, though, and when my OBGYN recommended surgery, and there just happened to be a seminar right after my appointment ended, and the host was the doctor I had considered before, and he could schedule me on the first day of Easter break so I wouldn't miss school...all that added up and I knew this was the time for me.

I feel so very blessed to have a chance to undo all my bad habits, and though I know it will be a lot of work, I know my life is going where I want it.
Joliebug82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Welcome, and congrats on doing so well with your surgery. Every approach to attaining a healthier lifestyle is present here and everyone is remarkably supportive.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

good heavens, Jolie - 4 days out from surgery and SO MUCH ENERGY!!!! your kids had better be ready for some changes in their lives, now that you have so much more energy!!! and your students won't know what hit them.

glad you're feeling so well... and welcome aboard!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #4  
Moooove It

S/C/G: 255/248/150

Height: 5'4"

Yay!!! Congratulations! I just had RNY last week and we are similar weights, although I'm shorter and have 4 kids. But I'm so excited to have you here!!

My recovery has been a bit rockier but I'm feeling really great and I know this is the way for ME to be a healthier mom.

Welcome and thanks for joining us!
MadCowOnTheMend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 291/234/170

Height: 5'9"

Welcome! I have VSG surgery on March 5th and am feeling great now that I am over 3 weeks out. I am so excited to see what the future has in store for me now. I look forward to following your journey!
ForeverVivid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:08 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 318.5/301/180

Height: 5'6

Hope I have a similar experience!
2Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #7  
Loving the Sleeved Life

Thanks, y'all! Hope everyone has a happy Saturday!
Old 03-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #8  
Loving the Sleeved Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop View Post
good heavens, Jolie - 4 days out from surgery and SO MUCH ENERGY!!!! your kids had better be ready for some changes in their lives, now that you have so much more energy!!! and your students won't know what hit them.

glad you're feeling so well... and welcome aboard!
My students are going to be shocked to see that, for sure. I was always an active teacher, but hope to be dynamic now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCowOnTheMend View Post
Yay!!! Congratulations! I just had RNY last week and we are similar weights, although I'm shorter and have 4 kids. But I'm so excited to have you here!!

My recovery has been a bit rockier but I'm feeling really great and I know this is the way for ME to be a healthier mom.

Welcome and thanks for joining us!
Oh how fun! Surgery date buddies! I am glad you're feeling so much better. Today I felt worse upon waking, but 3 oz of a protein shake in, and I'm much better. It's a gorgeous day here in South Louisiana, and I am watching my twins jump on the trampoline and drive their new Jeep around the yard.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #9  

Joliebug I'm so glad you found this site also! I have a similar story (trying different diets, going back and forth about surgery, etc) and I had found this site when I was going through all that. It was the best thing for me! I just went through a period where I didn't log on here for a while and it was only because I was so busy, not because I didn't want to. I'm going to make a point to log on at least once a day so I can stay connected. It totally helps with the journey
christyk28 is offline   Reply With Quote