Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 03-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #1  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Default "On Eating Like A Girl" (TRIGGER WARNING)

I saw this floating around this morning. A terribly sobering depiction of what binge eating is really like. Very graphic. I haven't binged in over a year but this brings it back.

http://thoughtcatalog.com/2013/on-eating-like-a-girl/
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/225/160

Height: 5'10.5

Thanks for sharing this. Something a lot of us don't want to think about I'm sure...I've never been able to do anything like destroying my food when I'm at a risk of binging...I was raised in such a way that food must *never* be wasted.

I really like the way this was written. Sometimes the truth can sting, eh?

Last edited by summerlove; 03-21-2013 at 02:39 PM.
summerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #3  
Staying the Same

I have never destroyed food either, ha. The part that hit home the most was the shame and anxiety of facing cashiers or drive thru workers or delivery people - and the detailed planning of what to watch. Uggghhhhh
Old 03-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 164/--/--

Height: 5'7"

Wow. I have never done any of those things. However, i have to say i was surprised when she had so much patience when going through the checkout line. Usually when i run to the store to buy binge food, it's because i'm already in the middle of a binge and i REALLY need to get in and out as quickly as possible. It's like there's this driving force that makes me need to continue the binge.
surfergirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #5  

Interesting article, thanks for sharing.

I never destroyed food either, I loved it too much. Plus I didn't want to waste it either.

Even when I started my new plan now that I eat, the guilt of not eating the things that my husband doesn't like or want eats away at me (no pun intended). But I started my plan fairly quickly and so many of the items were off limits. I pretty had to make peace with myself that I was worth more than any uneaten food in the cabinet.

Some days I feel like I have come so far but then an article like that awakens the memories like it was yesterday.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

As I finished reading that, I realized the advertisement below it was for Schwan's icecream. LOL
TheWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190.8/see sig/<165

Height: 5 ft 11

Pretty powerful. I have to admit I can relate to destroying food. I have dumped doritos out of the bag into the garbage can so I would quit eating them. But no I have never picked through and tried to eat them after doing so. Also I totally relate to the checkout shame. I used to buy a bag or doritos or a frozen pizza or something of that sort at least once a week on my way home and everytime I swear it would be the same cashier, who at that time of night was the only one on duty. I would be so embarrassed and feel like she was judging me. Even worse, one time she told me how the bigger size queso dip was on sale and a much better deal. I blushed and said thanks but I don't want a bigger one.

Ugh! I hope I am never buying late night junk food again!

Thanks for sharing. Even though I can't relate to all of this. It was both a wake up call to a place I don't want to find myself, as well as relief that I am not the only person who has had moments of shame over food.
wannaBfitnessbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

I've destroyed lots of food, so I can relate.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #9  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

Although oddly enough I never became bulimic I definetely have been a binger in my life. This article touch a definite spot in me ( upsetting) can not quite wrap my head around right now.....Thank you for posting Krampas...I must process and not forget!!
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:42 PM   #10  

When that obsession is in full bloom it is truly terrifying. It is a well written truthful piece. What is even more scary is the validation for being "thin" that she describes from the family. Example I can graduate with honors from a good school but what they remember is how svelte I looked in my grad dress. Skewed priorities that unfortunately skew/screw
our lives.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #11  
Staying the Same

I made a post in this subforum just about two years ago where I had a similar thought process:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
Binged again last night and before I was even fully awake today. I weighed myself when I got up. Nearly 6 lbs up from Friday morning. It is disgusting and I look pregnant and feel too sick to exercise.

I'm sad because this is my last festival weekend in Japan, and I want to remember it for the great times I had, not for the horrible guilt and bloat of living between binges. Yesterday was wonderful all day and well into the night - I wasn't binging, I was laughing and smiling and creating wonderful memories with my friends who I love and will miss deeply when I leave. Some people would guess that I have binged due to stress and denial of this huge change in my life, and maybe they are right, but binging doesn't make it better. It just taints what should be pure, wonderful memories of great experiences.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

I've never destroyed food, but I have thrown it out and have never had the urge to try to get the coffee grounds which inevitably end up on top of the bag off since most of them end up on the floor -- how was that for a run on sentence. It was a graphically depicted story. WOW! Personally, when I was still going to the store to get chips and chocolate and ice cream for a binge, I would always add in a bag of lettuce to "fool" them. I have to admit, the cashiers at the little store in town here have never acted like I was doing anything wrong.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #13  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

I come from an Italian background and appreciate the article. It's hard to live with people who encourage you to eat for comfort but give you not-so-subtle approving glances when you *don't* eat.

A time or two I fished something out of the garbage, years ago. I learned a lot about myself in that time, about how I handle stress and anxiety. I started to destroy the food and never got to the point where I would go after it anyway.

I'm a lot better now. I wish for everyone not to have to feel this way.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

I hate binging. It is such a sad and helpless feeling. That article touched me. I've destroyed food by putting it in the garbage (potato chips, chocolate covered pretzels, dips etc). As a germ-a-phobe, I'd be hard-pressed to go in the trash for food... But, I do get it.

I've also felt like the checkout person was silently judging me. And, during a days-long binge, I've often suspected the McDonald's drive-thru person would think, "Wow, you again!! It's been 3 days in a row!"
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #15  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

The part that really hit me was the "day food" and "night food". You'll never see things like chips, cookies ect on my big grocery shopping trips. Those things always end up getting bought at around 9pm when I feel like I will murder someone if I don't get whatever I am craving. Its pretty sad actually.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote