Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-26-2013, 11:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/194/140

Height: 5'2"

Default At home exercise. Where to begin?

Ok, I'm really new to all of this and I was wondering if anyone had an easy at home exercise I could easily do. I don't know many exercises so I'm kinda adding random ones we used to do in gym class that I remember. It gets me going and I feel like I'm working out, but I want myself to work a little harder and actually sweat. I don't like DVD's and rather just do something I can do to music. Also, I have no equipment and don't really like running. I plan on walking once the weather breaks, but I need something til then. Please help me?
sherry1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 140/138/110

do a workout video on youtube, off the sound, turn on some music, I do that sometimes. You can try the befit in 90 cardio workout on youtube. It makes you sweat, or anything jillian michaels on youtube
LoseitLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

I know you don't like exercise videos but I'd recommend doing those if you have little equipment. After the first/second go around you can turn the sound off and listen to music. I'd recommend any of Jillian Michaels, you can start with the 30 Day Shred, but she also has Body Revolution and Ripped in 30. All you need are hand weights. If you want something harder there's always P90x or Insanity, but I think you need more equipment for those.

I personally am just getting back into exercising after way too long off so I've downloaded some apps which I go off of. That and I can't jump around the house because the neighbours complained, so JM is off limits! They are strength training focusing on different regions of your body, I've got arms, abs, legs and butt. They were free, though you can upgrade to get more variety. I can't remember what they are called but if you have a smart phone/ipod I'm sure you can search around the app stores and find them.
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:24 AM   #4  
Struggling Cyster

S/C/G: 293/293/180

Height: 5'5"

I love Walk Away the Pounds! I used to do her videos all the time! They start out easy just to get you going and then over time, she has harder and harder ones. Honestly, they are the only videos I ever stuck too!
Smurlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I would use a workout video even if you don't like them. Use them as company, use them for the moves while you put on different music, use them to make sure you keep moving for the whole time of the video.

Go retro - get some old Jane Fonda or Denise Austin videos to keep you entertained while you sweat!
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:01 AM   #6  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

There are tons of exercises you can do just using your own body weight as the resistance... If you really hate DVD's than just look for some on line or pick up a book that has them.... Something like "You Are Your Own Gym" might me worth checking out...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 260/233/shop in "reg" stores

Height: 5' 4

i've tried a few different things at home to. i had a bike, have an elliptical, plus a few other machines over the years and i always got bored. what i'm finding now that works best for me is workout videos and a few different ones. i really like Jillian Michaels cause the moves are not crazy or hard but they do work your body out. good luck and kick some butt
gwenaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:54 PM   #8  
Sayra

Height: 5'4

If you like dance you could look up dance vids from YouTube, something easy to begin with like bellydancing, and then practice individual steps to work that part of your body. So, for instance, spending time working on hip circles or snake arms is still burning calories (and depending on speed/duration will get the heart rate up). If you have wrist weights or ankle weights then adding those in will make it a harder and more of a work out. And once you have steps down its just a matter of putting on music you like and dancing round your living-room. Make a playlist, put it on random, and dance to how ever many songs you feel up to that day- although, to stop you doing what I sometimes do when I'm feeling lazy/demotivated and stopping after half a song, you could decide a minimum number of songs to dance to at a time and then just go with it beyond that.
slw2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:10 AM   #9  
Maintaining since 2013

S/C/G: Sz 20/Sz 8/Maintain

Height: 5'11

What worked for me was trying different videos and workouts. I used to buy what worked for others, but didn't like it myself so it ended up collecting dust on the shelf!

I discovered I like following a full workout routine - I prefer not to follow a book or a short video that show you how to do a move and tell you to do 3 add'l sets etc.

Trying different videos made me realize I enjoy low impact, but effective workouts with nice instructors. Walk Away The Pounds has been the answer for me for cardio (and I occasionally use lightweights) and Blogilates (free on YouTube) for toning and sculpting. Both has been the only thing I have stuck to consistently for more than 1 month.

I've lost 80 lbs working out at home with no diet plan or gym membership (I do take a weigh-training class once per week however) so it can be done!

Good luck!
SunnySide99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:16 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurlene View Post
I love Walk Away the Pounds! I used to do her videos all the time! They start out easy just to get you going and then over time, she has harder and harder ones. Honestly, they are the only videos I ever stuck too!
I love these too and do them 3-4 times a week. It's a harder workout than just my treadmill or walking around my neighborhood (hello sideway knee lifts 4x a side! Those might kill me someday...).

I also think the 30 minute workout is harder than her 45 minute workout!

Good luck whatever you choose, exercise is so important in my life now and I love it!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:01 AM   #11  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

I record Denise Austin's 30 mins shows everyday. (I have Directv) I work out to her, and try to do extra workouts like take my dog for a long walk or do some stretching here and there. You could look up some yoga moves and incorporate them throughout the day.
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:39 PM   #12  

The fitnessblender channel on Youtube has a huge range of free exercises (including 10-minute routines and a bunch of stuff that doesn't require equipment). They're nice for variation.
broccolikatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #13  

Just start out with five or ten min workouts and take it from there. After that, gradually workout your way up to 15 or 20 min workouts. Don't burn yourself out and workout too many times per week. Also, I recommend varying the workouts often so you won't get bored.
pcdoctor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:33 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 198/164/140

Height: 5'5

Have you heard of the 30 day squat challenge? Im on day 4 and it only takes a few minutes x
Missthomas is offline   Reply With Quote