Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #1  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Default Recurrent emotional cycles

I'm experiencing an emotional cycle today. Not really a bipolar sort of thing, but it is something that happens to me on occasion, throughout all my life. It used to be far more frequent, but as my overall level of stress has reduced over time, these cycles have diminished. At the moment, I'm feeling a level of frustration, like the responsibilities of life are all piling up on me all at once. That's not actually occuring, it just feels like it.

What's different now is that I'm not running to food to block the emotions. Really, I would burn through a whole loaf of sourdough bread and a cube of butter, plus lots of pasta and cheese, in the past. My body can't handle that any more, and I want to have a much stronger sense of wellness.

I want to figure out how to deal with this, rationally and effectively. I don't want to take pills (I used to be on anti-anxiety and anti-depressant meds). I don't know why I have these cycles occur, but it feels good to face them. There's too much of my life left for me to enjoy. I don't care to give up another moment to falling into a pit of despair.

Just writing this out helps at the moment. I'm going to cardio class in a little bit. Hoping that'll help too.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

I am at the exact spot. I am thinking of taking up running.... just for the relief from the cycles....

I hope you find your peace.... I am looking for mine as well.
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:51 AM   #3  
Renaissance Woman

Thanks for the support, Lady. Hope running helped you. Cardio class did the trick for me, plus some weight lifting. Always puts me in a better mood.

I came home and did some major tidying in the kitchen, rode my broom around the house (sons and dog scattered to the winds) and now I'm hitting a sort of wired high and can't sleep. Perhaps I'll get off the computer and step out to the backyard for a bit. Hoping the cool air will help me get sleepy.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #4  
NeNe

S/C/G: 200/187/165

Height: 5'6"

I am glad to hear the exercise worked to ease your tension. It is also great to hear both of you acknowledge you have a problem and to address it before it gets out of control. Back when I was a paramedic, you just wouldn't believe the number of patients I picked up because they let life's issues take over their life and they became so overwhelmed they hit really low places and many with really bad outcomes. If I have an episode like you describe, I ALWAYS turn to junk and/or fatty comfort foods. You both are doing great.

Last edited by firegirl441; 03-30-2013 at 06:01 PM.
firegirl441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #5  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Losing weight has greatly eased my anxiety. That and walking. I guess carrying the extra weight made me less able to cope with life's things.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #6  
Formerly LittleMoonRabbit

S/C/G: 167/maintenance/120

Height: 5'2"

I too have recurring cycles of depression. They never last long, and they are bearable, but when I am going through it, I feel like a bit of a basket case. It's never been enough to convince me to try meds or anything like that... I just wait for the periods to pass.

I am glad that exercise was able to help!
PlayingForKeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #7  
Renaissance Woman

Been doing some reading on dopamine and cortisol levels. I had mine tested, and my levels are everywhere but where they are supposed to be. This is why I'm not able to make good choices or get a good night's sleep. It affects everything. Found a website that says it can all be fixed with dietary changes, cutting way back on use of the electronics (computer, Kindle, phone, etc.) and making the bedroom really dark at night.

I even got a pair of sunglasses that filters blue-light (emitted by TV, computers and phones). I put them on by 7 p.m. to help my body produce more melatonin on it's own. Just got them today, so I'll let you know how well they work.

I am feeling so much more motivated this week. It's the upswing of cycle. I'll just ride this out and enjoy it. And get stuff done!
Old 04-10-2013, 10:51 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/215/160

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

This is a little bit different than what everyone is saying in this tread, but since I started my weight loss I have been going from very excited and happy about my weight loss to very frustrated and ready to give up. I have only been losing weight for about 8 weeks now, but I can go from the high to the low mood in a matter of hours. I've talked to my doctor and I am not bipolar, but I feel like I am when I have these shifts. I have lost 15.4 lbs in 8 weeks and although that is good, I feel, I feel like I am not doing enough and it should be coming off faster. I am at about an average of 2 lbs a week, but I have weeks where I lose 3+ lbs and other weeks where I gain 1/2 a lb.

Has anyone else experienced these feelings or am I alone here? I feel like I'm alone haha
gracie1887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #9  
Renaissance Woman

Gracie, you're not alone. I think what you are experiencing is very normal, especially for someone who is not a well-seasoned dieter. You might have some unrealistic expectations about weight loss and your body. It is definitely NOT a linear thing, despite what we think should be happening.

I have found that exercising some self-compassion goes a long way when it comes to losing weight. You're probably at a plateau, and parts of your body are trying to catch up with what is going on. You may find that you are losing inches rather than pounds right now.