General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200+/168/130

Height: 5'2''

Default Intermittent Fasting

I watched a BBC documentary tonight that talked about some of the health benefits of fasting, specifically intermittent fasting.

http://documentaryheaven.com/eat-fast-and-live-longer/

I've seen intermittent fasting mentioned around the forums before and it's always caught my eye but I've never really looked into it. Anyone with any experience with it?

I did a quick google perusal and found some warnings about IF's effects on women vs men. I'm currently pregnant so it's not an option atm but my husband and I both found the concept very interesting and want to look into it more.

Although the weight loss aspect seems pretty straight forward (overall it'll reduce your caloric intake after all) I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience with other health benefits or has heard of the other impacts it can have on your health?
CanadianMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:01 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I am having great success with it but you are right - it's not for doing while pregnant! I'm male.

The trick I have found is not to just eat what you want (e.g. junk food, processed food) when you do eat but to make sure that what you do eat is balanced and healthy (e.g. I eat salads).

I have breakfast, lunch and skip dinner. I'm done eating by 1pm every day. I sleep better as it gives my digestive system a rest (I used to eat way too late at night even when I was not feeling hungry). My skin is better too. I do drink a whole lot of beer though and I make that exempt from the fast (contraversial but it works for me).

However, I am severely obese (you're not) and not pregnant (you are). I also take vitamins just in case.

Don't do it if you are pregnant. Please. (I think I have said that enough now!)

Last edited by IanG; 03-26-2013 at 10:17 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #3  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

There are a couple of extremely large intermittent fasting threads around these parts.

I've been intermittent fasting for somewhere around 30 months and usually eat 2 times a day. I'll never go back to 5-6 meals a day.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #4  
Trying to be in the 160s

Yeah, read John's "Maintaining for two years and I eat whatever I want - just not however much I want. Details here" post.

It just about sums it up. Wish every fat guy would know this.

I wish I'd known it.

Last edited by IanG; 03-26-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200+/168/130

Height: 5'2''

Thanks for the replies Ian and John.

I've found a few of the threads on here about IF and am currently working my way through the plethora of posts. I was hoping to hear about general health benefits as well as the weight loss people have experienced.

And just to reiterate; I have no intention of starting IF while pregnant, just curious about other's experiences with it.
CanadianMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:38 PM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

Rapid (perhaps too rapid?) weight loss.
Better sleep.
Better skin.
No sore knees any more.
No chest pain any more.
Jock itch gone.
Itchy skin gone.

That's my list.

Last edited by IanG; 03-26-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:36 AM   #7  
Struggling Cyster

S/C/G: 293/293/180

Height: 5'5"

Does this plan work for insulin resistance, too? I have been told forever to eat 5 or 6 times per day to keep my blood sugar steady. (I don't have diabetes.) I have wondered all along about whether that works or not.

My husband has always been an intermittent faster. At 52 he is slim and in great shape and doesn't go to the gym.
Smurlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:37 AM   #8  
Struggling Cyster

Also, what time do you go to bed? My work keeps me up every night from betwen midnight and 2 pm. When would you quit eating if you were on that schedule? I get up at 8:30
Old 03-27-2013, 03:35 AM   #9  

Height: 5'3"

I generally eat twice a day and this has always been normal for me. I have never found the need for lunch. Been doing it for years even before IF was popular or known about.
I saw that same BBC documentary and liked it.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #10  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurlene View Post
Does this plan work for insulin resistance, too? I have been told forever to eat 5 or 6 times per day to keep my blood sugar steady. (I don't have diabetes.) I have wondered all along about whether that works or not.

My husband has always been an intermittent faster. At 52 he is slim and in great shape and doesn't go to the gym.
Yes - you need to be cautious of course but from what I have read most people find that fewer meals actually improves blood sugar levels.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:26 PM   #11  
Struggling Cyster

Thank you! I am going to look into it. The funny thing is...sometimes I have weird blood sugar stuff after I have eaten lunch, even when it is a good lunch of protein, veg, and a small piece of fruit.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #12  
I hate gravity

The one getting all the attention recently is The Fast Diet, also known as the 5:2 diet, where you sharply restrict your calories on 2 non-consecutive days a week and then eat "normally" the other 5 days. (whatever that means)
I doubt this would be effective for huge losses of weight although research shows it does improve health.
Other I.F. versions include Fast-5, where you fast 19 hours, then eat your meals in any five hour span of time, Eat-Stop-Eat, and the Alternate Day Diet, also known as JUDDD.
Anyone having long-term success on ANY of these? Please share your experiences. I could sure use some motivation!

Last edited by BigSky; 03-29-2013 at 05:11 PM.
BigSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #13  
I hate gravity

I read up on the Warrior diet also. It seems to be tailored more for athletes. How long have you been doing it, any success?
Old 04-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #14  
Embracing the suck

Of the intermittent fasting plans I personally feel the "Warrior diet" is the weakest one from a health perspective.

I'd like to see some research done but one thing fasting does is increase cortisol levels and such a long fasting period daily could have some undesireable effects.

Obviously stress levels vary by the person so for some this might be great.

Just my opinion based on what I've read.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #15  
I hate gravity

I have also read that the one-meal-a-day form of intermittent fasting does some undesirable things to your blood chemistry - high triglycerides, elevated insulin, etc. But the studies didn't say what type of food these people were eating. I myself would want to pig out on bad foods if I only ate once in 24 hours. I'm currently trying a form of I.F. where I fast daily for 19 hours only, then eat 2 meals during a 5 hour "window". I tried other versions, but this has been the easiest for me yet.