UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 333lbs/333lbs/200lbs 20/03/201

Height: 180cm

Default Southern Newbie

Hi all,

I came across this site by accident while Googling 'gallbladder removed overweight' as I'm scheduled to go into hospital on monday (25/3) to have my gallbladder removed. I currently weigh just over 24stone so my biggest worry is my weight with the general anaesthetic.
Most of my weight is on my hips and thighs but I'm massive nonetheless.

Anyway, after reading some of the forums, I thought I'd join.
I started using a Thinking Slimmer Slimpod and Fitpod around 2 weeks ago so have already started steps to losing the weight. I'm hoping this will work as I've done everything else.

Anyway, my name's Gem, I'm in Portsmouth and would love some support on this journey.
Looking forward to meeting you all x
GemGem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #2  

Hi Gem,

I have my hospital appointment on Friday to see what they are going to do about my gallstones but suspect I will be following you to theatre in the future. Good luck with the weight loss and the op. Do you mind me asking how long you have had to wait for the surgery? I'm a teacher and I'm trying to work out if I will be having the op before or after the exam season but can't find anything about waiting times.
Athel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #3  

Hi Athel,

I had confirmation of the gallstones 2 weeks ago after a scan. The following weekend I was taken to A&E with a colic attack where they decided they were going to remove it. However, because it was the weekend, they decided I could go home and be put on a waiting list instead. My partner called them a couple of times and hassled them about when it was likely to happen but they couldn't give him an answer.
Anyway, on Monday this week, I got a letter saying it could take anything up to 18 weeks to be seen. Then yesterday I got another letter telling me that I'm booked in for Monday 25th!

I actually started writing this reply last night but had to stop as I ended up back in A&E on morphine as the pain started up again. I discharged myself late last night as it was easing plus they were trying to take it out last night which I didn't want as I have to drive to Nottingham tomorrow morning and wanted to be ok to do so.

Anyway, if you're waiting to be booked for surgery, my recommendation is to hassle them a bit. The more pain you're in, the quicker they'll act. Also, if your pain starts up at home, go to A&E every time - that way they'll see you're suffering and are more likely to get you in sooner.
My 'journey' from diagnosis to removal will be less than 3 weeks. The Easter hols are coming soon so give a little reminder that you're still waiting and in pain.

Hope that helps xx
Old 03-22-2013, 04:54 AM   #4  

Wow, that is quick! I had my first bad attack in November following on from minor attacks that started in July, diagnosed in January, first hospital appointment today. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a quick op then (although I'm a teacher and I could really do with them waiting until after the GCSEs are done). My last attack 2 weeks ago resulted in a blocked bile duct with severely compromised liver function and 6 days of vomiting everything I put in my mouth including liquids if I had more than a sip at a time, my GP just doesn't seem to care.

I'll be thinking about you on Monday!
Old 03-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #5  

Height: 5'8.5"

Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #6  

Wow Athel, you've been diagnosed since January and they've not done anything about it yet? That's mad! Where in the country are you?
The recovery is pretty quick going on what I've read so I wouldn't put it off until the summer if I were you. Your quality of life won't be brilliant with all that pain.

Well I had mine removed today. I'm back home in bed now resting. Had normal keyhole surgery with no complications.
The surgeon came to see me afterwards to tell me that my gallbladder was in terrible condition, it was badly infected and very swollen so had taken longer than necessary to remove.
My throats dry and croaky from the tube being down it and I have a pain in my shoulder from where they inflate you to see what they're doing. Other than this, I feel generally tender.
I've been told not to exert myself for a month so that means no gym this month (actually a bit gutted about that). But once the stitches have healed, I'll start up with gentle swimming.

Was mortified when they weighed me before surgery though, my weight has crept up to 24st 7lbs. When I have more time and aren't so tired, I'll explain more about the difficulties I have with my weight. I wasn't pleased though.

Anyway, Hollyoaks is about to start and I need a wee so I'll post again tomorrow.

Try and hassle the hospital about your appointment Athel, hope it goes well. xx
Old 03-26-2013, 06:56 AM   #7  

Really glad your op has gone ok and that you're not too sore.

I've seen the consultant now and I have to have an mri scan before I can have to op to check if any of the stones are stuck in my bile duct. I'm in London so everything is pretty overstretched in the NHS here.