Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #1  

Unhappy First run - worse than I expected!

Ok so as you can see from my numbers I'm still pretty big to be running, but I talked to my doctor about how I'm dying to do the couch25k program, and she thought it would be a really great idea as long as I took it slow. Well I've been waiting for the weather to warm up and the trails to clear, so I haven't officially started yet, but while I was walking my dog tonight, I decided to see where I was at. I started running (more of a jog, definitely not full out sprint), and I could only go for maybe fifteen seconds before I had to stop! Now I knew I wasn't going to be able to run a marathon or anything, but I felt like that was kind of ridiculous. I walked it off for maybe a minute before trying again (did this three times), and each time my lungs were like omg please stop before thirty seconds. I feel discouraged by this, but I'm determined not to throw in the towel before I've even begun.

My question is, how slow is too slow? Is there even such a thing too little when you're just starting out? Thanks in advance for your tips & advice
thinkfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:44 PM   #2  

That is a great start! Every little bit will make your lungs stronger. My first time out running was really spent mostly walking....But, I stuck with it and have now run 6 1/2 marathons. Keep at it!
asjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

HI thinkfit! I SOOOO feel you on this! I have been really wanting to do C25K as well (wanna be long-distance accountability buddies?Haha) I am your size and recently purchased a treadmill. I felt SO discouraged at first! I seriously can't jog at a 5mph pace for longer than a minute. I have mostly been walking about 3mph for now. We may have a long way to go, but you are out there trying, and every moment you put into it is adding up. Congrats on your success thus far!
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:33 PM   #4  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Don't feel bad! When I first started, I was able to do close to what you were doing. 15-20 seconds and then I needed a full 3ish minutes to recover. It slowly got better. Keep up the great work.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #5  

Wow, I'm so relieved! haha I really thought I was like, below rock bottom. Thank you guys so much for replying, it's inspiring to know starting so small isn't a waste of time. Can't wait to be where you are! I think I'll keep doing what I did today then for a while before I start the program.

Lecomtes - That would actually be really awesome! It's slowly but surely warming up around here, I'm guessing the snow and ice will be gone by April, but I'm not sure I can wait that long lol. I do a lot of walking since we don't have a yard and my dog needs to get exercise somehow, so even if I don't start C25K until April, we'll have that at least!
Old 03-23-2013, 12:36 AM   #6  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

When I started C25K a few years ago, not only could I not do the 60 seconds of running on the first day, I couldn't even complete the full 20 minutes. I mean, seriously, I thought I was having a heart attack and sorta limped home after not quite 15 minutes! But you know what? I stuck with it and 6 weeks later did my first 5K race! I walked a lot of it but it sure was a huge improvement from dying after a few minutes! C25K is awesome and amazing!

Also, make sure you're not trying to run too fast. If you're sprinting, you're gonna tire quickly (and be gasping for air). Just get a good running form and go a teensy bit above a swift walk. Distance first, speed second. Once you can run a mile, work on running that mile faster.

Good luck and have fun!
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:48 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 210/185/137

Height: 5'8"

There's no such thing as starting too slow and it's great that you're so committed to trying. Your body will adjust to this very quickly and after a solid month of running I think you will see pretty major progress. Don't get discouraged! You're doing great!
gymrat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:14 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 205/188/140

Height: 5' 4"

I think I started with 30 seconds run 4 min walk, but it also took me FOREVER to get to 5k....waaaaaaaaaaaaaay longer than the program said (like a month or two more than it said). Do what you can do and as long as you improve slowly (doesn't matter how slowly) you're great. Compare yourself to yourself week by week, not others.

Last edited by tea2; 03-23-2013 at 01:15 AM.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:08 AM   #9  
Michelle :D

S/C/G: 85/64.1/56

Height: 164cm

Dont feel discouraged!
Just take baby steps, even if you are only running 15secs its more than you did yesterday, and its a start - and you will be surprised how quickly your body will get used to the running after a few weeks!
Well done on getting started!
Fortunate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:09 AM   #10  

Thank you so much, everyone! Your responses mean the world.

One more question - can I do this every day? I know that's something to talk to the doctor about, but I'm just wondering how you guys do it. Do you have off days or is it just daily routine? I'm excited to progress and I want to keep at it
Old 03-23-2013, 03:29 AM   #11  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

If you're not doing it for hours, there is really no reason why you can not do it everyday. Take a break every now and then and on days where your muscles are sore, but I can't seeing running/jogging/walking for 30 minutes everyday being any issue. If your body feels fine, go ahead and do it!
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:32 AM   #12  

Awesome, that's what I figured. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2013, 03:49 AM   #13  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Thinkfit - if you do the C25K they advise you to only do the programme every other day. Part of this is because your joints aren't used to the impact - and they need to 'toughen up' and the muscles around them which support them need to strengthen up. There's no reason you can't do other exercise...but try to keep the impact down, swimming, yoga, aqua class, just walking - that sort of thing. One day you'll be able to run every day if you want to! But I can tell you, I tried to do too much too soon without the c25k one time and I ended up with a serious injury - torn calf muscle. That sucks. Doing c25K I've been injury free. (Since picked up some other ones, but hey, that's rugby). No disrespect to Candeka but she hasn't experienced the kind of impact a heavy body running can put on your joints and muscles.

The great thing about the c25K (for me) was that I knew how much i was expected to do and that it would be over. If I tried to run on my own I would let self-defeating thoughts weigh me down. "You can't do this. You're too unfit. You're too slow. You're not a runner." So on and so on. But listening to the progamme I was like "Ok, it's only a minute, you're not gonna die. As long as you're picking up your feet in a jog like motion that's all that counts."

So go for it! Don't be discouraged if you have a bad week. Just keep going. Repeat weeks if you need to. Keep moving even if you need a longer rest from running some weeks. And most of all - enjoy!!
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:00 AM   #14  

I only plan to do this little fifteen seconds here and there kind of thing on my daily walks for a bit, when I start C25K I will most definitely follow it exactly as they've written it. Yikes about your injury! Thanks for letting me know, I'll be sure to be extra careful cause I am still pretty heavy and I'd rather not put myself out of commission cause I got impatient haha. That's exactly what I liked about the program! I've tried running before but I felt like it was just impossible, but like you said, I can handle a minute! I think it's definitely a big mind thing, but hey, I'm not complaining. Thank you very much for your input!
Old 03-23-2013, 04:16 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

Hey thinkfit, do you use My Fitness Pal? I just started, my name on there is yesterdayusaid2morrow. If you add me, we can keep in touch when you are ready to start C25K.
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote