View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
ForeverVivid

S/C/G: 291/234/170

Height: 5'9"

I had my surgery on March 5th in Mexico. I flew in the night before and got to enjoy myself for a night with my Dad, who was my companion. I was the first person to have the surgery the next day, so I went under the knife around 9:30 am. I couldn't tell you when they brought me back to my room, because I slept hard for the entire first day. The few times that I did wake up, I was aware that my throat was quite sore, and it hurt to breath due to the gas in my abdomen. But the pain was not back enough to keep me from sleeping.

I was not able to drink/eat anything or walk at all during the first day. The doctors came in a gave me different medications (pain, anti-biotics, etc) throughout the day and night. I also had to get two shots in my arms. One was a blood thinner, the other was insulin because the stress of the surgery caused my blood sugar to rise a bit. I also started using the nebulizer and spirometer the first night. I was only able to move one ball the first night.

The following day, I was able to start walking, which only helped the gas pain minimally. My throat was no longer sore, but the gas caused a lot of discomfort. My incisions and stomach never caused me much pain. They were a little tender of course, but nothing excessive. I still had my IV and continued to receive anti-biotics, pain meds, etc. The main thing during the second day was lots of walking. Still nothing to eat or drink.

On the second day after surgery, I had my leak test in the morning. I drank 4 oz. of nasty awfulness quickly, so they could scan and track the barium, and everything looked good. SO my IV was taken out, and I was given a popsicle. I was amazing, but I could only eat half of it. The dressings were checked and changed and we were sent back to the hotel. I continued to walk as much as I could, but spent most of the day taking it easy.

On the third day, I was feeling well enough to go out and stroll around one of the malls for a couple hours. We had to go back and get our dressings changed again, and they gave us all of our medications (stomach protector, antacid, pain meds, anti-biotic) and all of the post-op instructions, as well as surgical report and the image from our leak test. I was keeping down clear fluids just fine, including jello, gatorade, and chicken broth. I had very little pain at this point, almost no gas pain, and I never had any nausea. I felt pretty good, but I got tired very easily.

The next day ended up being a 22 hour travel day. Up very early in the morning, and then flown all over the US before finally reaching Canada thanks to our first flight being cancelled. Then, a late night drive to get us the rest of the way home at almost mid-night. This I would not recommend. I was in general very sore (mostly my back from all the sitting) and exhausted from all the travel.

Every day since, I have felt better and better. I healed incredibly well, I am now in my full fluid stage and haven't had any problems keeping anything down. My medications go down easier than within the first few days. I would recommend taking one pill at a time, and waiting a few minutes in between at the start. I am off of work for 3 weeks, because I have a very physical job (but no heavy lifting). My family Dr. is very happy with my progress so far.

All in all, the first two days I would say were rough, but so very worth it. Each day gets better and better.
ForeverVivid is offline   Reply With Quote