Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #1  
Updating my software ;)

S/C/G: KGs: 82 / ?? / 55

Height: 5ft

Default Tips for sciatica.

Recently, probably due to my weight issues, I have noticed that my sciatica nerve plays up when I do physical activity (walking or running for long-ish periods). It isn't problem enough that I can't do my exercise, but afterwards it does tend to ache when I move around.

What I would like to know is if anyone has any tips on stretches or general management/prevention of the pain?
I have seen a doctor about it, while I was in asking about different aches and pains, and not much attention was given to it-which makes me think that the pain I'm getting isn't cause for surgery or pain relief (if you know what I mean?).

I only have one stretch where I pull my knee up to my chest, and then I grab my ankle and bring that to my stomach. I feel it stretching my nerve, though sometimes I can feel pain during my workout.

Last edited by Rhiko; 03-21-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Rhiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Exercises for Sciatica :

Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

What helps me is trying to make space in my back where my nerve is pinching, rather than trying to stretch it more.

I lie on my back and bring my knee up, then I push my knee away with my hand while still trying to bring it in towards my chest, so that my hand and knee are working against each other. I do this several times a day when my sciatic nerve is acting up.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #4  
LRH

S/C/G: 152/132/127

Height: 5'5"

I got sciatica once after running quite a bit. I went for a therapeutic massage. After just one session, I never had the problem again. Maybe it was a fluke, but that's what worked for me. I hope you get better soon.
LRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #5  

Test
ibobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #6  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I don't have sciatica... but I've definitely had back pain for various reasons over the years... I recently went ahead an bought an inversion table after wanting one for a very long time... and all I can say is it really is amazing... I can't believe the difference it's already made... I've only been using it for about 10 minutes at a time, but even that little bit of time really does make a difference... It is really nice to just hop on it after a run or sitting too long at the computer and within minutes by back pain is practically gone...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #7  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I've found that my sciatic issues have drastically improved since I started swimming. I don't do laps per say, but I move around in the water and do various exercises, many of which mimic those stretches illustrated above.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 199/159/135

Height: 5'4.5"

Personally I go to the chiropractor (been going since I was 8 yrs old), but some people are afraid of them. If you do go, make sure you go to someone with a good rep. Acupuncture is also awesome for sciatica.
The exercises that Ilene put up are great. The exercise physiologist at my chiropractor has me do all of those. You can also google yoga for sciatica for some more.
Seashell84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #9  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

I don't have sciatic issues but have a sacroiliac joint that gets out of whack....I'm a waitress. Between chiropractor visits I started searching online for exercises that might help.

Do a search for " do it yourself joint pain relief". A man named GaryCrowley has videos of specific exercises for specific conditions....sciaticia included. It resolves my issue now every time.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

Height: 5'6"

Acupuncture and yoga. Hot yoga is what healed my back!
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #11  
Rachel

S/C/G: 295ish/278.4/145

When I first started working out again after a loooong time off, I had really bad sciatic pain. After doing a bunch of reading, I found out that tight glutes (specifically the piriformis) can compress the sciatic nerve, causing sharp pain. I bought a foam roller and started using it to stretch out my glutes, as well as every other muscle, and the pain was gone after a couple of uses. I was sore at first, but as long as I keep up the foam rolling I am pain free.
Keep Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #12  
Updating my software ;)

S/C/G: KGs: 82 / ?? / 55

Height: 5ft

Thank you for all your tips! They all sound as good as each other

I find it strange that I'm getting these pains now considering I played soccer for 15 years and never got it once. Maybe it's because I'm getting older lol Or as I'm getting older I'm doing less..?
Rhiko is offline   Reply With Quote