Old 03-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 183/154/140

Height: 5'2"

Default Help with seasonings

I just read the thread about whether sausauges were okay on Phase 1, and all the great recipes to make your own reminded me of this.

Penzey's Spices are a mail order spice company. In addition to single spices, they have many, many blends. Including sausage seasonings (which is what got me thinking.)

Anyway, many of the blends are salt free, and have only spices in them. No added starches, msg, etc.

Some of my favorites include the Sweet Curry Powder (that I use when I saute cauliflower), Mural of Flavor (great on fish), and Pizza Seasoning.

I hope you find something you like!
FlooNimbus13127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Awesome resource! I looked it up and can actually go to one that's in my area (not real close, but I definitely pass the area every month or so!)

Thanks!
Laurie
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 202.4/161/145

Height: 5' 6"

Penzey's has some great stuff, for sure!

I had posted in another thread about the RealSalt brand of seasonings, but just in case someone comes to visit this one...

RealSalt has an organic all-purpose seasoning as well as an onion salt and a garlic salt. They are all fantastic! And it is nice to have a seasoning salt with no starch, msg, etc that is organic and made with sea salt. I highly recommend them. I use the seasoning salt on everything! Super good on roasted veggies!
GreatLakes86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #4  
Starting over: 7/29/2015

S/C/G: 257/251/150

Height: 5'3"

LOVE Penzey's!! It was the only place I could find a lemon pepper seasoning that didn't contain sugar. (I have no idea why lemon pepper needs sugar!)
I like Arizona Dreaming, which is sort of a Mexican seasoning. I mix up a flatbread with the potato puree, saute some peppers or zucchini in the Arizona Dreaming spice. It sort of reminds me of eating a veggie fajita!
I actually have the Mural of Flavor, will have to try that on fish!
tam67green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 326/SEE TRACKER/163

Height: 5'7"

I love the buttermilk ranch, I mix it with Waldenfarms alfredo sauce in my rotini, there is also a parmesan cheese that I use also; all 0/0/0
MSDEEDEE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:37 AM   #6  
IP- a journey; not a race

S/C/G: 245/188/168

Height: 5'4" 41yo

Thanks for the info!
JenRem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:27 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 232/177/145

Height: 5'5"

I'm a big Penzey's fan If you're lucky enough to live near one of their stores, they have sample jars so you can take a good whif of all the choices. I guarantee you'll walk out with a big bag of goodies. They use high quality ingredients with high turnover, so everything's always fresh. They continue to add salt-free blends. Some of my favorites:

Sunny Paris, Foxpoint and Tuscan Sunset are all great in the IP Omelet and the IP soups/veggie purees. All 3 make a great base for a vinaigrette or sprinkled on veggies for roasting.

2nd vote for Arizona Dreamin' -- in a chili made with ground turkey and diced veggies (zucchini, peppers, green onion.) Chili 3000 works nicely, too.

Chicago Steak Seasoning or Mitchell Street Steak Seasoning on steaks or burgers. I mix 'em both in my ground round for Burger in a Bowl. Chicago has a stronger smokey flavor while Mitchell Street is more herby-savory. Note: Both blends contain sugar, though carbs are less than 1 gram, so for now I keep it to 1/2 tsp for 4 servings and add extra garlic and pepper.

Bavarian Seasoning on pork tenderloin with some fresh garlic and parsley. Roast at 425 for 20 to 25 minutes. Perfect every time.

Northwoods and/or Smoked Paprika with sea salt on kale chips.

Curry or Vindaloo in the IP Chicken Soup with cauliflower puree or on roasted cauliflower.

Greek Seasoning on broiled or grilled zucchini.

Florida Pepper on grilled or sauteed shrimp.

I could go on...

A friend asked me if I wasn't getting sick of IP and "all those vegetables and meat all the time."

Uh, no. See above.
petchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:32 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 250/195/190

Height: 5'11.5"

Wow, I am a foodie and you have showed me something new!
There is a location in Atlanta so now I know where I will be this weekend.
Success is Messy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #9  
Ideal protein user!

S/C/G: 179/158/145

Height: 5'6

When stir frying veggies add mustard! It tastes super awesome!
grazi393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 186.6/126.8/125

Oh, I'm a HUGE Penzey's fan! Of course I'm a bit biased as my Mom works there I don't use anything but Penzey's spices when I cook, they have something for everything and everyone!
Suchawittygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 186.6/126.8/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by petchef View Post

Sunny Paris, Foxpoint and Tuscan Sunset are all great in the IP Omelet and the IP soups/veggie purees. All 3 make a great base for a vinaigrette or sprinkled on veggies for roasting.

2nd vote for Arizona Dreamin' -- in a chili made with ground turkey and diced veggies (zucchini, peppers, green onion.) Chili 3000 works nicely, too.

Chicago Steak Seasoning or Mitchell Street Steak Seasoning on steaks or burgers. I mix 'em both in my ground round for Burger in a Bowl. Chicago has a stronger smokey flavor while Mitchell Street is more herby-savory. Note: Both blends contain sugar, though carbs are less than 1 gram, so for now I keep it to 1/2 tsp for 4 servings and add extra garlic and pepper.

Bavarian Seasoning on pork tenderloin with some fresh garlic and parsley. Roast at 425 for 20 to 25 minutes. Perfect every time.

Northwoods and/or Smoked Paprika with sea salt on kale chips.

Curry or Vindaloo in the IP Chicken Soup with cauliflower puree or on roasted cauliflower.

Greek Seasoning on broiled or grilled zucchini.

Florida Pepper on grilled or sauteed shrimp.
I'm also a HUGE fan of all these!
Suchawittygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:53 AM   #12  
start IP 3-3-13

S/C/G: 282/238/200

Height: 6'1

Ms's dash has some great IP friendly seasonings as well
billbrown72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #13  
IP Start Date 8/31/2012

S/C/G: 250/119/124

Never heard of Penzey's, but googled it and lo and behold, there is one fairly near my house and one very near my work! It was meant to be! : )
AlisonS is offline   Reply With Quote