PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #1  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Protein Drinks for PCOS diet?

Do you use protein drinks/powders/shakes as a part of your diet?
Do you feel it has made a difference in your weight loss?

After watching that Jillian Michaels video, where she says we should be eating "clean, unprocessed food", would protein drinks be off the menu?

Also, do you use it as a meal replacement or as a snack?

Thanks!

Last edited by veggiedawg; 03-21-2013 at 07:18 PM.
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 189.4/173.8/150

Height: 6'

I have found that for pcos going high protein and low carb has worked the best for me. I drink a lot of protein shakes! I just make sure they are super low carb and I'm getting at least 30 grams of protein. My favorite are the chocolate ones from Costco (not the "weight loss shakes") but there's one that just says protein shake, 30g protein! Those are my favorite go to meals when I'm on the run. I also have a scoop of protein powder, 4 strawberries and some ice and water every morning when I don't have time to scramble some eggs. I hope this helps you!
KatieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #3  
Queen of the World

Height: 5'7"

I love protein shakes! I've been a trainer & bodybuilder for 10 years now so I'm sure I've sampled more than my fair share of flavors and brands, but I do recommend to my trainees (and myself) to eat whole food as much as possible. With that being said, protein powder shouldn't hurt anyone's weight loss. Quite often, most women don't get in the necessary amounts of daily protein anyways so it would help in that regard.

I think its a good way to get in a quick source of protein before school, before work, etc. Its better than getting in 200+ calories from a Snickers bar or some other processed junk you could grab in a hurry. I'm talking about a low-carb whey protein powder here (not crappy meal replacement shakes which are half sugar and a bunch of sweeteners/fillers). I used to do protein powder with plain water and now I add a cup of unsweetened almond milk.

I've used it as both a meal replacement (for example, 2 scoops with some brown rice cakes) or normally right after a workout to get some liquid nutrition right into my muscle cells to start repair/recovery after hitting the weights at the gym. LoL--Clearly by this lengthy response its obvious I like protein!
Quadzilla12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I'm not a big fan, to be honest, I do eat "clean" -- that means that I avoid processed foods as much as possible and thus, I just avoid protein shakes that are premanufactured.

Now, if I sit down and put food in a blender and call that a protein shake because I added nuts to it or a raw egg, then sure, I might do that (I don't!).

I try to eat as minimally processed as possible and it is possible to eat low carb, moderate fat/protein to get up to 1500 calories. It just required rethinking how to eat.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Not a fan. But I appreciate that it helps others so more power to them.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote