Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 04:22 PM   #1  
Movin' and Losin'

Question Caffeine or No Caffeine??

How many of you consume caffeine? I was curious as the Atkins Diet suggests eliminating caffeine completely. If you do consume caffeine, does it effect you? Does it make you have sweet cravings? I was curious because it would be nice to be able to have a diet soda at a restaurant, where they typically don't have "caffeine free" diet sodas. It would be nice to have a break from water every once in awhile. Thanks for the input!

Take care,
Jina
Old 10-09-2003, 08:52 PM   #2  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

I "decaffeinated" myself when starting Atkins....and I feel much better for doing so. While I do have the occasional diet coke (aspartame/caffeine) when I'm out and nothing else is available, I do try and stick to caffeine free drinks.

I have found an excellent decaf rich/bold tasting coffee at Starbucks (decaf Sumatra) which blows any other decaf out of the water (right now I am having a cup, french press style with real cream). I am now very used to drinking decaf and have no problems as most places do carry it as well.

So not sure what my weight loss would have been with the caffeine??? but many low carbers still drink caffeinated coffee and says it does not seem to slow their weight loss efforts.

Froufy
Old 10-10-2003, 02:13 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 181/158.8/135

Height: 5'5"

I haven't given up my diet cokes with caffeine I drink about 3 oof them a day.
Well I may nave to try cutting back to decaff. and see if it does help, It was too much for me to cut the carbs and bive up the diet coke when I started in May. But I might be able to handle it now.

dinki
Old 10-10-2003, 08:58 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

The first two week on induction I had 0 caffeine, but after that I couldn't take it lol... I drink 24 oz of FULL STRENGTH!! coffee a day. What can I say, I just love my coffee
Old 10-10-2003, 10:56 AM   #5  

I still have my morning coffee fully leaded, and I don't know if it's made any difference in how much weight I lose or not. I do drink decaf beverages whenever there's an option to do so, but I'm not a fanatic about it.

Moderation.. it's all about the moderation.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:39 PM   #6  
Each Bite of Sugar...

I "Decaffeinated myself" as Froufy says about 3 years ago. I had to - it was getting to the point that one Diet Coke or cup of coffee after 9am would keep me up half the night. I'm not kidding! I was that sensitive to it.

Then, I got pg, and had no reason to go back on it... then I was nursing and pumping for 18 months and avoided it because it directly affected my dd the ONE time I shared a can with dh.

Then, I went on Atkins, and once again have no reason to subject my poor body to it again - though dh has gone back to drinking it.... but he's paying for it.

No caffeine here - but lots of decaf iced tea (Lipton) and the occasional decaf Americano with real cream and Splenda (about 9 carbs!) from the local Barista.

I really have to focus on water or I don't drink enough.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:50 PM   #7  

Why would caffiene be bad anyway? I have coffee, drink lots of water, and I am losing weight. I do not think these tales are true... Why would it cause a sweet craving?
Old 10-10-2003, 04:12 PM   #8  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Don't have my book in front of me but I believe Dr. Atkins states that caffeine has been known to cause insulin spikes and therefore can initiate cravings.

In my opnion, there is no benefit to drinking caffeine...after all it is just another addiction is it not? And one will never know whether it did or did not affect your weight loss if you did not cut it out....but it is a decision each person must make. It may slow down the weight loss but if you are willing to make that concession then by all mean enjoy!

Froufy
Closed Thread